SOLVED Is there a way of just installing the rFactor2 Dedicated.exe?

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Bryan Birtwell, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

I can't find any way of getting my server to function properly on this build.

My server is running Server 2003.

I'm not even trying to run the 64bit version (I did try and it told my that the .exe wasn't a valid win32 program.).

When I double click on the rFactor2 Dedicated.exe file, an dialog box tells me that it can't find any mods and to install one... I've got everything I need installed.

Modmanager reports that all the components and vMODs I need installed are indeed installed.

I've tried taking the space out of the file name with no change. "rFactor2 Dedicated.exe to rFactor2Dedicated.exe"

I have not registered/activated the copy on my server. It's a VPS from NRT, you can't play on it anyways. I did activate it at one time to see if the
    "Auto update" would work on a server... it did... but it got me in some trouble. Multiple installations and usage on multiple IPs.

But, on earlier builds (770 and earlier) I didn't "need" to activate the game to use the rFactorDedicated.exe .

So... Is there any way of JUST installing the Dedicated server part of this game?

Any help would be most appreciated,

Bryan

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2014
  2. Radar

Radar Registered

Short answer no. You will need to install the full package (full package I mean Lite version is fine).
    You don't need to activate the game on the server, I've not once activated the game on my dedicated server.

Go to the Bin64 folder in the rFactor 2 installation folder and you will find the rFactor 2 dedicated.exe. Copy this shortcut to where ever and in the Target: should be the location eg "c:\rfactor2\Bin64\rFactor2 Dedicated.exe" +profile=ByranServer

ByranServer being your profile name under User directory (in rFactor 2).

In this folder you will also see the ModMgr to install the mods.

3. Bryan Birtwell

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not so sure that's the fix for me.

I've never HAD to activate rF2 on my server... I've been running it for 2.5 years. I chose to activate it at one time.

The only way I've had to modify any file to make the server work was the rFactor2 Dedicated.exe to rFactor2Dedicated.exe.

I installed all the MODs and vMODs I need to run the server the way I ran it during 770.

Do I need to run the 64bit version? I don't see any advantage whatsoever in running the 64bit Dedicated.exe. The server has 1 Gig of RAM.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but I don't know why why would I want to copy any file to "anywhere" to change its properties? Why wouldn't I do it where ever it is?

I have no profile name on the server for rFactor2. I believe that would require activating it. I won't do that unless IsI is willing to give me another license to use solely on the server.

Thanks,

Bryan

4. Bryan Birtwell

update:

Dave at NRT got it up and running last night. I don't know what he had to do to get it to function properly.

Thanks to all and especially Dave!

Thanks,

Bryan

5. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Hi Radar,

I have a similar problem:
    I´m yet on 32-bit and when I start the dedi.exe (without extensions over shortcut)
    I have this error message "...install at least one mod!".
    If I HAVE TO do the shortcut extension (+profile=playerbla): I don´t understood what you mean with
    "your profile name under User directory (in rFactor 2)." Where exactly do I have to look?

Thanks in advance!
    Greets
    Pete

EDIT: OK, got it! (with a little trial and error...)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2014