Jeremy Miller tweets (Senior Programmer at ISI)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TIG_green, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

2. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Jeremy Miller ‏@jeremymmiller 13h hours ago:

"Build 876 is built and ready for testing"

3. TJones

TJones Registered

I assume it's an internal one, as i can't find it in the forum or Dev Corner.
    Anyway, good news!

4. Ekimelyobo

Ekimelyobo Registered

I'm guessing we don't have the content to test this build....

5. F1 2004

F1 2004 Registered

Is this build with tire model changes?

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

That is the million dollar question. :)

I have a feeling that something really big is about to go down come November... :)

7. arneschoonvliet

arneschoonvliet Registered

Let's hope so! Maybe UI changes to!

8. speed1

speed1 Banned

Yeah, it is also imperative necessary when you look at the daily member and guest login numbers of the forum.

9. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Okay, I'll bite... :) What do you mean by that exactly? Is forum visits somehow related to possible changes in the upcoming build?

10. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

It's pretty obvious, but here it is anyway: something amazing needs to happen to generate some bigger interest in the game, since many weren't happy with the current progress and left to seek greener pastures.

11. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Here we go again... *Yawn*

12. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Oh yeah I see... because the frequency of visits to the forum gives a completely reliable insight into how popular the sim is and how many are using it and what they think about it.

No wait. It doesnt. Sorry, my bad. :rolleyes:

13. Depco

Depco Registered

Forum visits don't, but online server populations do. It would be interesting to see a graph of those numbers and how they have changed over time. I only have a sense of those numbers based on my own experience... Based on my experience, it has been falling steadily. A decline in population would be expected after the 1.0 release of AC, since it is the new shiny, but the numbers appear have been falling since before then. Again, just my observations from the short time I have been involved in rF2. (about 8 months or so)

14. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

It's funny, I have noticed a significant increase in online server population this past month.
    Tiger Moth and especially the NSX have got people racing again.
    The Honda have really started a new increased interest for rF2 around the web it seems.
    Really good stuff.

Before that things looked at bit grim tbh, but it's definitely picking up now.
    People will grow bored with AC online pretty quickly I reckon, seeing how it's basically just rammers and kids dive bombing and wrecking each other.
    Those races man... beyond travesty, I say... :rolleyes:

15. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

RE: numbers in servers

Thus far we had one great season with the URD eGT mod, but it's died a death. So much so I have stopped the series early in order to try other things. I put this down to bigger "names" within the community running the mod, people putting their time in to those and thus ours is nigh on empty. This is fine by me, the community vote with their participation. It was suggested I mirror someone like VEC in terms of calendar but with sprint races, lessening the workload on people needing to do setups. I wasn't interested in going that route.

Our Clio series, while initially quiet, enjoyed a field 20+ strong last saturday evening. This is on again tonight and will continue to be while people remain interested.

Our BTCC series has done really well. Each meeting has in the upper teens of drivers and produces fun events.

I think, in part, it is up to the league admins like myself to recognize what others are doing within the community and try to offer something different and desireable. In part, not being afraid to try something new.

As part of this I operate an open server policy, they're never passworded. Some see this as a risk but I like the idea of anyone coming on the matchmaker on a friday or saturday night knowing that we will have something to race, should they choose. In an environment where they don't have to go and find a password and that everything downloads correctly from the server.

I don't see a decline at all but I don't really see an increase either. We're ticking a long nicely to a point where it is remaining viable to keep paying for a dedicated server, at least.

It's not as doom and gloom as a lot of people like to say it is.

16. Tony

Tony Registered

Yes, we've had several open-server Saturday evenings recently & they've generally been good, & good fun too. But we do get maybe 2 reckless drivers out of 17-18, & they do have to be kicked out before the race starts..

So it does work if you're not afraid to operate "tough love" :p

17. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

For sure. I basically use my judgement. One act of.....odd behavior, I let it slide. On the second, they get a warning. On the third, no messing, IP ban.

Last week in the Clios I IP banned Four guys. Two were wreckers. The third and fourth I saw in chat "You're gunna get sent". I looked at the replay, they were ramming each other. Goodbye.

Then we continued and had a brilliant race.

18. bwana

bwana Registered

An amazing number of servers on mm list but id guess 75% empty mostly. Our league keeps ticking along catering for Australasian racers and are trying a combined league with our Malaysian friends. As content increases and as ac drivers look to challenge themselves as sim racers numbers will increase. Luckily we have some pretty awesome offline racing with rf2 to bide time.

19. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Lol... best thing I read today :)

20. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Question for Jeremy, or others who could answer: Is there a particular problem with shadow rendering in 880, or is it just my imagination? It's the old "shimmering shadows" problem, with very poor AA, but only on shadows. The rest of the scene looks normal as per AA and AF settings.