Importance of sim racing on its own vs. accuracy to IRL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Galaga, Jan 21, 2014.

?

How important is IRL vs. sim racing on its own?

1. My only interest is simulating IRL combos, events, etc.

11 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. I strongly prefer IRL and run fantasy and sim-only content rarely

29 vote(s)
    51.8%
  3. I like both equally

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. I prefer some fantasy over IRL because better combos, etc. but like some IRL

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I don't care about IRL at all. I race what is the most fun and challenging. Period.

9 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I am interested in a simulator for having realistic and believable physics. I dont care about the content if the above is fulfilled. Real life is limited in terms of available layouts and cars. Sim racing has no limits. We could be using 2000HP cars. We could have 4 directional wheels. We could have things such as the delta wing. It would be interesting to set competitions for preparing the best car provided several design limitations as engine, minimum weight, dimensions ... to find the best simcar designer (adrian newey equivalent). The limit would be our imagination. No budget or security problems.

enviado mediante tapatalk

2. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

+1 for fantasy content in addition to IRL

We make IRL cars and tracks to sim because we want to experience something similar than real life drivers do for one reason (and compare ourselves with them even though it's not accurate) but also because those cars and tracks have been proven to work and have a fun factor. This doesn't rule out that any fictional car or track couldn't be popular IRL if given chance. We have the possibility to go beyond the limitations of real life restrictions (mainly combining money, will and creativity at a right time) but still following the real life rules (physics) in what we do.

3. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Heres the deal:

I am willing to invest 80 euros of price money to any designer/driver combo that wins a rF2 fantasy endurance race. Sure, the rules and stuff needs to be organize first. Who's with me?

4. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

What I was talking about in regards to reality vs fantasy is in the realm of real world physics limitations. I would not want to see a small block chevy engine pushing more than 500 HP without some form of forced induction as that is pretty close to physically impossible in real life. The idea of a 2000 HP engine in a race car is ok, but the weight of the engine as well as the expected downfalls of that much horsepower need to be considered as well. You can't just go into the car physics file and say ok, this car gets 2000 HP now, as that would be unrealistic. 2000 HP requires stronger, heavier parts in order to be able to run for any length of time at all. The drive train needs to be beefed up or you would corkscrew your drive line, so there would need to be a way to simulate this as well. The grip of the tires is going to be finite, so 2000 HP would easily overcome the grip unless you were running drag slicks on the back of the car, which would cause additional issues. G-forces would need to be paid attention to, taking into consideration that it would require a G-suit to overcome anything over 3G's of force without having issues of blackouts. This requires some sort of pump on board which adds additional weight. All this extra weight needs to be calculated in its correct position on the car as well. The CG and roll centers need to be accurate. Any other way and you end up with arcade, and I don't really have much use for arcade.