Idea for ISI to improve FPS with "Multi View"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WiZPER, Jun 6, 2013.

1. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I've been struggling to get GOOD performance with my tripple screen setup (ASUS MATRIX HD-7970)

A thing I wondered about was if it would be possible to add a LOD-multiplier for 'side views' as no one really need to see whats out in the horizon 800 meters away left and right.

I imagine that this could give a major performance boost, perhaps even combined with other detail setting.

Hopefully the message gets through to who it may concern. As is, running tripples at good quality requires some really highend hardware and lots of it...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2013
  2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Just wondering, what is ur card oc'd volted at?

3. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

4. nipzon

nipzon Registered

Great idea man, hopefully someone from ISI takes notice. It could be single screen resolution on triples.

5. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

But please don't make this another FPS-improve by 'magic settings' thread. It's not about my personal setup, it's about the possibility to add important options for everyone so we don't waste GPU on visuals we don't need.

6. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

As an option that sounds like a good idea to be honest, though it would have to be an option so that those that use head tracking can choose to leave it full on. Just my opinion. :)

7. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Yeah, I was thinking that the engine would only apply the multiplier for the outmost left/right outputs.

Well for headtracking you might wanna leave it at default, up to you - thats why I wanted a .PLR option :)

8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Same could be applied to the mirrors. Great idea! ;)

9. Bart S

Bart S Member

Great idea, it will need careful consideration etc of what it does, perhaps a lower LOD but I cant stand things appearing, disapearing and flickering total imersion killer which is one of the reasons you got triple screens. Thumbs up here

10. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

"Optional" is the keyword, you'd set the value as you see fit. There is already a LOD-multiplier for opponent cars while in garages/pit (in rfactor atleast, not sure about rf2), cars I don't really care about, I run them at 0.25 x LOD

11. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

Anything to help triples is good IMO :)
    I have 7950 IceQ and hate messing with o/c because :-

1: I'm not very good at it
    2. it always seems hit and miss but that's probably 'cos of point 1

12. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

With Silverstone and b240 I really have to bump this thread - MultiView has become undrivable, presumably because of the high LODs and hires textures.

We really need an option to tune down the side-views without reverting the entire game to rf1-standards. I'm already running lower setting, but have to stick with single-view unless I want my FPS halfed.

ISI, please respond.

13. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Try using with multiview switched off, I think rf2 actually looks better with it off (saves resource too)

P.s I am about 34" from the centre screen with a fov of 32

15. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Whut?? Without multiview the side screens are stretched. In the Corvette my left mirror is more than twice the length that it should be. Right screen will have a stretched dashboard wich look 'broken' in a unnatural angle if you have your monitor angled like I have. You'll need to have all 3 monitors in a straight line if this gonna work, but still side screens will get stretched and when you'll get passed by other cars they will get stretched and have a really big a**, but change shape when going into the center monitor. And when in an open-wheeler, the tires will look more egg-shaped This looks crazy, but I'm really happy for you if that is playable for you, because yes, it saves some resource :D

But I did a try without multiview and the performance was not that much better than with multiview. Last time I tried it was huuuge. 130 fps at Poznan became 50-70 with multiview enabled. But that was build 218.

However, I think OP has a good suggestion. But I wonder if it won't look a little strange when objects disappears. Imagine when looking into apex in a tight corner, you'll look at one of the side monitors and see things showing up on the center monitor that wasn't visible in the monitor you're looking at. Maybe a bit annoying, but I'm not sure...

But I think optimizations for multiview are really, really needed. Or game in general.

16. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Please don't take this off-topic, it's about improving MultiView, not about personal setting or NOT using MultiView...

And single over 3 monitors look horribly stretched and weird, agreed.

17. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Passed onto Joe, as I don't know whether it's possible and/or useful myself.

18. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Thank you, Tim!