I give up Vr in Rfactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rafael Valdivia Herrera, Nov 20, 2023.

1. Rafael Valdivia Herrera

Rafael Valdivia Herrera Registered

I give up. It's impossible to get VR working on rfactor 2. I use Rverb g2 with i7 13700+ RTX 3080. And I can't maintain 90 fps playing online. All my settings are on low with no shadows and no processing.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

There are plenty of users here that run VR and maintain 90fps, others choose 45fps and are happy. rF2 requires a stout computer without even considering VR, it's physics calculations are immense. The VRAM requirements with the newer tracks are often 6 to 8 GB. Hopefully other VR users will chime in to see if they can improve your gameplay.
    best of luck.

atomed likes this.
  3. Rafael Valdivia Herrera

Rafael Valdivia Herrera Registered

Thank you!! That's what I'm waiting to see if someone advises me.

My PC
    I7 13700
    Ram 32Gb DDR5 5600
    RTX 3080
    Reverb G2
    Windows 11 Pro
    I use Process lasso.
    Open XR toolkit + open composite

4. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Maybe get back to non VR first and make sure you get plenty and stable fps first like 120 fps even in real multiplayer game. Then try VR ...

Does your PC run well in single screen ? 1440p ?

i5 4700K, Windows 10, 1060 GTX, Index Valve and i get very steady 45 fps. Never tried more ..

Don't downgrade too much graphics settings, it will probably have some bad effects. Some GPU prefer to be at full high settings ...

And there are a few settings to modify in NVidia desktop settings too, like full power performance and no energy savings, etc ...

And my advice, maybe try Steam VR first.

5. elbo

elbo Registered

I am running the same spec rig with open composite as well and getting a more than decent performance. Here is something that messed me up for a while. Make sure in the Nvidia control panel that v-sync is OFF and not controlled by the application. This set to application caused unbearable stutters. I hope this helps.

atomed likes this.
  6. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

VR complicates it for everybody. Uncomfortable to use, requires much more resources to run graphics, requires extra development.

7. Comante

Comante Registered

Your pc specs mean nothing without your vr setups. I play in vr, with a G2 , at 90 fps online, with a i7 4790k and a gtx1080 .
    I play at 60 65% resolution, no motion smoothing, no openxr toolkit , just with fsr within rf2 widget. That's it.
    I bet you are trying to use 100% resolution.
    Probably your gpu has not enough bandwidth to feed 180 fps at 3150x3150 each

Alexandre Martini and atomed like this.
  8. Comante

Comante Registered

Resolution is the least important aspect for vr racing. Try a Resolution little more than screen resolution (2150×2150)(50%) . You will be able to crank details up.
    Steamvr is out of question obviously.

9. Comante

Comante Registered

Use only openxr tools to set your vr, disable the toolkit

10. vava74

vava74 Registered

Online you could be experiencing lack of internet bandwidth. Check your in-game specs and, as well, your internet service speed.

11. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

QUEST2 owner with rtx3080 like you and a 5800x3d
    Stable 90fps with high graphics setting but with the use of opencomposite to bypass steamvr

it’s an absolute must if you want to ensure high performance

12. AKR

AKR Registered

FYI: for me rf2 provides the best VR experience of any sim out there.

justposted likes this.
  13. Gaining VR performance in rF2 is somewhat harder then with other sims which have native VR support or a more actual / modern engine, but I am using a Pico 4, a Pimax 5k+ and a Pimax 8kx with rF2 and got reasonable performance at 90 Hz.

There are various howtos and guides around (also at this forum) and I would start without using any third party tool and with default settings before tweaking anything.

This means running SteamVR and Nvidia control at default settings, benchmarking, tweaking Nvidia settings and SteamVR a bit, benchmarking again, tweaking GFX settings ingame, benchmarking, tweaking settings in player.json, bench....

Nürburgring GP is one of the most performance demanding tracks, especially at Castrol-S (end of start / finish), Mercedes Arena (with the ferris wheel) and Dunlop-Kehre.

Running a replay does not demand the same performance then driving in my experience, so I am using single player mode, went on track, got out of garage and switch to AI.

Tools like fpsVR are handy, but demand also some performance, so I would start with the basic performance view on CTRL+F, viewing min, max and avg - this done at the start on a AI race will give you a reference point.

In player.json I would recommend to set player and opponent detail level to low and override to 3, lower the distance of rendered objects in the rear mirror and do we really need to see everything and all in the rear mirror (switch off virtual mirrors (key binding 3 by default)) ... I know for immersion we do need ... to read distance tables properly texture filter should be set to a high value.

To save performance switch off post effects or set to low, also track details can be set to low and texture detail to a higher value; I have set MSAA 4x, e.g.

I can take a screenshot and post it later.

If you are driving with time multiplier it will get more difficult to get reasonable performance or stable FPS - I was trying Valencia some days ago with the Pico 4 at 90 Hz, time multiplier set to 4 and starting time set to 7 p.m. - everything went fine, expect the few minutes when sun was disappearing completely and it went over to night; FPS was going down to 70.

On a monitor this will not be a problem, but as we have the LCDs right in front of our eyes we notice that the picture is refreshed by 90 Hz but is rendered with 70 Hz only. That's the main problem.

My rig is comparable:
    i7-13900k
    MSI 3080 Gaming Z Trio

Also have a look - for this we need fpsVR or something like that - if your GPU is going up to 95 or 98, 99% - if not it is not a problem related to FX settings ingame.

edit: take another sim, like AMS2 (which is known for good VR performance) and check if everything is running smooth in order to avoid some general problems; I remember a couple of reports on the internet about connection issues with G2 (I think the cable plug or something like that being loose)

memoNo1 and nolive721 like this.
  14. The screenshots ... I get stable FPS at given number / value as given in title of the presets e.g. with pico_low_at_90 settings I get 90 FPS (and have some headroom), with 8kx_at_75 I get stable 75 FPS; tscr is the abbreviation for triple screen.

Attached Files:

15. Hicks

Hicks Registered

i5 - 9600k / 3060Ti / Quest2 here, and I'm having lots of fun in VR
    of course I had to lower graphic settings, no AA, medium shadows, but still looks decent...
    Don't give up, with that PC you should be able to run it with no problems.

16. Michael Hipke

Michael Hipke Registered

Hello,

I game on a rx6950xt with a 5600x and 32gb ram.
    I want to buy a pico4 to play in VR would my PC handle it or do I have to upgrade my CPU to a 5800x3d to get good Performance?

Also does anyone has experience with VR under Linux ? I'm okay with installing windows on another partition but I rather not if I don't have to.

Thanks

17. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

we are exchanging on my PICO thread. are you sure you didn't mix up the pics file names? because your pico at 90fps and pico low at 90fps show the exact same Graphics settings.
    and that would worry me a bit if thats the case because I run my Q2 at 90fps with much higher Graphics and also MSSA/Post processing

18. I need to look it up ingame - sorry for mixing it up eventually.

19. You are right - I was checking out some options and parameters and did not switch back :-( The difference between pico_low and pico is texture detail set to full and low.

nolive721 likes this.
  20. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

Thanks for the clarification
    The P4 arrives tomorrow but i am on a biz trip so no testing until sunday
    Will let you kow how it goes