Is there a golden rule of thumb regarding the number of GMT road surface objects?

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Jorgen, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

I've been working on quite a few rFactor1 track conversions lately, and they have been in very varying standards. Some have had the whole road surface as a single GMT with a huge LODOut, while others have consisted of literally hundreds of GMTs with a relatively low LODOut. Is there any sort of golden rule for what gives best overall performance here?

2. ethone

ethone Registered

My hard rule is to keep them below 1MB in size. My aim is to keep them below 500kb. The lower boundaries depend heavily on what you're doing. If you have the white lines in a seperate object but keep them the same length as the proper RaceSurface objects they will be fairly small, between 25 and 100kb. The proper RaceSurface .gmts on my side are usually between 100 and 500kb.

Size should correlate with poly count quite well here, as the RaceSurfaces generally don't include large numbers of materials or different detached-to-element/smoothing group sections.

I've had a bad experience with using LODs on the RaceSurface objects when using it on the early versions of Fuji. Removing the LODing (i.e. setting LODout back to a high enough value they don't get LODed out) gave a performance boost.

3. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Thanks ethone!