I want to buy RFactor 2 but...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DaVeX, Feb 7, 2015.

1. fullsus

fullsus Registered

Up to now We have only 5 pc sims in the world. Very sad.
    rF2, AC, GSC extreme, R3E,iRacing.

Why don't own all of them? rF2 confirm by the man from GT acadamy that have the best GT car close to real life than another sim.
    If Budget is the main problem iRacing will be the last choice.

2. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

As i say, I am new to sim racing (I bought a G27 one month ago) and even if I am a complete noob I am enjoying it. Due to my work (I am an architect) I haven't much time to drive but this are my games at the moment:
    - Assetto Corsa (as Italian I have to buy it)
    - rFactor Special Edition 2008
    - Reiza Copa Petrobas de Marcas
    - SimBin Complete Collection (I was very good at that time, Gt legends, GTR2, etc etc)
    - EuroTruckSimulator 2 (I love it, so relaxing)

to come:

- rFactor 2
    - GSC Extreme (maybe, too much fictional series)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2015
  3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

rF2 was the very first sim I bought when I got into sim racing a year and a half ago. Almost immediately I also got into iRacing which was kind of a mistake looking back. The amount of money spent versus actual time spent racing it clearly shows that.

Game Stock Car Extreme is an absolute must have. Assetto Corsa is okay for a bit of hot lapping imo but not much else.

R3E is a complete blast though. Their business model isn't very appealing but the sim is actually very very good. For me it absolutely blows away AC.

4. fullsus

fullsus Registered

Before I buy rF2 I played Race07 , GTR2 2 years. buy AC play 3 months. Then buy rF2 lifetime .
    First I drive skip , C6.R with my 2 years experience with another sim .The Result I can't drive these car, car spin every corner I don't know why. I can't believe that .
    I search how to drive car properly from real life and book. Stick that car 1 month (play about 1 hour/day) .It's get better I can control car on the track. When I spin,I try to find exactly why I spin and how to correct that.

Very fun and challenge to me.

The very impressive to me is the Historic car I think these car worth and very fun to drive.
    Now I owned rF2 1 year . I feel I'm still new with this sim when I drive Historic car. These car teach me every time when I drive them.:D

5. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

If you buy lifetime, you get lifetime. Steam or no Steam. That's how I've got to picture ISI through 15+ years of experience with their products.

If you get, spent some time with it, learn the little tricks, makes use of all its features, then you won't regret it.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Help with jaggies without having to resort to supersampling AA = set smoothening option - which is in your player.json file - to "0" (sorry, I keep forgetting what it's called).

On some tracks it over-blurs the road-surface but works absolutely great on others. This should really help clean-up the picture without having to resort to sulersampling.

P.S. If you're just a "GAMER", then get another racing title, but if you're a "RACER", then get rFactor 2 ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2015
  7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

IF you are trying to help a newbie, you would need to give an exact reference:

"Texture Sharpening":5,

The setting 5 is equal to zero/0. It's a line in the player.JSON file that you can edit with notepad. Spin, were you suggesting using 5 (auto) or the actual setting zero/0 (off)?

Regardless, I disagree that it will solve any jaggies problems. But you can feel free to try it yourself and compare. There are lots of preferences and opinions as to what is acceptable. No settings combination possible looks good on my rig to my eye unless supersampling is enabled. Unfortunately.

8. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

I am a "gamer" due to lack of time, but I want to learn to be a "racer" for my pleasure. Btw, is a pleasure to see a community so united and friendly with newcomers. I'll try the demo for some time yet and if the game hooks me I will buy it . Meanwhile I have also rFactor to master, so we will see on race there...maybe...you will race meanwhile me going grass lol.

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yes, "texture sharpening". I always forget the name. I figured someone would help with the proper name and therefore figured I'd still post it rather than not mention it at all. Thanks!

Hmmm. The number I'm referring to is the actual number that must be typed-in as the setting itself. Isn't it "0" (which corresponds to off)? I believe that's what many people were praising when the option became available. I use the default myself as I found some 3rd party tracks having massive track surface blurring with the option set to "0" (off). I started a thread about it but it seemed to die without us being able to figure out why the option worked so brilliantly on some tracks but very bad on others (I'm guessing it's down to the way some tracks' surface were designed). But, ya, I believe "0" (off) was the texture sharpening setting that most people found very nice, image-cleaning results with.

10. stonec

stonec Registered

Option 5 (default) is not equal to 0 despite it says so in the file, with 5 you get max jagged edges on many 3rd party tracks and older ISI tracks. ISI fixed something in their newer versions (Silverstone 1.35, LRP 2.0), regardless of sharpening setting white lines are now a lot smoother on these tracks. For other tracks it's a good idea to reduce sharpening to something like 2 or 3 or less.

11. Hectari

Hectari Registered

From player.JSON, change the value in the first line to suit:

"Texture Sharpening":5,
    "Texture Sharpening#":"Sharpen textures using MIP LOD bias - 0=Off, 1=+2.0(very blurry), 2=+1.0(blurry), 3=-1.0(sharp), 4=-2.0(very sharp), 5=0.0(auto)",

I need to try another setting myself since I get aliasing at most tracks, would be ideal if this could be set and saved per track. Preferrably in the UI and not just JSON.

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I'm not sure if you're replying to me, but if you are, then I said "0" as in the number you literally type-in. So, not "5=0.0(auto)" but "0=Off". It's this "0=Off" setting which many were praising and were asking for (before the option became available) a while back.

Type in "0" rather than the default "5".

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Don't use the word SAD or use those "other" sims in the same sentence with rF2 please. >>> loool :p

How people get enough seat time to drive 20 cars in 5 sims I will never know.

14. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

The op means this screen:

15. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

:confused:...what?

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I am glad I not the only one. lool

:confused:...what?

hehehe

17. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

gee, stop joking. i need your advice quickly i have a party to go lol

18. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

:D exactly +1

From the moment you buy the game, any car or track released afterwards is free of charge. Lifetime is about attendance of servers online.

btw Im an architect too, I try not to demolish buildings on track :D

19. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The demo isn't altered in any way. Maybe your settings are different, system is different or - as is probably the case - you're in a session at a different time of day. Sunset is usually nicer.

20. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

The usual problem is that the game can look amazing in screenshots, but not so good when there is movement or motion on the screen. The jaggies, texture "crawling," shimmering, low-res shadows, etc., all conspire to make the moving image seem "digital" and primitive compared to a still shot (or the game when paused). If we were only looking at screenshots, you wouldn't need to use resource-intensive graphics settings to smooth things out.

Overall, I would rate the still image a 7/10 to a 9/10 depending on car or track. Sim in use/in motion, it falls to a 4/10 to 6/10, unless supersampling is used, in which case it climbs to a 6/10 to 8/10. There are still jaggies and other issues even with super sampling. Most systems can't run supersampling with decent to high other graphics options.

That being said, other racing sims also have graphics issues and are far from perfect in that department. However, rF2 has the best overall simulation qualities, so the graphics don't kill the pleasure of using it, they are just a constant annoyance.