Lap time differences Controller vs Wheel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Daza_NZ, Jun 17, 2017.

1. FS7

FS7 Registered

Controller settings depend on your driving style and which assists you're using. Are you a precision driver with gradual precise inputs or are you a on-off/tap steer type of driver?

I'd suggest leaving throttle/brake sensitivity at 100%, imo it's best for getting a good feel of the car and learning gradual inputs.
    About the understeer issue I'd suggest decreasing speed sensitivity, maybe around 50-60%, see if that helps. Afaik speed sensitivity is related to how the game interpret fast inputs (at 0% cars are twitchy and very sensitive to fast inputs, at 100% steering can feel slow and unresponsive imo). If you still feel that steering isn't responsive enough you could try increasing steering rate to around 30-50%. Another thing to check is vehicle set/steering wheel range, some cars have SWR set too high imo, I uncheck the vehicle set option and set custom SRW to 300 for open-wheelers and 360 for everything else, values much higher than that can make cars feel too twitchy imo.
    The steering sensitivity settings at the bottom seems to act as some sort of filter in case you use more input than needed (increasing it filters excessive steering inputs).

I'm an average player, I try to be smooth with my inputs, I play all my racing games on a Xbox 360 controller, abs-low depending on car, auto clutch, all other aids off, manual transmission. I use left analog stick for steering, right stick to look around, triggers for throttle/brake, Y to shift up, X to shift down, A for clutch (race starts only). All videos on my Youtube channel were recorded using a controller.
    I never liked right analog stick for throttle/brake, triggers seem more precise and less likely to slip off my fingers. Hitting X/Y to shift gears feels comfortable for me, some people prefer using the shoulder buttons to shift gears.
    My controller settings:
    Steering rate - 40%
    Steering sensitivity - 60%
    Vehicle set - no
    Steering wheel range - 300-360
    Steering sensitivity - 50%
    Throttle sensitivity - 100%
    Brake sensitivity - 100%

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  2. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

Deal!

3. rocketjockeyr6

rocketjockeyr6 Registered

I for one would love to see a video of you with the Porsche 917k on your controller.
    Thats one example of a car that requires some good heel-toe to be as fast as possible.
    Take it for a spin at Rouen Les Essarts and post your PB.
    Mine is a 1:44.256: http://internationalsimracing.liveracers.com/Live?server=~IsR~Summer Cup Rouen

4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Sorry, not able to do vids! But I will try that car some day.
    Said that, I wont try to beat you on a combo where you have propably 10000 laps on and I havn´t driven this at all since now!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  5. Daza_NZ

Daza_NZ Registered

Thanks guys for all your suggestions and input. @peterchen i did want you said and assigned throttle and braking to the right stick, steering on the left stick. I have always used triggers for throttle and brakes on other racing games (although they were more sim-cade like Forza) so it was weird doing this with the stick. I started to get the hang of it after about 20 laps or so, but oddly enough i didnt beat my best time that i set with the triggers lol. Just about over a half second slower. Since you use a controller Peterchen I couldn't trouble you to set a time on the Loch Duncan (short) track in the BMW Rahal Letterman #90 car (although that car might of been part of a mod pack?) just set a fast time i can use as a yard stick. My best was 1.05 something (i failed to record it properly) however using the stick for throttle etc my best was 1:06.225 I am sure you will probably get closer to the 1 min mark since you are a seasoned player, but still would be good for me to have a yard stick to know how far i need to improve.
    If anyone else wants to set a best lap time on that track with that car is welcome maybe challenge one another as two of you did in this thread already with another car and track.

I know i have a lot of improvements to make. One being i need to starting doing manual gear changing as to use the engine braking better, ive left it on auto just to learn the track and get the hang of using a controller then i can focus on gears, as changing gears at the wrong time or wrong gear can spin you off the track too.

@FS7 I will try out your recommendations for setup as well, i will create a new profile and give it a go.

@CamiloNino I will give a go of setting TC to low, i was going to eventually turn off driving aids much later on when i got everything else sorted, but i guess the earlier the better, but might wait until i got the controller settings sorted first. I like your idea of turning the engine sound down to hear the tires better, tire wear is one worry i have with a controller, setting fast lap times means nothing in a race if you kill the tires too early. Speaking of which, is there any info/manual for the game that tells you what the color codes for the brakes LCD panel that indicates status of each tire? i can guess blue is cold and red is hot (a no brainer) but there was purple and pink shades of color too I noticed- which maybe means overheating? What color is ideal to try and keep them at as an indication of you are looking after the tires during a race? as this might be a good guide in driving behavior - going fast but looking after the tires.

