Jeremy Miller tweets (Senior Programmer at ISI)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TIG_green, Feb 21, 2013.

1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Don't count on it being subtle, mate. Anything but subtle, I'd suspect. :)
    I'm sure it'll make for a huge change in rF2. After all, the tires are the only part of the car actually in contact with the road.
    I'm sure it'll feel like a big change.

2. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

If anything, I bet it will go in the exact opposite direction. To me, it seems like the problem is the outside edges of the tire don't get used as much as they should so you aren't getting as much rubber on the road as you should.

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

we will see,

I actually think the current tire model in rf2 is very good, it was only after using the Indy car on the oval for a while that there was something that I thought was a little missing, then Tim mentioned a contact patch improvement & for me the penny dropped

high speed ovals (more than any other scenario) will show any sluggishness in a tire model, whilst the current tires are pretty good
    I think a little bit of extra sharpness / twitchy-ness will improve them a lot but I think this will only be noticeable at the "fine edge"
    of grip & overall subtle changes/improvement , I could be wrong but I don't expect anything major and maybe a radical change of direction isn't needed as the base (to build slightly further on) is good already.
    best not expect anything radical just a refinement

I'm rambling on a bit but hope I've explained it & of course I could be off the mark.
    also maybe an updated version of the Indy might come at the same time would make sense

p.s I hope this effect all cars across the board whatever track etc.

pps maybe my opinion is also influenced by the Iracing Indy version (which I have not used extensively ) as I've obviously not drove at high speed on oval tracks in real life

4. bwana

bwana Registered

Think EB could be right.,contact patch across the entire tyre with more force applied to inside due to camber on inside wheels

Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_218 using Tapatalk

5. Coanda

Coanda Registered

I really hope it solves the crowning centre temp issue.

6. speed1

speed1 Banned

The effective friction surface to detect in real time is certainly something that the programmer already do in real time while testing a tire, and I hardly think the programmer outputs a model which does not fully exploit the effective area.

I rather think that the main factor is the temperature distribution is not processed correctly and the behavior of a dynamic model comes closer to a static model. The influential is strongly, as the warming of the internal air is important because it affects the dynamic change in shape of the tire as well.

Dynamic pressure change = Dynamic surface change = Effective usable space/surface

Maybe that's friction model in general which also is not optimal.

There are so many possibilities, to know you would have to talk to the programmer or be a clairvoyant. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2014
  7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Agreed, but the odds of it being "sharper" after improvement are close to zero. It should be more progressive and natural feeling (or there isn't much point to changing it).

8. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

With new tire model it will be harder to drive badly. Tires won't like it so bad driving is gonna be punished more. So it will benefit the drivers with proper techniques.

Also there isn't much wrong with outer edges of the tire. It is tire specific, not tire model specific. Some tires are built to work differently to others. It requires a small tweak, sure but it is not like outer edge doesn't do anything and isn't working.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2014
  9. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

I reckon what will be also improved dramastically is the effects of the tyre preasure on the contact patch and grip, as that is currently rather bad.

10. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Right now it is bad. Pressures are now for me no1 feature that is missing/not working properly.

11. speed1

speed1 Banned

Yes, I find them too vague in general, particularly in lateral acceleration with slip and slide but I can not say that it is the tire itself, it could also be the mediated feedback or how it is treated in connection with the steering wheel FFB.

I could test it with a pad or steering wheel without feedback but had seen no reason because the developers themselves the surface and temperature distribution described as unfinished.

We will see. :)

12. stonec

stonec Registered

I see nothing that would necessarily indicate contact path updates in next build. From dev Q&A a year ago:

Q: Can we expect some improvement in the tyre physics? How are the development priorities for tyre physics?
    A: Yes. Medium (currently behind new constraint system, multiplayer collision, and improved driveline).

The tire model is still same as a year ago as far as I know. Also remember that even an internal build has to be tested for quite a while before it's release ready, so even if a contact path change was already made, it wouldn't still likely appear in the next build.

13. TJones

TJones Registered

Agree!
    I just said, i hope it make it in the next build. All the improvements whith higher priority than tyre physics improvements are done, so most probably it's on top of they're list now.
    Also "improvement of contact patch" could mean everithing between a minor update of the actual placeholder, up to a complete solution which could include realistic temp interaction between ground and tyre surface. So you are able to cool down your rain tyres on the wet side of a partly dry track.

To me, an updated contact patch model would be the most interesting update since the new constraints system. I don't think it would necassairily increase CPU load to much, i think precise values about contact patch are pre calculated using the TGM tyre tool, therefor the time-critical realtime model can use the values of the lookup data of the TGM file. But this is speculative of course. :)

IMO a more realistic contact patch could have a remarkable change of how the tyre feel at the limit, we also have to take care very much on tyre pressure, and suspension geometry (camber, toe in/out). Most of our setups have to be updated than.

14. Rik

Rik Registered

15. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Not sure why it is so often assumed that realism = difficulty (twitching, handling, etc). Totally depends on the person driving to interpret difficulty, and they do that only from their own perspective on their own driving. Not worth getting into, like the "noobish" thread right now complaining things seem easier, or the tire changes being talked about after the last build, when there weren't any. You can't argue when, for them, they're right. That's their interpretation. I'm sure it'll be the same way when the contact patch changes come in. Depending on how people drive, some (most, IMHO) will be finding it more difficult to make tires last. Some won't.

16. Carlo

Carlo Registered

"Reminder, next build will not support XP"

Finally! Now rF2 can progress with modern library support. DX11 anyone?

17. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

And what is it exactly you would like DX11 for? Motion blur PP or displacement maps on drivers fingers?

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

what is this obsession with dx11 - small visual effects/eye candy in which most people will have to keep switched off surely are fairly insignificant for racing simulation, I understand the opinion that it's more efficient (less gpu load) but I've never experienced this on the dx11 titles I've tried (when switching it back to dx9 )

Tim -yes they'll be all sorts of claims/views when it comes to tire changes however minor the change may be

19. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Because 11 is 2 more than 9 so that gives it a +2 shiny awesome nobodyknowswhytheywantit buff :D

20. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Because people are avoiding rF2 simply because it lacks DX11 support. ISI needs to update the sim and bring it forward. DX9 is simply unacceptable in a current gen game. The masses out there use that as a benchmark for how advanced a game is- regardless of whether it is or not.