IndyCar Racing Papyrus Developer Group

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by saloei, Feb 11, 2012.

1. navorsky

navorsky Registered

This is poetry! I´m really glad there are people working for that become a reality. That´s exactly what racing is about: Challenging yourself, not challenging other´s setup. Keep this up man! Good job! Thank you for that.

2. jerrymcc

jerrymcc Registered

Don't really want to "rain" on the parade, but GTR2 had rain and a "live" track 6 yrs ago. We had some fun races with that mod when it came out. I remember a race at Assen, where the race started sunny, went through a rain storm and came back sunny.

I know rF2 will do a better job, but I was always a little disappointed an addon or update to rF1 to add these features never occurred. I'm sure many ppl would have been willing to pay $20 or so for a DLC update like that. 2 years ago or so.

3. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I hate to "rain" on your parade but GTR2's 'live track' was nothing of the sort. It wasn't dynamic. The weather was scripted even though they claimed it to be 'random'. And the track temp never changed despite the weather.

And as far as the racing line, that was predetermined for each track. It was always the same.

What rF2 is doing is giving making all that truly dynamic. The racing line (track rubbering, drying line) will never be the same from race to race. It will depend entirely on where the cars are driving.

Like Tim has stated, not two laps will truly be the same. Track conditions will change throughout the race - and affect everything from track temps to tire wear.

That's never been done before.

The weather will actually affect track temps and even grip. Clouds will make sections of the track cooler than others in the sunlight.

It's truly groundbreaking what they are doing here :)

4. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Not to menion humidity and wind once it is all included and packaged up :)

5. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Aside from the differences mentioned GTR2 didn't have dynamic track temperature, wind direction, air pressure and drying based on usage/shadows/weather, different groove/oil buildup from different car types/etc. either.

6. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

There was no drying line in gtr2, the racing line was scripted. It was neat what they did at the time but it was far from dynamic. lol.