A wheel would be nice but even budget ones often don't have FFB which is a waste of time, i think i would be looking at $350-500 for a decent wheel which is a lot of dough for a game. I could look for a second hand one- but you never know its true history or condition. Anyone recommend a budget conscious vs quality wheel that has FFB i could look at for pricing here in New Zealand.

6. rocketjockeyr6

269 attempted, 153 complete, 116 clean. ;) The car is pretty new to rF2, still only version 0.76
    And honestly, not in the sake of competition, but comparison, and curiosity. I still struggle believing that a super skilled controller user would have a tough time keeping with a mediocre driver with a good wheel set up.(Not saying thats us, just theoretical :))
    If you have an nvidia card, you can use the "nvidia share" from the geforce experience to capture frames at high quality with no fps penalty. If not, no worries, I'll take your word for it. :) Like I said, I'm simply curious. :cool:

Cheers
    rocket

7. rocketjockeyr6

Cant quote anything about your area, but here in the US, I was fortunate to happen upon a sale where a brand new open box G27 was $200US. Normally they are $300.
    A lot of people bag on the G27, but I havent regretted it yet, going on 5 years strong now.
    Cheers, and good luck. Im positive that if you end up with one, you wont regret it. At least, until you get the fever and sell your car for a fancy rig. :D:D

Christopher Snow likes this.
  8. Daza_NZ

Daza_NZ Registered

Thanks Rocket, it seems the G27 is phased out, is the G29 the next model version of it?

Another problem i see is setting up to use the pedals properly, i dont think a normal computer desk and chair is going to be comfortable with using pedals. I know hardcore sim racers use a proper rig for sitting in to use the pedals, there are some steering wheel stands that cater for pedals as well for about $180. It aint a cheap hobby- but certainly cheaper than real racing even at club level.

9. rocketjockeyr6

Yes, but Ive read that a bunch of games, including rF, dont have proper support for G29... Its crazy though, I am seeing them used for way more than I payed for it new. :confused:
    Personally, my G27 is strapped to a kitchen table, and the pedals are duct taped to the linoleum floor, and the wall behind me is what keeps my computer chair from rolling away. XD
    I would love a proper rig, but this is the way Ive been driving since the start... it works. :cool:

10. peterchen

peterchen Registered

What is the exact name of the mod? Link?

11. Barracuda

Barracuda Registered

I second the used wheel option,
    I found an old, slightly beat up G25 on craigslist for $65,
    and have been abusing it for over a year now,
    one of the best investments I have made in a while,

12. Daza_NZ

Daza_NZ Registered

13. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

14. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

What does steering rate do? when we set it higher what are we doing exactly?
    Is it just for controller or does it affect the wheel as well?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  15. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Affects all controllers. Sets the degrees of tyre-turn-in at given degree of wheel-movement
    More is more here.

16. rocketjockeyr6

It is not linear though. If you picture it as a graph; where the horizontal plane is the controller input, and the vertical plane is the game output; increasing the rate will make the graph arc upwards like a hill, while decreasing will essentially bend it the other way, curving like a ramp.
    EXAMPLE
    upload_2017-7-6_0-16-0.png
    Ignore the "FFB" part of the graph label and picture it as input/output. Same concept applies, it is the curves of the graph I use for reference here.

Cheers
    rocket

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Steering rate is purely for digital controls (keyboard, button, etc). It doesn't affect analog controls like a steering wheel.

The shape in the graph above very loosely resembles steering axis sensitivity. Though the graph itself is labelled for STS, another topic entirely.

18. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Oh, I guess I got it wrong!? I thought he means steering lock in garage....
    Sorry!

19. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

Steering rate is meant to control how a digital input is converted to an analog one, specifically at what speed. Since a digital goes straight from 0 to 100%, steering rate adjust how quickly that will happen in the analog output, helping you be smooth with it, at the cost of input lag.

peterchen and rocket talking about steering lock and steering sensibility, it is neither of those.

And to clarify steering rate does affect analog inputs, maybe it is disabled for wheels, but it affects my controller. So in that case you really want it to 100% (or close to 100% if your stick has some noise), otherwise you are introducing unnecessary input lag to your stick steering input.