iDT St Petersburg, needs a dx11 conversion

Discussion in 'Locations' started by davehenrie, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

A couple of months ago i started building this track (i see this like a challenge as i am a noob modder), hope to finish it one day, sadly i can't work on it every time i want :(
    NVM some placeholder materials/textures, still a lot to do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Corti

Corti Registered

nice, good job mate!!

3. Ppj Duin

Ppj Duin Registered

So, a few people working on this.. I'm working on it myself also.. Started a month back and I'm using maya, probably not the easiest to get it to dx11 but with the new pbr shaders it should better translate between game engine and 3d app, time will tell..

Maybe a collaboration between a few would be possible.. I myself prefer realism over esthetics, and found some coarse lidar data to get the track elevations right .. Did a lot off research already on this and as you can see the roadmesh is done, closing the infield first and adding kerbs, which are different in almost every corner from what I've seen.. Wire_1-2.jpg Wire_3.jpg Wire_1-2.jpg Wire_3.jpg Lidar_2.jpg Wire_2.jpg Wire_5-1.jpg

4. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Yes expecially the kerb in the last corner, never seen a kerb like that :eek:
    PM sent! More than happy to collaborate.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Ppj Duin, ede78 and pkelly like this.
  5. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Well when is about tracks esthetics is half of the realism.

Ppj Duin likes this.
  6. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

I always try and use real photos for materials whenever possible for realism. Let me know if you need anything.

Chris Lesperance, Ppj Duin and ede78 like this.
  7. Ppj Duin

Ppj Duin Registered

True, I meant that more in a way that it doesn't matter how great things look, it's only realistic if things are looking like the real thing..

It's a tough track this one, only used once a year so much less reference to find..
    I have bunch of video and photos as reference but have to keep a good eye on what year it's from. Resurfaced the runaway a few years back, bumps smoothed out in t3 as opposed to the layout from 2017.

I do love to drive around on the old version you made. It got me to try making my own version of it, and I absolutely love the US temporary indycar tracks like this, Burke airport or Toronto for example..

I keep on the lookout if there's someone in that area to ask for a load of reference pics..

8. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Well the good thing about St Pete being a partly street circuit, is that you can use the google maps street view to at least get a basic set of buildings and objects down

9. Ppj Duin

Ppj Duin Registered

Yep, that's the best reference I have so far.. Haven't found a way to use a screenshot as texture reference yet..
    Also been experimenting with Google Earth and photogrammetry to get the global shape and textures, had a little success with the baseballstadium but the whole thing will still be needing to rebuild from the ground up to optimize for the game

Corti likes this.
  10. vivemclaren

vivemclaren Registered

@krusti @Ppj Duin

Something which can be interesting is the old St Petersburg track too! 86-90 version used the same road without airfield part and 85 version is a bit different true!
    https://www.racingcircuits.info/north-america/usa/st-petersburg.html#.XN76-NiYPIU
    I have downloaded old aerial views from us geoportal (earthexporer) if you want (84-94-2002)

Can am race 1985

Trans Am race 1986

2003-2016 and 2017-now is very similar too!
    However I know it is very long road to do a track :)

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Foxtrot likes this.