Karts v1.14 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't think you're doing anything wrong... the wheel is just a fair bit below your head, and quite close, so if your FOV doesn't show it you can't see it. That's a drawback (sort of) of having a realistic eyepoint and using a realistic FOV.

*Oh, and regarding the earlier body movement discussion... it could make quite a difference between the haves and have-nots, plus it's open to abuse with people mapping it to various controls/inputs and creating virtual body movement that couldn't be done in real life. You could try to limit the movement allowed, based on current conditions and g-forces etc, but really... it's probably best the way it is :)

2. Alex_

Alex_ Registered

No, you are not capable of this thing, the rift take the x,y,z,rotation,pitch,yaw of your head... So keep your head motionless and see how far your body can do, and while you are driving you don't do crazy movements... So you can do a very good estimation of your body, it's not millimeter accuracy, but together of virtual g-force it's enough...

3. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Thanks Lazza i take it as is then.

4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

So you can keep your head motionless while racing a normal race car in rF2? So you can then reserve head movement to substitute for body movement in the karts? You must be an Olympic-level athlete, then. My head moves naturally to look around or to glance ahead at an apex before I get to a corner, etc. If I was in a motion simulator, in addition it would move in response to g-forces. I am still perplexed how any controller could pick out of all of that certain movement that I intend to mean body lean.

Let's assume that motorcycle racing sims and games are very popular (way more than karts). They need the same leaning capability to be truly authentic. Where are the controllers or rigs that can do it for those people?

5. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

For karts, try setting your seat to -75 and -50, should look nice that way

6. Alex_

Alex_ Registered

Have you ever tried the oculus rift?
    If not try it...
    You assume the static position of the ass "attached" on the seat, and the dynamic position of the head by the oculus. Then you assume the body is between the head and the ass... Finish.. It's pretty accurate to me...

7. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Will do. Thank you.

Edit. I will have to do this in player json? Bcause seat movement with controler buttons aint working

8. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered

its working for me in game..you need to asing them manually then, from controller tab

9. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Perhaps this video helps clear up the confusion? ( abouts 40 seconds in)

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

No, sorry, has no relevance. I said I have already used TrackIR. You don't control a train by leaning your body. And I have TS2015...

11. Eddy

Eddy Registered

I have and in other cars it is working, but problem is sorted i uninstalled karts and downloaded them again.....installed and seat movement is working.
    Thanks for you help guys.

12. kaptainkremmen

Then I am missing the point. I assumed the reference to the rift was simply to allow the x-axis to be assigned to 'lean or 'body lean' or whatever. Perhaps not to mimic exactly what the human body does in real life but to provide an approximation of the driver shifting his weight to the side. (moving the driver CoG)

I'll bow out graciously :)

13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

To drive a real kart properly, like a motorcycle, requires the use of your body weight leaning into corners. Trains and even F1 cars don't have anything like that. I am doubting that any current/known controller can separate the head movement that is useful for ALL situations (karts, cars, trains, bikes) from the body movement needed only for karts and bikes. Others disagree, but haven't yet presented any evidence of how this is being implemented. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that I haven't seen it yet.

I believe Alex_ thinks that an Oculus Rift can do it, but I am still unable to understand how it is distinguishing between head movement and lean when it is only attached to your head. The head movement can be the same with or without lean and vice versa, you can have lean-induced head movement that you do not want to be interpreted as head movement, but will be by the controller. Sea sicknesses is what I imagine it feels like if you try to mix the two together in a head movement controller that can't tell the difference.

14. Alex_

Alex_ Registered

A line can be described as to points, the first point is static, is the butt, the second points is dynamic, is the head, basically i assume the body is that line, i know the body can slightly differ from that line (cause we have a neck, cause the spinal cord is not rigid ecc ecc), but for me it's pretty accurate... You need to determine how the weight is distribuite around the kart/motorcicle, not to make a kinect game...

15. Minibull

Minibull Member

While the arguement about bikes and body position is kind of valid, in terms of a game or sim, it can be simplified down to the following. The rider is doing pretty much the same thing corner to corner and that can therefore be automatically taken into account as part of the game when cornering, etc.

Hanging off the inside of the bike while cornering, pushing himself off as far as possible when getting the power down out of the corner, putting weight through the outside peg to get better traction on exit and weight on the inner peg on entry, standing/leaning forwards putting weight on the front of bike when accelerating to help keep the nose down and accelerate faster, and keeping his weight as far back when braking to stop the rear coming up and brake as fast as possible. While obviously there are slight variances corner to corner and definitely variances rider to rider, it is going to be the same for the most part, lap after lap.
    We don't need a bike sim where the player can be the one controlling it. It isn't needed and can be simulated fine by automatic means.

It's why I'm intrigued with this function that Tim talked about. If it in some ways allows the sim to perform that weight shifting suitably and reliably as it is needed, then it makes perfect sense to me. No-one misses out as they don't have a head tracker/motion controller, and certainly none of the discussion over head vs. body movement lol.

16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I don't agree. I agree with Alex_ that it would be great to fully simulate the true experience of karts or bikes. I just don't think the technology exists to do it properly (worth bothering), yet.

An automatic feature is better than no automatic feature for realism. But it adds nothing to the competitive aspect of online racing because it just eliminates (equalizes) one of the main areas where competitors could out-do each other.

17. speed1

speed1 Banned

I'm with Marc here. Why we shouldn't need realistic simulation of involved physical motion, the in this context even has an influence on some momentum, as well as on the authenticity of the total result.

edit: ............not everything is needed or possible immediately, but i have nothing against the evolution in time.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2015
  18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

So fortunately it sounds like ISI does simulate this aspect for realism. It just isn't user-controllable. So as soon as a viable controller is available, it will be relatively easy for ISI to open it up to a controller assignment.

19. kaptainkremmen

I'm curious if anyone can tell in this video when I was 'hanging off' the side of my chair and whether it looks like body weight transfer or not?

[video]https://youtu.be/AUH6oIxy24M[/video]

20. speed1

speed1 Banned

Ah ok. I'm sure it will become more intresting the day we have body motion and weight sensing, while the weight and pressure distribution could be easly done by pressure sensing in the seat or a specific underbody with pressure sensing.