Jaggies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mulero, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Mulero

Mulero Registered

I have a simple question and I would like to receive a clear answer from any of ISI.

Will you solve the problem with jaggies or we will continue using SSAA X8 to remove them?

Thanks. :)

2. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

Jaggies where? on shadows? Jaggies exist in every single game my friend, that's why Anti alaising exists in the first place.

3. Kiro

Kiro Registered

maybe, but 100 others.
    And here they come...

4. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Except the AA in rF2 doesn't work quite as well as in many other games. I'm one of the few who's not that bothered by them (I don't usually notice such minor details during racing), but if I really do look it's plain to see that at least on ATi cards the AA performance is lacking. 4xAA in rF2 is about equal in quality to 2xAA in Skyrim, for example. And on that note, it's the same in rF1 too, I run that with 8xAA and it's still pretty jaggy.

5. Mulero

Mulero Registered

Screenshots taken with Multi-Sampling AA X8 and 1080p resolution.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But it's not bad to see the screenshots, the problem is how bad view when the game is moving, when all textures are vibrating. (View video in HD)

This only solves (and not entirely) using Super-SamplingAA X8. This is crazy. Any game at 1080p using MSAA X4 looks perfect.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2012
  6. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Jaggies are bad in rF2 but much much better after the latest update.

Don't forget we are still BETA they should get 'fixed'.

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

There are about 20 threads on this already. As with rF1, you have to use SSAA to get rid of the jaggies. Kills performance big time. Choose to have playable frame rates or decent looking graphics without jaggies. You can't have both (unless you have the most powerful PC on the planet) at the native resolution of a high-end decent-sized screen.

8. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

I know I'm repeating myself, but in other games it can be done, so hopefully they'll tackle this issue at some point.

9. steve30x

steve30x Registered

No SERIOUSLY THIS IS A BETA?

10. Domi

Domi Registered

Then tell me why I can run iRacing (and we can give many more examples, but this is a simracing game too) with x4 or x8 without a big fps loss and clean AA? And certainly I don't have the most powerful PC on the planet.

11. DocJones

DocJones Registered

There's a huge difference between 'should get fixed' and 'will get fixed', and given that other racing sims don't require the use of SSAA for a steady picture that's a valid question in the first post, i think.

The reason beeing that this issue has not been satisfactorily answered by ISI in any of the previous 20 threads, I guess.

12. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

stupid question maybe... have you tried with fxaa? This helped a lot for me. (still not perfect but playable at least).
    Seeing that they implemented the fxaa, ISI seems anyhow to read the forum;)...

13. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

View attachment 1281

I think this is with everything on max. I'm more than pleased with the looks. I'd still like to see some fps improvements though.

I use Adaptive multi sample AA btw.

14. Mulero

Mulero Registered

Thanks for help Cracheur, but FXAA don´t solves nothing. Not a problem with my PC or my GPU or with the Drivers, is a graphics engine problem.

This problem was already in rFactor and is a big problem for the overall performance of the game. Having to use SSAA today is inadmissible. There are many systems to solve this problem, i'm not a programmer and do not know if these systems can be applied to rFactor2, but what if that, is to use SSAA is not the solution.

15. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I thought SSAA only works with DX10-11?

16. steve30x

steve30x Registered

How do you use Adaptive Multi Sample AA in rFactor 2? That looks very good

17. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

In your nvidea 3d gaming settings you should have AA mode. You can change it there. It's been awhile now since I've had a nvidea card so I can't remember specifics.

18. DocJones

DocJones Registered

Yeah, no doubt they are reading the forums and working on problems that get reported. :thumbsup:

I tried FXAA but had to use AA Level 3 (highest setting available for me), but without fps-gain compared to SSAA with AAx4 set in driver. SSAA x4 gives me a better image than FXAA x3, less washed out, so easy decision for me. Luckily now with build 60 my grafics card has 100% load instead of the ~70% with the previous build, so I can use SSAA with ~50fps+ in most situations. Still I'd love to see the jaggies go away with only MSAA since that is a really significant performance boost over SSAA and I could actually use some of the other gfx candies.

19. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

SSAA was what the early DX7 etc. cards were doing, it's the oldest (and most resource hungry) trick in the book.

20. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

So where are we with this?

I just switched from AMD to nVIDIA (needed a new card anyway) and although the performance is better (should be with a newer, much more powerful card), I am shocked at how bad the AA still is even when I am using Level 8. AA of shadows is especially bad.

I have also tried the control panel override of game settings and maxed everything out to 32x CSAA with 8x supersampling and of course 16x AF and it looks the same as Level 8 in-game--which is bad. PCARS and iRacing (and everythign else I can run) look generations better in terms of AA.

What are the "best" rF2 settings for a latest gen nVIDIA card? Maybe I'm doing something wrong that I still have the issues detailed above from a year and a half ago. The "texture vibration" and "shimmering shadows" are especially annoying.

I thought there were problems with AMD, but rF2 is clearly not optmiized to work with nVIDIA either.