Is ISI still working on the tire model ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jameswesty, Jul 4, 2012.

1. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

It's absolutely absurd to think the physics and tire model are still a WIP. Heck, it's beta and all that stuff is completely finished and will never be touched again. Look at netkar like you just mentioned. Kunos never updated the tire model or physics after initial release nor has iracing. The physics in racing simulations are usually completed in the first week of development. Now a title from EA or codemasters are always getting physics updates. Those developers are exceptional and are known for their realistic physics. True story bro.

2. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

yeah... iRacing is another exception?
    Reading your post I'm not sure is it ironic or no. But first of all it is not beta any more. Second, there is nowhere written, that physics must be finished at beginning of development. Basic physical environment - yes. But not such complex physics like tyres. I don't even say about parametrizing objects which is also part of building physics for specific object/car etc... bro

3. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

I have totally oposite feelings. I can't play NKpro anymore after playing rf2.

I agree that Rf2 is far from finished (tire model too) but even in WIP stage it still feels better for me than NKpro. FFB is giving much more information about tires grip.

Cars in rf2 are a little bit too slippery and unstable but tire model is under development too.
    Tim wrote this many times.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2012
  4. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

I would go as far to say that Race 07 has more realistic handling cars when it comes to the aspect of loss and gaining of grip than RF2 at this point in time. I can tell that RF2 has massive potential under the hood and I don't doubt that the math and the core game engine has way more potential than gmoter 2 .

It would be good to have a drive with you feels3

Not aimed at you feels3 , I'm not sure why some people are so aggressive or try to counter argue by deciding to interpret what i say to an absurd level . obviously software is always in development and obviously rf2 is still in beta but at the same time there will be a point when a developer reaches a state with the tire model and physics that its only going to change in very subtle ways.

Maybe a better question to ask would be .

Are ISI happy with the way the current tire model loses and gains grip do they think its handles better than i-racing or NKP ?

5. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Sup bro?!! I understand english is not your first language and you will not see the understand the sarcasm in my post. ;) The OP is clearly trolling. ;) You're not the biggest troll around anymore, better start working harder at it.

1 person likes this.
  6. FONismo

FONismo Registered

James while i don't 90% of the time agree with you and what you post. I always read and respect them as your opinion. This Race07 line seems to be a post looking for a reaction. It's absurd to even suggest that title is even close to being better in terms of what you have said. It's been said now that ALL of the sim is ALL heavily WIP. Can we not just leave threads like this until ISI come out and say yes we are done, we are ready for gold and are confident in our physics that they are correct.

We had all this with the F3.5 and look what happened there :) They transformed the car for alot of people. Same goes with graphics and while even now like everything else they are still WIP. I'm sure we all agree that they have improved over the builds.

7. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I thought there is some sarcasm around but not fount emoticons, so I was not sure.
    However I suggest to not overuse 'troll' word. A few times more, and it will turn into 'somebody with another opinion' ;)

8. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Yah that's fine that the game is still WIP I think most people know that , the OP was to establish to what level ISI is at with the tire model. ( not that anyone has to or deserves to know I just thought it was worth a beg and the development process is interesting to me )

The F3.5s are still awful and with a g25 they drive better with FFB off ( and even then the car movements and depth are not far of a generic RF1 mod) , I really like the 1960s cars and all the tracks in the sim so far but everything else is really quite pore.

I wonder if ISI actually think the GT cars , megan trophy , 3.5 , FISI is any good or any where near done , to me they drive as if they are alpha versions of cars.

Its as if the new cars all have potential but they are all lacking that stability and depth that make the driver in me enjoy them.

I would say Race 07 offers more believable modern cars than RF2 sure Race 07 lacks in FFB of track texture but to me that comes after car handling , stability and depth at which they can be controlled. Race 07 is rubbish compared to NKP and i racing but at least its better than the modern cars in RF2.

Obviously when software is in beta things can make massive jumps in quality and big changes can happen with single patches I'm hoping the lack of depth with modern cars is simply a beta issue.

The point of voicing concerns is that its a beta and its a time in development where things might change based on community response and the developer can interject and say

"yah we know this issue and its being worked on" or " we disagree we don't see the issue you are having, the product is not for you"

I really hope they are going to impliment some aspect of the tire model that will transform the game with the modern cars from what it is now to something that can compete with i racing , NKP and likely AC.

Still if not RF2 will be my go-to sim for old cars and GPL type racing , RF has also been a grate platform for seeing some amazing mod work and track artistry.

9. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Your post here is far more troll worthy as it contains no information or anything of value other than you accusing someone of being a troll.

If you look at the threads I have made they concern genuine things good and bad about RF2 simulation and FFB devices most the time I have good informative conversations with people and have helped new users with setting up RF2 or explained aspects of RF2 to them in a fair impartial way.

If I was a troll why would I spend my spare time making videos that will likely promote RF2 ?
    Why do I constantly say in most my posts how much I like the 60s cars ?
    Why do I repeatedly put disclaimers in my posts saying the game is in beta ?
    Why is it that virtually all the threads I have started have received positive ratings?

those questions are generally rhetorical as I'd rather stay on the topic of the OP , I'm also here for casual conversation and to maybe learn some things about simulators , ISI , simulator development and get to know the more friendly and interesting community members.

No hard feelings BTW I'm sure we would get along just fine in real life ,forums are always a bit weird and i know i spell and write awful when chating casually.

10. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

It's not a matter of opinion when you contradict what has been posted in the forum and what is written in the readme of rF2. ISI has never said the physics are complete. Actually Tim and Gjon have said more than once that they are still working on these things. EA ships out complete games, you should try them. ;)

11. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I know that all (about developing time, updates etc). so what? Any one has right to say own opinion being not attacked with 'troll' word. Again - you are overusing this term. Looks like almost any one who said something you don't like is a troll.

12. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Did you read the OP ?

"I would love to know if ISI are still working on the Tire model and the base physics engine ?

Are there likely to be fundamental changes in the tire model from now on , or is it more a case of tweaking the cars and making them feel better / behave more naturally ?

Keep up the good work !"

Sure ISI are probably still working on the tire model but the interesting question is to what extent and " is it more a case of tweaking the cars and making them feel better / behave more naturally ?"

ISI have stated in places that the majority of the work or the more complicated work is done so I feel its a totally valid question to ask.

13. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Problem is James and just like this post again, you are talking as if what you say is fact. You forget to write " In my Opinion " You have just stated that all cars in rF2 are flawed apart from the 60's cars but didn't once state it was opinion but rather when reading it back it seems as if what you say is a fact and the sim is flawed. Like i say i don't agree whatsoever with alot you write but do respect it as an opinion but the Race07 line too me just stunk of a cheap shot and looking for reaction and also posts like these that read as facts.

First it was NKP and now iRacing and Race07 are better. Again though you are comparing finished titles, iRacing aside as it's constantly evolving much like rF2 will to a sim in devolpment. It just seems pointless right now. I would understand if rF2 felt like crap and you were worried, pCARS was the same for me, just didn't feel right but rF2 has a really solid feel already in terms of everything that makes a top class sim

14. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Well I can see you're pretty thick so I'll dumb it down a bit. Lets say there is a car behind a curtain. There is a man standing behind the curtain saying that the car is red. Now there are other people standing on the other side of that curtain who cannot see the car and those people are saying "no it's not red, I think it's blue." Those people are trolls, and that is how alot of people around here are acting. They are being told one thing and not listening and trying to incite uproar. I couldn't care less if you think rF2 is more arcadey than mario kart. But when you come in here and start asking "has isi finished with the tire model?" or "I think isi is finished with the physics and I'm worried" when this is clearly a beta you are trolling. Look it up maxy. ;) Although I do have a feeling you are stubborn and know everything and nobody is going to tell you otherwise so I will leave you to your fantasy land.

15. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

If i was to order all the games I play in terms of simulation quality it would be something like this.

