Illegal mods

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MaXyM, Nov 4, 2011.

1. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Considering that ISI want to provide mods repository, how about creating more or less illegal mods?
    A lot of leagues create own mods for limited usage (inside league only). Another mods are released under some conditions (for example SBTs product based stuff, allowed by SBT since mod contains original medium checker)

How it will be possible with rFactor2?
    Will ISI check legality of mods in the repository? What league have to do if it will not be allowed.

best regards

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

This has been answered... somewhere... having trouble finding stuff at the moment :)

3. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Ummm what repository.

From what I can gather it seems that the client matches to the server....not a file repository.

So as I envisage.

You pay for yearly MM, you log on to MM with your account, MM verifies your account, you than connect to a server of your choice which has the mod etc running, if your files are different it updates from the server.

That is what I have guessed at anyway.

4. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Tim said, you have not to guess. You have to read. ;)

I'm looing forward for clear answer from ISI stuff. Let them do that.

5. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Ahh so if its been said why are you asking?? ;)

Dont mind me...I was just walking here officer.

6. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

maybe I did mistake in sentence. I meant: "Tim say to not guess"

7. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Ahh to easy champ that helps clear it up :)

I dont think Tim has a problem with anyone guessing, as long as they dont start with "ISI said..." :)

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

9. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

quote from referred post:
    Looks like it's just another guess of ISI stuff, which doesn't surprise me so much. I'm curious are they sure for anything they do. They are talking about features without being able to put whole specification on the table.
    Of course automatic check is not possible. But what about on demand checking? What about a law related responsibility? etc etc.
    Did someone took a time to think more deeply about it?

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

???

How deeply have you thought about it? :)

Are you aware, for example, that a number of companies will pursue legal action if necessary to stop their logo being put, say, on a car, even when it costs them nothing? (some might say 'free advertising', so no damage done... but no, it doesn't work that way). Potentially every single race series contains some sponsors that stipulate something similar, so any non-licensed reproduction of those cars would actually not be legal.

Of course the line is drawn somewhere, but the point is ISI is only producing the mechanism for people to create mods, which can just as easily be fictional as based on a real life series. If they start trying to say what's legal and what isn't, not only is it a LOT more work on their part, but nearly everything that people create for theirs and others enjoyment might be ruled out.

File hosting sites are not sued when users upload illegal content, but they are requested to remove it when its found. Seems to me we have a similar situation here - people recreate real life stuff, technically it's illegal, but they're not gaining anything from it and ISI's product doesn't contain it, so the companies involved probably won't worry about it (although, if they really wanted to, they could).

To branch off a little, people talking about modders selling their mods should probably also be aware of this... without licensing all the content from the real-life series you're modding, you really can't legally demand any money for your work. It's a bit like recording a cover of a song - put it on youtube and likely no one will care. Sell it for $2 a copy and you'll be in hot water.

Is content converted from other games any different in these terms? Who's going to sit down and determine what's come from where? There's a heck of a lot of work involved to get everything right if you're going down that track, so the only reasonable outcome is we have ISI releasing rF2 with licensed content and a facility for the community to create their own stuff as they please. If anyone wants to question legality or take legal action, it'll be against the creators of the mod.

11. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I'm with you.
    But I need clear answer from ISI stuff. To be not surprised about things like yesterday

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, so perhaps your question is: will a mod automatically be available for everyone to download, or can it be 'protected' somehow so that only people I allow, or in my league, ... ... will be able to get to it?

13. DeDios

DeDios Registered

Would be nice to see a big "illegal mods" control; in rF there are too much illegal mods imho. We need to have a clean and legal system, increasing true modding, done from scratch.

1 person likes this.
  14. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

My reply to the user was "i think no possible, but i might be wrong", which means exatly "i think no possible, but i might be wrong" (i am not in the head of mr Camaj, i just try to have some good sense).

I never told -ISI want to provide mods repository- and never argued about the ISI policy related to illegal mods.

Now, i apologize with Tim for my post which meant to be a quick help to few questions, but it is raising to something different.

15. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Max, from my point of view it's ok you wrote your own opinion.
    I just want to know an answer from someone else who know it for 100%. That's all.
    thanx

Lazza, I asked if mods based on more or less illegal content will be limited in some way or not.

16. Gleidson

Gleidson Registered

Just know that if fill rFactor 2 mods done poorly as they did in rFactor is a horrible, I abandoned the rFactor therefore, poorly done mod, unreal, physical according to the taste of the creator, no, I stay away from this rFactor 2, leaving various official mods or people trusted the ISI, and should have a lock so that nothing was disturbed, stir into a league where the physics is easier to be sad, for me, and each car has to category be as faithful as possible to the real, everything is far from it, no good, go to the NFS.

17. secondoporto

secondoporto Registered

u missed the tread NFS guy and site too...we speak here about simulation and u about arcade lagy game so just pls stay away from rf2
    btw IS There really illegal mods??? cm'on ...reality is much different

18. mianiak

mianiak Registered

To a certain point, this sort of thing can be covered by the label 'Fan Art'. Recently I was involved with a mod that had to use this label, in turn, it was deemed legal.
    Basically, making a 3d model of a car and sharing it with the public is no different to painting a picture and sharing it with the public. But it is a fine line and still can be crossed, so don't take my words as gospel, you still need to be aware of your surroundings.

19. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

Of course there are illegal mods. But it instead of thinking about the manufacturer/license owner sense of it, think of it from mod group to mod group sense.

Say Group 1 releases a mod and group 2 takes things from that mod without Group 1's permission and releases another mod. What will happen then? ISI is putting itself with having to deal with this sort of crap that occurs a lot in the rF modding world. Group 1 would legally own the content regardless if it represents real life cars/tracks/content. The reason they own that content is because they made it. If I model a 3D Model today of a Mazda RX8, sure Mazda owns the license to the car, but I own the rights to the model I created. Of course I become limited to how far I can use it.

So what do we do against illegal mods between groups?

In regards to ISI allowing mods in their system which do represent real life series and are named as such. They will find a hard time of it I am sure. Lest we forget the F1 act of 2008/9 when FOM requested rFCentral to make all mod groups remove F1 from their mod names of which we at MMG didn't. Did they crush us? no, because they can't, they have no legal bearing on a non profit product, their license doesn't cover that far. But when you take a system with what ISI is doing, what is that going to require? mod groups re-branding their mods? I can sure as hell say we won't ever re-brand a mod simply to appease a money hungry and greedy license owner.

The content created by a mod group that is given free is owned by the mod group and the mod group has legal right to stop anyone legally from using that content, even the real series. A series or license holder however cannot stop a non profit product from being made or given out for free.

The best example. Look at Turbosquid.com a website primarily built for selling 3d model assets. Look at the 3D Car models being sold there. Why isn't it shut down? simple, because they can't shut it down. The 3D models are owned by their respective creators who have a right to sell them to any client that may want to use them, whether it be game developer, advertising studio, or just common schmucks.

People need to stop thinking that license owners can sue anytime for anything. Most of them threaten because they know small timers will get scared and shut down, hence why many potentially great mods closed down, not because they were sued, but because they were falsely afraid.

It will be interesting to see how ISI handles the modding aspect in MM, its quite hard to believe that any license holder will turn a blind eye.

20. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Thanks Petros. Good to know how things really are.