In Car Digital Dash

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by clive lomax, Aug 16, 2012.

1. clive lomax

clive lomax Registered

Hi Everyone,

I have a little problem, hopefully it can be fixed..

I use DashMeterPro on my Android phone with Rfactor and have it perched on the maid body of my Wheel (G25). I can see the display on my phone through my wheel. My screen is about 12 inches further back and just above the top of the wheel.

I dont like to have a narrow field of View (messes with my perception of speed and catching slides) so its say, 50 in the Clio.

With this F.O.V I can see the cars on-board digital dash and its a little distracting, there's more info on my Android phone...

Can I turn off the Cars on-board Dash, not the HUD, this will force me to look at the phone.

I imagine in the real car there's an on/off switch for it.

I realize it might be an unusual request, most people need it, but not people with an additional display.

If not, Perhaps the Dev's might consider it??

Really hope someone can help

Clive.

2. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

If you have a look in your plr file, there is a line for seat pitch which you can adjust which will allow you to look more straight ahead instead of looking a little down. The default value for this setting is -4.000000 and would look good at anywhere from 1.000000 to 4.000000. By changing this value, you will lose sight of the in game dash if your seat is adjusted properly.

BTW, just curious, but how does a proper perspective and FOV mess with your sense of speed and ability to catch a slide? Not enough track view on the screen?

3. clive lomax

clive lomax Registered

Thanks very much for your help.

Yes that's it exactly!, i'm using a 26 inch display, and when i,m right on top of the in car digital display, correct P.O.V I assume, there is so little of the car on screen its difficult to gauge slides because I use the Change in relationship of the car to the outside world to tell me this. I must also Point out that Im using TrackIR, and maybe this has something to do with it..

I find with a slightly hight POV than normal, there is a little better depth of Field.

These are my personal opinions of course and not everyone might feel like I do.

Clive.

4. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Hehehe, the reason they made FOV adjustable was to accommodate everyone's tastes and setup. With me using triple monitors, I see more anyways, so I can get away with the lower vFOV settings.

5. tjc

tjc Registered

That`s a cool bit of info Gearjammer, never knew that before. I`ve always felt that the default cockpit view looked down too much so I`ve always altered it as best I can with the free look button(s) but I`ll be checking out this player file change as soon as.

Cheers :)

6. clive lomax

clive lomax Registered

Hope you can get it to work tjc, I couldnt :(

Fiddled with it for ages last night and it didnt make a difference..

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

@clive: what is your FOV set to? What is the issue you are having? Does the image not look like you are looking ahead? What seems to be the issue? Maybe we can figure something out that will help you.

8. clive lomax

clive lomax Registered

Hi Gearjammer,

Well I have the FOV at 50 I think (i'm in work now), and I tried changing the value of seat pitch, both negative and positive, and it still looked the same, I have the steering wheel set to off, I can see the digital dash and the steering column below that, I dont want to lower the POV or move my seat closer as I only have 1 screen and need to see as much as possible as explained. Just want to look out over the dashboard.

As I said, I use TrackIR and if I tilt my head upwards about 20 degrees it looks perfect, just looking out over the top of the dash, but you cant drive with your head craned upwards lol.

I remember adjusting it it RF1 in the cams file, just change it from -2.00000 to 0.00000 or whatever it was, but it seems you cant do it in this.

Have you changed the seat tilt and seen a difference?

9. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Yes I have changed it and seen a huge difference, but as you said, you have head tracking software and that I am sure is over-riding the settings you make in the plr file. Maybe there is a setting in the ini file for your head tracking software that will change the angle?

10. clive lomax

clive lomax Registered

I forgot to mention, I tried it after a while with the head tracking off, never mind, Ill, try it again tonight, maybe I was doing something wrong, Thanks for trying to help :)

Clive.

11. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

As long as there is nothing that is over riding the settings in the plr file, and you are opening the correct plr file, you should see a difference, but with the FOV at 50 it might take more adjustment to compensate. Try larger numbers to see what happens. Maybe try 15.000000 or so to at least see that it is having an effect, then you can change the number to get the right level. Again, Seat Pitch is the value you are adjusting.

Also, make sure you are making the adjustments with the sim closed completely so that the plr is loaded after it is saved.

12. clive lomax

clive lomax Registered

YESS!!! Got it, it works now!

you were right, its because I adjusted the setting and saved the PLR file WHILE THE LAUNCHER WAS STILL OPEN!

I never thought it would make a difference, but it obviously does. It must not load the new PLR file, only the one that was there when the launcher is open.

Again thanks for all your help and patience bro :)

Clive.

13. clive lomax

clive lomax Registered

Oh by the way, 22 degrees pitch up was perfect, if anyone wants to do the same..

14. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Glad you got it sorted out, :) would love to say I was the one that thought that up, but I think Spinelli was the first one to mention that in a different thread, I just remembered what was said heheh.

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Clive is there anyway you can post a pic of your phone attachment to the G25 please? I'm getting a new phone Monday and will be using that app but currently hoping to squeeze it into the top of the wheel somehow, if it doesn't fit then I may need to do what you've done.

16. flibberflops

flibberflops Registered

Well here is my experience with DashMeter Pro + G25 setup

POV
    Unlike all the palarva above, I just simply used the "seat" keys Q,W,E,S to bring the car dashboard view forwards so I could just see the top surface of the car dashboard. This then ties in with the fact that in reality I am looking at the a real steering wheel in front of me, with real digital dash above that, with everything else displayed virtual on the screen.

Mounting the phone on top of the G25.

1st I made a wooden holder for my phone to hold it steady. It wasn't too hard, the hardest bit was making the base that sits on top of the G25. The top surface of the G25 is curved, so I had to wittle a curve to the bottom of the base for a snug fit. I then painted it black (to match the G25). Then I used sticky backed velcro on the bottom of base / top of G25 to make a quick release for it. My only tip would be is to get an extra USB lead for your rig setup, cause the dashmeter will go through the battery, so you need to be powered by your PC.
    My other issue was that my G25 was flat mounted to my cockpit. This meant that no matter where I placed the phone on top of the G25, the view was obscured by the top of the steering wheel. The answer was another small mod to slightly tilt back the whole G25 by about 15 degree's

Using the Dashmeter Pro

I have to say that using the dash meter pro is brilliant. I would say perfect except for one minor problem... when you start a session, it takes a few seconds for the meter to start working. When you are practicing, qualifying this is not really an issue. However when an actual race starts, the race will have started and you will be up to 2nd gear before data is displayed on the phone. This means you have to guess 1st gear change.... or judge it by sound (which is not easy when on a grid of 20 other close cars)

Does anyone know if the dashmeterpro start lag, is an issue with the dashmeter pro plugin or the rfactor software????

17. Armando

Armando Registered

Currently rFactor2 has a delay of 20 seconds to activate plugins once you get in the car.
    So you have to go to the start grid a bit sooner. :p

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Success! Ripped apart an old phone charger and used the wire to fix the phones case (so that the phone is removable) to the wheel, simple, effective and took 10mins to do! Good thing is when my new phone arrives next week this old one will be there permanently so no need to keep removing it!

Attached Files:

19. baked bean

baked bean Registered

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

you want that in your rfactor2\plugins folder