Jaggies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mulero, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Not related with Anti-Aliasing...

OK, now a bit more explanation.
    What you see, is not a problem with 3d geometry but with textures. AA is responsible to mostly smooth out jaggies on 3d objects. The problem you see is with sharpness of textures. They are too sharp and that's why you see what you see.
    On nVidia, the problem goes the other way - without Anizo filtering, you see blurred lines (instead of jaggies on Ati). In rF 1, problems with jaggies on textures was even more pronounced as many track creators were using negative LOD bias, to sharpen low res textures a bit more, they were using.
    You have an Ati card, so try lowering Anizo filtering a bit, like to x8 or x4 and see how much blur you get in place of those jagged lines. You still might want to use SS x2 (combined with AAx4).

Of course, it doesn't mean nVidia users have easier life... we also have problems with that. Of course, the best results are with SSx4 with MSAAx8 but... not everyone has such powerful cards that could handle such settings ;-)

What about the "other" games, where "it's OK and no jaggies"? Well, I guess those might be like Grid/Grid 2, Shift etc. where you have so much blur anyway, that you can't see those imperfections. Fire up Crysis 1 (for me, that's one of THE best looking games) and believe me, you will have jaggies (but not that much pronounced, due to specific scenery).

Level 8 = 32xCSAA. In general, AA levels in rF config represents available settings in drivers' control panel.
    And 32xCSAA does look bad. Pick 8xMSAA override in the drivers settings (as I can't remember now, which AA Level is that in rF config) and you should see much improvement (well, that's the same AAx8 you'd pick in iR).
    As for textures - I always goes with AFx16 but obviously, the best results you get with SSx4 combined with MSAAx8.
    I remember though, I did test SSx2 with AAx4 in rF 1 (settings forced in nVidia Inspector) - still good looking but much better performance.

2. LowRider

LowRider Registered

For rf1 yes. In rf2 with a GTX560ti i get jaggies too, no matter what Anzio i use. Only way to get acceptable results for me is using min. 2x Sparse Grid Supersampling. Hope this will change in the near future.

3. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Still waiting for feedback from ISI.

4. Mulero

Mulero Registered

Do not know if it's something related to AA, just know that the only way to fix it (and not all) is using SSAA x8, which is crazy and totally unworkable.

Anisotropic filtering does nothing, using MSAA looks exactly like using that using x2 or x16.

But the problem is not the jaggies, the problem is the "vibration" that occurs in the textures using MSAA and it impossible to be more than 2 mnts. front of the screen.

View in HD.

That vibration is produced only by accelerating with the car stopped, driving whith the bumps is much worse.

This post is over a year ago and has not solved anything when it should be a priority. Using MSAA x8 I have 120/150 fps using x4 SSAA arrived just 60.

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it looks bad. I tried what I think were your suggested settings, but there was no improvement. In fact I couldn't tell the difference, so perhaps these are not even being applied properly?

My choices for AA are:

2x
    4x
    8x CSAA
    8x
    16x CSAA
    16xQ CSAA
    32x CSAA

I guess I stupidly thought the 32x CSAA was the "best."

AA Transparency options are:

Off
    Multisample
    2x (supersample)
    4x (supersample)
    8x (supersample)

So when you said pick 8xMSAA override in the drivers settings , I selected 8x and Multisample. I also tried 8x with 8x (supersample). And my original 32x CSAA with 8x (supersample) all look like crap in terms of the texture issue (that I thought was AA related).

Anyone have other options I should try? What's the best app to control all this assuming the nVIDIA control panel is not?

6. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I use Level 5 AA (application controlled, not via Nvidia settings) and I think it looks great. Plus, it barely has any impact on performance.

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Assuming performance was not an issue, what setting(s) should look best?

8. Jockenese

Jockenese Registered

If you have an nVidia card then LowRiders suggestion to use sparse grid supersampling works really well, although there is a big fps hit. You need to use nVidia inspector to make the change but there are lots of guides if you just search for sparse grid supersampling.

9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Wow, thanks to both of you (Jockenese and LowRiders)!

Jaggies finally gone where no other settings would succeed by using SGSS. Of course there is a massive performance hit, but at least I can see what rF2 should look like.

So what are the prospects that rF2 will be programmed like other titles and look good without using this extreme measure?

10. yokelhama

yokelhama Registered

I use a single screen @1920x1080 with a 2GB GTX670 + nvidia inspector to overide app settings @ 8xQ MSAA & 2xSGSS and manage to get acceptable frames with minimal jaggies. With 30 cars on a rainy start grid, fps will dip into 60's, otherwise it's around the 90's. 4xSGSS rids about 99% of the jaggies but at too high of a cost to fps. RF2 AA panel is set to none btw.

11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Yes, if you play around with various combinations, it is possible to use SGSS without killing frame rate! Now I can see where I am driving without all the distracting AA issues and shimmering shadows. Finally. Why the *&^% isn't this an option in the nVIDIA control panel?

12. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

WOW that is horrible. I can see complaining for that.

13. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Have you tried leaving your ATI settings "application-controlled" and then used the in-game AA options?

I find that ISI games should be left to handle their own settings.

14. Mulero

Mulero Registered

I have tried all possible options and only solved by using high levels of SSAA.

From the Build 218 something has changed with the AA, now or using SSAAx8 is achieved entirely solve this problem.

15. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

I just changed from ati to nvidia (gtx660 2gb) and I found awful lines and poor AA.

I set up nv inspector and there a presets for games to choose from. There is a preset for rf2 on mine so I fired that up and used level 3 in the config.

Game look and runs great, still with some jaggies but nowhere near before. Pcars is just as jaggy for me, and the same rf2 preset worked a treat on rf1 where I league race

16. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Here's what Level 5 AA looks like using only rF2's config utility – Nvidia profiles merely set to "application controlled".

Yes, there's room for improvement, but it looks great in motion and it's essentially free in terms of performance on my system.

[​IMG]

17. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

^ same with me. I was experimenting with Adaptive V-Sync too to get rid of tearing. The combination is silky smooth.

At this point all I'd like to do is get a little extra framerate headroom so I can enable HDR and Multiview at the same time.

18. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I may have to try Adaptive V-Sync, however, I don't see myself ever using HDR because I don't like how it looks.