IndyCar Racing Papyrus Developer Group

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by saloei, Feb 11, 2012.

1. saloei

saloei Registered

2. Novis

Novis Registered

Sh*t! That video just destroyed all fond memories I had of that game.

PS: I think you are in the wrong forum for Papyrus products, but I know that Tim has been involved with some ex-Papyrus guys.

3. les

les Registered

dang look at how far graphics have come along since that game and people have to complain shoot that video is like watching a cartoon lol

4. navorsky

navorsky Registered

wow! Look at that LCD display... 32' inchs inside the cockpit! I wonder where is the HDG and Altimeter indicators... rsrsrs

5. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hello
    Man I have to LMAO at this
    You are really comparing that game (Yes Game I said it) to the current products such as RF2.
    Are you joking or what man not even the sounds are that good let alone the graphics to today's standards.

Ruben M.

6. saloei

saloei Registered

I re-read my post to see if I mentioned anything about "comparing" the game to anything and I was right! I didn't see the word "compare" in there.

7. roc-craven

roc-craven Registered

Almost all the Papy guys are at iRacing. AFAIK

8. saloei

saloei Registered

9. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hello

Saloei Wrote:
    Saloei wrote:
    Humm ok when I read this line about how it ran fluid and there after I thought you where comparing to the sims now how they are having some problems. So a stab or a compare to what is out now....... but if not then my bad sorry

Ruben M.

10. magicfr

magicfr Registered

Was a Great game, I think IIndycar racing 1 is 1st racing simulation to use 3D texturing IIRC :)

I still have memory at the game 1st screens
    "Importage from Papyrus, this is indycar racing 2 !"
    Yeah \nn/

No we are not comparing, just to say those were great simulations and if they were not existed, maybe, LFS, and rFactor were not existed too ;)

11. tweaq

tweaq Registered

Awesome stuff, that brings back a lot of memories. I bought a rendition verite v1000 more or less just for that game. It added fantastic features such as bi-linear filtering which meant no more squares and i could be wrong but 800x600 res. I used to make enhanced versions of the other tracks as only 6 or so came with the nice 256 colour textures lol. With that fogging effect, man that **** was photo realistic!

This made me lol. Out of all the things, its the graphics and sound that arent up to par haha. Good to see the simracing community has some consistency!

FYI this was the cutting edge of racing sims for the day

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

and the award for the most horrific music in an intro goes too..... :D

13. Novis

Novis Registered

I did the same. I think that ICR2 was the only hardware accelerated game I had (played) for that Rendition card.

The step from F1GP and ICR1 to ICR2 was enourmous. Texture mapping for me didn't really work until we moved past VGA. I think NASCAR Racing was the first SVGA racing game, but I was more into open wheel racing. ICR2 was kind of matched by GP2 but I always liked the Papyrus physics better. It was the best racing game until GPL was launched.

With the small gradual improvments game by game you tend to not notice the actual huge step that has been made in graphics during all these years.

It was, "I'm Paul Page. From Papyrus, this is IndyCar Racing 2". Paul Page used to be the IndyCar commentator for ABC/NBC (?).

I really liked that intro back then.

14. magicfr

magicfr Registered

Man, my french ears are not good enough, thoug, I new importage was not a english word :D

15. saloei

saloei Registered

for its time (1995-1996?), the game engine was smooth and convincing. the graphics were acceptable at the time. if you played the game with a Rendition Verite 1000 video card, you'd see a totally different texture. with the Rendition card, the texture and resolution was much smoother and refined.

16. saloei

saloei Registered

yes you're right. i also bought the card just for this game. i still have the SIERRA SCREAM'N 3D Rendition V1000-E sold by CANOPUS. after all these years I kept the card.

17. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

18. Crippyoh

Crippyoh Registered

Yes it was the first to use 3D and was amazing at the time , all racing games before it had 2D tracks , no elevation changes. One game even had Laguna Seca in 2D...yes 2D corkscrew. as far as substance minus the flashy graphics, this game had as many features as iracing ...i forget if it had changing track temps ..if so it.. had more features then

19. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

The original Indycar Racing was great, I ran many, many races 'round Michigan with it. Fantastic. 8)

20. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered