In a timed race is it unsportsmanlike...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kknorpp001, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

... to wait for clock to run down if you have a gap and are near the finish line? My gut tells me absolutely yes but I don't know what norm is. Thanks in advance.

Also, rather than add another thread, could someone tell me whether I should keep my tires quiet or not. Seems like I do much better online when I don't do this and also my tires don't suffer much especially at x1 wear which is what most admins set tire wear at. Comments?

One thing that got me thinking about this is how light Lola steering gets for me in tight corners. Obviously if I slow down the ffb is stronger but even if I go much faster through turns as long as I am balancing the car I seem to be able to go much faster without any cost of running the tires down. Is Lola like 60s cars where tires don't wear as much as newer softer compounds?

Any comments regarding tire management in general and for Lola would be appreciated. Also, perhaps this is because tire model not done?

Please no holy wars on grip, physics and how rF2 is the best or worst, etc. etc. I am just looking for personal advice. Thanks.

2. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

In the race 07 league I compete in its 2x 20 minute race with a reverse grid. Recently I was winning a race with a very good gap to the rest of the field, so much so that when everyone worked out the fuel usage I actually ended up doing an extra lap before the clock ran down, I could have slowed down and crossed the finish line at 16 laps but I kept pushing and in the event a couple of racers ran out of fuel lol, I wasn't favourite for a few days but if others don't put enough fuel in its not my fault lol So absolutely YES. I wouldn't expect anyone to hand me anything on a plate in Sim racing, Same goes for pushing people over the line etc, I'm just horrible lol :D

3. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

I don't tend to do timed races but wouldn't the rest of the field finish at the line? You would have to do an extra lap but not fight for position ie coast around.

I don't see a problem with waiting. If I was coming up to the finish line and the leader was coming round to lap me, I think I'd wait to save having to go round again :)

I'm a bit loathed to give any opinions on grip ;)... but I will.

IMO

Yes, you should keep your tyres quiet all the time. Whether that still applies to the Lola or not I can't say as it is probably not using the latest tyre model to it's fullest.

Noise means wear and heat and thus, generally, a loss of grip. If your tyres make noise you have probably exceeded its ideal slip angle. The tyre should produce maximum grip with a slight amount of slip. This slip means the tyre doesn't quite go in the direction it's pointing. It's a kind of squelching of the tyre as is rolls and the sidewalls flex. This shouldn't make too much noise if any. If you push too hard and increase the slip you move into sliding and scrubbing. A tyre that is scrubbing or sliding won't go around a corner as fast one that is rolling using only the slip angle it was designed to.

That's the tyre, sliding a car as a whole around a corner may get you round some bends faster initially but usually at too high a cost in wear and heat.

If you drive within the limits of the tyre you can balance the throttle to manipulate the slip (a neutral setup helps). The feedback you get as you go around a corner is awesome, the wear is reduced , heat is kept low and laptimes get better.

I use this approach. What do I have to do to get out of that corner as fast as possible without hearing my tyres. If it feels wrong or really slow, I adjust my setup until it feels 'right'. I don't watch the lap times too much. You get that nice feeling of the car 'setting' part way through a corner. You stop braking as late as possible for a bend and brake at the time needed to get the car to 'set' at the right place.

If you slide (noise), most of that goes out the window.

imo :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2013
  4. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

It's very unsportsmanlike and dangerous to wait at the finish line for the clock to run down. If you see at the end of the lap before that you are that far ahead, it's up to you to take a very slow but safe lap and cross the line after time is up. That's just good racing. But if you see that the clock is almost up and you are at the last turn and you stop, that is very poor form.

5. BrokkelPiloot

BrokkelPiloot Registered

This discussion gave me a crazy idea. It would be cool if everyone would start with a fixed amount of fuel as a limit. Instead of time or laps. When the car in first position runs out of fuel the race ends in that order :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2013
  6. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

Races have been won in real life using this tactic.

7. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

stopping or standing still isn't a good thing to do, I agree, but if you notice it in time (at the start of a lap, laptime normally 1:30, something like 1:35 to go)..... I have no problem with a driver braking earlier, going to the corners slower, shift early, maybe not even full throttle, to increase the lap time with a few seconds..... How much time depends on the track of course, on most traks I think I will find it normal as long as you don't lose (much) more then 5 seconds..... 20, 30 seconds on a laptime of +/- 1:30 I would find strange.

8. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

I don't think anyone is going to park at the finish line. I assumed by waiting he meant slow down. :)

9. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

Too much can happen in the time left. I race until I see the checkered flag.

10. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

well, that is the idea of slowing in the first place. You'll drive one lap less = one less lap where you can be overtaken. Would be a great shame to have something happen in the last lap (a misunderstanding between you and backmarker, no fuel, flat tyre, some silly driver mistake), especially if you would not have encountered that problem, by slowing a bit the lap before.

One example I know of, excually worked the other way around. F1, hungary 1994. Schumacher was leading with a great marging. Jos Verstappen (in his first year) was at P4, but was a lap down. Schumi had a huge lead, and slowed down to let Jos unlap himself. Then in the final lap Martin Brundle (p3) retired, and because Jos could drive an extra lap due to not being lapped again, he gained his first podium place.
    Like I said, this example works the other way around, but it shows the importance of running an extra lap (from Jos' viewing point), or not running it (from Brundle's point of view).

11. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

As long as you are not creating a hazard on the track I see no reason that you can not slow down to avoid the extra lap. If you have the room and there is no danger to anyone, go for it. If on the other hand, your slowing down causes issues with someone else' race, then don't slow down.

12. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

13. kmw

kmw Registered

If you have a good lead, you should have the sense to ease off a couple of laps before the end, save tyres, save fuel, avoid crashes, AND time it so that you do not have to do an unnecessary lap.
    So yes, it is perfectly acceptable, in fact it's unwise to do more laps than necessary.
    But of course, this should not include excessive slowing down or stopping, it is dangerous, and in real life might even be penalised.

14. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

15. crz

crz Registered

I don't see the cheating part, that is part of a time limited race.

The race is set to a certain amount of time. Whoever crosses the line first after that time limit has expired is the winner of the race. No one takes a lap away from anyone because it is not clear how many laps will be driven in the first place.

16. Spadge

Spadge Registered

It's your lead, you can do what you want with it.

17. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

it's dangerous. This is what happens if you do it:

Nürburgring 24h 2012...Manthey Porsche had not enough fuel for another lap, so got slower...the clio crashed into it and in the end the car was damaged so badly, they couldn't finish the lap. So they had a DNF after running perfect for 24h...

18. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I usually do timed races and have never thought of slowing down in order to avoid more laps :eek:

But I wouldn't mind somebody doing this. Personally I just like driving more than safe win :D

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

was the Clio driver blind?! :D

20. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

After 24h he might have been, yes, :)