Jeremy Miller tweets (Senior Programmer at ISI)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TIG_green, Feb 21, 2013.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Jeremy had to rebuild the tools used to make builds. So, yes, there's been a large chunk of time where he personally was doing something not noticeable, except in the fact it'll make things better going forward internally. It's not always going to be a huge hurrah (from the customer perspective) with what each dev puts in.

We did have some vacation breaks among the devs. Not an excuse, just an FYI.

Sent from a mobile device using Tapatalk

2. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

It could be interresting to get some kind of "I Like" button, I will had click on both last smart messages (K & Tim). I'm a devs too and fully understand those posts.

"Expect nothing, you'll be surprised" - me ;)

3. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

LOL...I want a tattoo for that one! :D

4. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

5. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

If I recall, isn't there also the change to C++11?

6. Niksounds

Niksounds Registered

noooooooo .. no good news for this week.
    ok.. patience eheh =)

7. 88mphTim

VC11, C++11, compilers, testing tools are mainly what I've seen him pulling his hair out about.

8. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

@jeremymmiller 1h
    Unfortunately this weeks build did not pass testing.
    :(

9. F1 2004

F1 2004 Registered

What a suprise.

10. Capeta

Capeta Registered

Damn, again ?!

11. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

12. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Is this mean at least two additional weeks, or is there already in testing phase this week build, which can be released next week if test passed?

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

No probs, just keep working on it & release a really really good one when it's ready (-;

14. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

The time is very long now since the last build ... A bit worried by the maturity of theses build :(

15. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Last week I sent tech support a list of observations following SimHQ Motorsport's 12 Hours of Sebring ... it may be that these issues are also being looked at now.

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I'd prefer them just to release a hefty big really good update (which may or may not be the case when it does come)
    Then lots of smaller ones, hopefully their making things better for modders too.

The last couple of updates (combined ) were good so here's hoping for the next one, when it's ready

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

This is not to directly quote you but something I've noticed, one of the things constantly coming up in this thread...:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...your-thoughts-on-rFactor2-in-25-WORDS-or-LESS

...was the Slow Progress of RF2 and I put it into a few areas:

1) People have been spoilt with pCars weekly builds where they state everything that's changed in the changelogs (whereas ISI dont), so they expect RF2 to have much more based on each Build release and get upset when the Changelog appears to be quite small after weeks between Builds.

2) ISI have a small team and not all of them work on coding the game itself, this argument for me holds water now but Kunos have a similar sized team so there will be comparisons made on this when AC gets released. For me though that's a good enough answer....others not, they expect ISI to work 24/7 :rolleyes:

3) General public just dont realise how small the dev team actually is, they play other PC titles and just expect ISI to have 50+ staff all working on the game at once, so they simply dont know the basic fact that ISI are small and therefore think the progress is slow. If they knew then maybe they'd be ok with progress.

4) Things Jeremy/Gjon/Whoever are working on in the background may well be for future areas of the game, it's not always going to be about the next Build, they maybe doing things for future Builds now to get ready for that period...therefore we will (and already have) get two Builds fairly similar then one day get some new Tech added that started being written into the code months ago.

Just some food for thought :)

18. C3PO

C3PO Registered

I agree -- I think the several builds a week model with pCARS -- which is an amazingly efficient and effective development system they have at SMS, don't know how they manage to keep it up week in and week out!! -- is something that means we've come to expect it elsewhere too. The guys know what they are doing and how to get it right.

One point worth considering is that for commericial users, the plethora of exes is not helpful as engineering $$$s are required to adapt the local content to fit that new exe. A Big Bang release and then half a dozen significant updates over the next six months / year is probably something that commercial users would appreciate.

19. 88mphTim

It's a weekly schedule.

20. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Ok, thnx.