ISI Servers PLEASE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ashes, Apr 13, 2015.

1. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

When the game IS NOT PLAYABLE 2.5 months a year, and other serious issues exist, how can that be a winning proposition? :confused:

But maybe your right, maybe ISI just does not care about the MP and do min required with it. If that is the case it would at least be good to hear direct from ISI! That is fine by me!

2. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Why not? Three years a go I was very much a casual playing Forza thinking that was the pinnacle of motorsports simulation. I knew no better. Everyone is a casual at some point.

A losing proposition to try and make the sim as attractive as possible on as many levels as possible? MP is for lightweights? What does that even mean?

Oh and add me to that list Associator, no league ending issues here, either. In fact, not even a single complaint in the last 12 months on my forums regarding rF2 save the normal "how to setup my FFB" posts.

3. stonec

stonec Registered

There were no bigger problems with FSR last year, not a single race was cancelled. I don't know what is better proof of stability than 100 drivers running in 3 different series every second weekend with each available build over the year. The worst thing we had happening was David Greco hit a "frozen" part of 1 cm debris, causing huge collision for no reason.

4. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

5. peterchen

peterchen Registered

+1 on Associator and Rich!

6. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

What about last 13 months? Was not the entire game down and out back then? No join button? :confused:

7. speed1

speed1 Banned

The last night i didn't know what to do and decided to ride something but i couldn't find something driving me high, no matter the soft, if from the north, the south or the west, where as the soft from tha south did the most bad job, followed from the soft of the north, the two soft of tha west did the best job, where the one of is free and the other is at home here but still couldn't getting me high, the one because it misses physical rf2 parts and rf2 the mother of all because it is incomplete on the car simulation part.

So what other than to wait i can do, or better, what i should use the multiplayer for in this state. :)

So i'm waiting as for sure a lot of others for different reasons do as well.

8. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Why would I care about something that happened over a year a go that has zero impact or relation to what's trying to be achieved now and is long since fixed?

Am I meant to say "Guys, guys, guys WAIT. Remember when that thing happened......you know.....that thing....ages a go? Don't try and do anything for the betterment of the community because, you know, something might go wrong one day some time in the future!".

Sorry, I don't get it.

9. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Originally Posted by P.S.R.

rF2 should be and is in the best position to cater to sim racers wanting something more serious...not recruiting / converting casual sim racers.

Why not? Three years a go I was very much a casual playing Forza thinking that was the pinnacle of motorsports simulation. I knew no better. Everyone is a casual at some point.

...and rF2 will be ready for them when they decide to get serious

Originally Posted by P.S.R.

It's a losing proposition and I think ISI knows this and is doing the minimum required to quiet the whiners but they know MP is for lightweights...

A losing proposition to try and make the sim as attractive as possible on as many levels as possible? MP is for lightweights? What does that even mean?

Yes, it is a losing proposition to be distracted by anything other than what serious sim racers need. Less than serious sim racers have plenty of options. When they are ready to get serious, we will be here for them 110%. Lightweights are people who use sim racing software without purpose rooted in skill and progression.

10. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Provably the most misguidedly elitest thing I've read on any sim racing forum.

11. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

If nothing separates serious sim racing from casual sim racing then casual sim racing = serious sim racing.

What separates serious sim racing from casual sim racing is the commitment to performance and performance improvement.

Any commitment to performance and performance improvement requires the ability to measure such.

There is no reliable way to measure performance in random environments against random opponents.

Pickup racing involves random races against random opponents in random environments.

Therefore, there is no way to establish even relative performance.

Therefore pickup racing is not serious and therefore is not worthy of distracting from serious pursuits. There's nothing anyone can do to prevent people from using serious SW to do silly things but neither should any serious sim racer agree that people are entitled to have serious SW support silly things.

To often, sim racers feel like they need to save ISI or sim racing or even the world or, worse, believe that ISI is responsible for saving the world. And, yep, that is silly indeed. Sim racers who believe they can save the world often end up making everything about themselves because what they want to do is save the world and that is noble and ISI is wrong if they don't agree and anyone who disagrees is elitist, racist, etc. etc.

Dudes, it's not about you. It's not about saving the world. It's about #*&#%&@$^#% sim racing.

rF2 is a serious simulator and to treat it as anything less is to tarnish the brand.

People get away with writing articles about "ghost towns" and will continue to do so until a grown up declares that there is plenty of racing to be had in leagues and if you cannot join a league then you can still do serious testing and also race against AI which represents a valid measurement of progress as you improve your results against consistent AI or achieve similar results against stronger AI.

Simple as that.

Without goals there can be no purpose. Nothing is fun in any lasting way that does not involve skills and the commitment to improve.

I would rather play a hard core video game based on skill than a sim based on nothing.

12. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

And that's your opinion and that's fine. There is nothing wrong with it, you clearly like to have performance metrics etc.

What's wrong with the guy who's had a hard day at work fires up his PC, loads rfactor 2 knowing there will be a server he can drop in to at 19:30 where other people will be, blasting the megane around Silverstone for some totally meaningless fun. Simply just to have a race, not worry about practising for hours and just enjoying himself in his own way for an hour or two?

13. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Rich, I see two of your servers...the Megane and the Clio....are they both just set to practice or rotate to other sessions?

As I'm already experimenting :p One of the biggest issues we'll have is to decide from where to start the session schedules. For example, you can set the start time at 8:00am, with 20 min sessions but by the time you fire up the server the time will be out of synch....so I am thinking of reading the server time directly instead of you putting into the json as like that it will be more accurate. Another thing is that there is a time between session, until the next session loads, so again time will get out of sync...but maybe the time to change sessions is always the same and I'll factor for that...

14. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I have two for pickup. "Pickup Skippy" and "pickup karts".

All of them are set to rotate sessions mate

15. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Perfect, this one right? What session are in rotation and the times each please?

[​IMG]

16. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

It would be very easy to write a plugin which can generate this session schedule json dynamically and would be able to read the MP.json to get the lengths and all that and would also be able to sent server chats to itself to advance and restart sessions if needed to keep it in alignment. There is no way to resume a session at a specific time other than doctoring the session lengths before starting the server. Maybe we can get ISI to implement a few things for this project.

Thanks to Stefan and Rich for being constructive. [emoji6]

17. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

They're both set to;

Practice: 20mins
    Qualify: 10 mins
    Warmup: 5 mins
    Race: 15 mins

18. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

So when you gonna start writing it? :p That's a great idea Noel :) But, first I'm gonna try to proof this concept, if it works, we'll make it automatic like you said.

To be honest, without ISI doing some enhancements, its going to be slightly messy as I wont be able to exactly match the session start time with the schedule or start/continue a session according to a schedule, but if server stays online it might work.

Thanks Rich, noted :)

19. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Nothing at all.

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I just had a thought. The /Mods/ folder is password protected... but I guess that doesn't matter if pickup racing is only going to happen on open servers. Nevermind. Carry on.