is it me or the skip barber feels like it's on ice?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fedexpress, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Spadge

Spadge Registered

A first gear that covers 50% of the car's top speed, probably. ;)

2. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Must be national version as regional is not like that.

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Haha that is not something advised to do in real life lol.

I remember In a similiar car with similiar tyres, with very similiar gearing, and overal VERY VERY similiar driving characterisitics and grip, but on a different track, there was this tight 1st gear right hander, around a 90-ish degree tight right hander, not a long corner by any means, at the bottom of a hill, braking from 4th to 1st gear, and you had to really trail brake to get the back end out to point the car into the turn.

Well 1 of 3 things would happen...

A. You would go in the corner, take it nicely, turn in, feel a bit of understeer or oversteer(depending on what you were doing with the car) , therefore THINKING you were driving on the limit, clip the apex nicely, then get the power on for a nice exit, and then guess what, boogggggggg, noooo powwweerrrrrrrrr, stupid long 1st gear, stupid no torque engine, stupid no power under xxxx rpm........ finally get in the narrow power band, FINALLY, well you now have the guy that was a second behind you, ON YOUR ASS, maybe even along side you getting ready to slip inside for the next corner, and definetely going at a higher speed than you as you go to the next corner

B. You get the right idea, which is, you need to somehow carry more speed throughout the corner, so you try this the next lap, the entrance speed is great! You got the right idea, butttt.......... UNDERSTEEEERRRR you go straight off (almost literally) into the grass and dirt like a missile, possibly even stuck there, definetely ruining the tyres for a bit, maybe even ruining the car, or you somehow manage to keep half of the car on the track, or even all of it, but you missed the apex by a mile and you got so out of shape that you now got passed by 2 people, maybe 3 by the time you get to the next corner.

C. You keep on with the right idea of "B.", but you make sure you really use trail braking technique in order to rotate the car on initial turn in and 75% of mid-corner pre-apex phase, you then apply a decent amount of constant throttle (not really increasing or decreasing), in order to get the ass end nicely planted to stop over-rotation, possible spinout, etc. Then once you feel the back stabalized and are just about to clip apex you start increasing throttle, remember though you want to make sure there is still just a little bit of rotation going on in order to help get a little bit of wheel spin to help keep revs in a decent power band range (remember the higher mid corner speed helped the revs not drop as much), and you power out with a nice bit of "slip", not powersliding, but just some nice slip slip :)

Now that is in real life, I know no sim is perfect like real life, but try those general concepts (scenario "C" obviously lol) anyways. Try it in some turns in where the too little mid corner speed and therefore low revs, are toolow for any decent powering out. Get the car rotated early then use that higher mid corner speed to enable the revs to be higher, then use those higher revs/more power to allow you to exit the corner with some rear wheel slip, that little bit of rear wheel slip keeps you in the power band, therefore allowing you more power to exit, and allowing the lowest revs point of the corner to be at a higher rev point, and giving you better power on exit, and therefore hopefully a bit of self-induced rear wheel slip, in order to avoid bogging/being too under the power band.

and therefore and therefore and therefore and therefore, lol I need to work on my sentance structure lol.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. renard

renard Registered

The Skippy is a great "driving school" car, first you learn how to survive, then you learn how to drive, I think ISI have done a superb job with this car. If the iRacing Skippy drove like this one I'd race it a lot more often! lol.

5. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Great post, Spinelli. These cars have so much to offer. I only hope many people will learn enough to appreciate them as much as possible.

The nationals are fun but I believe the regionals have more to offer. Unfortunately, many are being spoile by nationals and online competition makes it worse I wonder.

6. Sam Moss

Sam Moss Registered

It doesn't help that the default setup is pretty much useless on the skippy which is why it feels like ice. The regional street tyres are very stiff sidewalled and the default setup runs -2 deg of camber as well as over inflated tyres.

Give this setup a try. Should be much better starting point. Also with the skippy brake early and power through the turn, braking late causes the rear to come around.

Attached Files:

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The funny thing is, the NASCAR drivers who have attended their school are the best finishers at the NASCAR roadcourse events, Jeff Gordon an example.

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Default setup is pretty much what they told us to setup as default, and is what they setup as default. I guess it depends on them tuning them (they try to even them out before race weekends I think).

9. Sam Moss

Sam Moss Registered

I've noticed on majority of the rF2 cars low camber is better as it gives much better contact patch. Very similar to an iR style setup and completely different to rF1 where you put on as much negative camber as possible.

Run a few laps on standard setup and check the tyre temps and the insides are 15 degree + hotter than the outside showing default has far too much negative camber or the tyre doesn't flex enough.

10. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Spinelii, that is true that brakes are also steering devices together with throttle and in rF2 with skippy one really needs both to make car fly and there comes that subtleness (spelling?) that is needed not to spin the car.

However I don't attempt to drive fast, I attempt to drive fun, so when I enter the turn I use brakes to put car sideways and throttle to keep it there, not very fast, not very good on tires, but when you get 3 yellow ones and manage to be sideways whole time of first turns at LRP, it is kind of nice :)

What is best, is that using throttle and brake you can adjust car while in slide.

But be brutal with controls and nothing is going to work, this car can't be forced, you have to subtly lure it around corners, which I like as it really is so with many cars and sadly most of the cars in rF1 did not have that kind of control, you could get away with silly things and then all of sudden were over so much that there was nothing you could do.

You can tell how good this car is as so different approaches to simming find it enjoyable, also as two different versions offer chance for people liking different kind driving to have their own kind of fun, it is of course instant success :D

Looking forward for damage, that might prevent me from abusing thing a bit, I would except that with my usage, I would make several skippies tired in hour :D

Engine sounds are nicely done in this one too, wish all cars would have similar quality in sounds.

11. willz

willz Registered

well tried em both, and find them too slippy, for instance i`m sliding off the corners doing 50 or 60 mph. i know that the hard core sim racers will love the car because of its challenge to drive but i could take the corners without sliding off the road faster in my van

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Tim, please forward my thanks onto the dev team for bring this car into rf2 reality. It's truly amazing to drive.

13. jtbo

jtbo Registered

What kind of van?

14. Spadge

Spadge Registered

OMG are you Sabine Schmidt??

15. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

With the Skip I barely use the brake! I use the brake only in the first corner and a little bit in that corner before the bridge(I hate that corner)!
    It's all about the throttle. throttle down,throttle up,throttle down.....

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'm just getting to grips with the barber, so far I find a little brake and throttle control the best way to get round, lrp no chicane I'm low 57s on a rubbered track...more time to gain yet. (National...or whichever one has the slicks!)

It's certainly one of those sim cars that needs time to master, which is good as where's the fun if every sim car was a simple pick up and race car? That would suck imo, for those struggling just stick at it, the satisfaction of running clean laps is worth the effort alone!

17. spider19462000

spider19462000 Registered

lol;)

18. hammad800

hammad800 Registered

After about 20-30 laps, I've finally come to understand this car a bit better.

1. Hardly use the brakes except for 1 or 2 corners. Using the brakes and turning is bound to make you spin out.
    2. Just before the corner I let go of the throttle so that the front slides towards the corner and then I use the throttle to keep it from sliding all the way so that I can take that corner as I intend to.
    3. Lastly, you have to be very very gentle with this car. Any sudden movements and you're gonna be going backwards as I was in the first few laps.

19. tjc

tjc Registered

Me too... it`s a real stinker...

20. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

So we should do the same, I expect, by using fixed setups.