1) NKP/FVA, 2) i racing (slower cars), 3) Rf2 60s cars, 3) RBR 4) GTR evo, 5) LFS, 5) RF2 modern cars , 6)pCars ,

LFS has some low speed tire grip issues
    pCars has a tendency to get into tank slappers if you actualy drive the car and dont just let it drive itself, and just overall weird physics that make no sense.

RBR is obviously the best rally sim by far :)

RF2 has the lack of sophistication in the way tires lose and gain grip ( so does LFS in many ways) hence rating them both the same

I have not played "Game Stock Car" But I assume its like GTRevo in the sense that they have taken Gmoter 2 and simply made the cars handle more stable and in many ways more realistic from RF1 and RF2 by maybe fudging some of the numbers ( as well as just doing a good job all around )

All of the Sims on the market have there own nuances issues and points they accell at thats why I have most of them installed on my pc at any given point in time.

However NKP is the only sim that offers the depth and smooth transitions of grip from the old GT car they have to the SK2 ( but then there are only ever 6 or so people on-line and it has no AI ) , i racing simulation seems to fall apart with cars faster than the radical and is not very good with high downforce cars and In many way RF1s BMWF1 car drives better than the F1 car in i-racing.

Maybe it is just the case with simulators that grippy cars just drive awful /lack depth and sophistication until the last moments of development and that final polish goes on? ( as i say its interesting from a development stand point)

16. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

You two might have a special relationship of some kind that allows you to talk to each other this way, but I don't like it that much, please tune this kind of thing out of your posts.

17. FONismo

FONismo Registered

The reason though the Game Stock cars feel so good is they have had alot of dev time spent on them. I read a post the other day from one of the Reiza devs saying each car has had over 2 years spent on the physics. We don't know at which stage of devolpment each car in rF2 is in terms of being close to how they feel it should be. I do agree the 60's cars feel sensational but seriously the 370z also feels one of the better GT cars i have driven in a sim, i find it very predictable and intuitive to drive, can feel what the car is doing perfectly, same goes with the Megane for me, yes it can be lairy but it can also be tamed.

I think alot of this comes down to driving styles you know aswell. iRacing has never really convinced me, although i have spent going on £1000 on that sim, it was purely for the thrill of online racing that iRacing offers rather than physics and FFB. The only car that ever felt right too me there before i unsubscribed was the LMP car the Honda. I know they have since updated the tyre model from then so maybe things are different now. pCARS just always felt like a refined SHIFT too me in all honesty, it just seemed as though they had just reduced all the crazy camera movements and so got you thinking it was in better in terms of physics IMO. But that trick only worked with me for a few months until it dawned on me that it really wasn't alot different to SHIFT really.

Can't comment on LFS as i have never really spent enough time with it to really pass an opinion on it. GTR Evolution though and the Race series always felt dumbed down IMO in comparison to say HistorX or NKP.

18. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Gmotor have nothing to do with the physic as it's just the name of the Graphic engine...

...G stay for Graphic..:)

19. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

You see I think you have almost the same view as me with all the other simulators , Have you played NKP recently ?

If I had not reinstalled NKP the other week I probably would have said exactly what you said as I had forgotten how good and consistent it was.

I agree out of all the modern cars the 370z feels the best in RF2 although still lacks control at times compared to comparable cars in GTRE I also agree GTRE can feel a bit dumbed down and lack lustre but at least the cars are very stable.

My dream situation would be to have some of the raw aspects of RF2 track bumps aspects of the FFB but mixed with the stability and subtalties of depth NKP has.

GT cars should be lively but still stable GTRE has the stable but not the lively lol RF2 has the lively but not the stable.

Its so bad how I racing got that much off you , they took about £180-£200 from me its really depressing !

Not that i racing is particularly bad and like you say the pick up races can be of a good quality but I hate there whole payment structure and that it can at times be really hard to find races with certain cars , Id much rather have given that money to the guys at ISI or kunus , i racing sucks you in and bleeds you dry lol.

I'm going to try and get a demo for Game stock car now :)

20. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Yes i still race NKP see below but again i prefer rF2 even now in it's beta state. If rF2 had nords then i would delete NKP in all honesty