HTTP Download Questions.....

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Slothman, May 27, 2012.

1. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

With Build90 that is out now, we are testing downloading small virtual mods only. In fact these are really Host Server Lists, but we are working on extending this to actually content. First it will be downloading smaller updates, then mods from predefined hosts and finally components from server defined multiple locations.

On the autoinstall side, this effort might be pushed forward sooner as this feature is proving to be helpful with some other situations that is causing some confusion.

2. Slothman

Slothman Registered

The autoinstall is a pretty cool idea Gjon.

The option to download content from a predefined host will see me a happy camper...anything past that....gold, pure gold.

3. Kalanur

Kalanur Registered

Oops. Yes, I've forgotten that you can install the mods directly via the ingame menu. Only used it once because the mod manager works better for me in regards of the overview if you have more mods.

Nice to know that you are working on a simpler solution for people to get faster into the multiplayer action.

4. Mee

Mee Registered

Gjon, will there be a bandwith-limiting option for these http-downloads? It's a great functionality which makes it much easier for people to join a server, but on servers that don't have high bandwidths I would think this could cause some lag for people on the server when somebody is downloading something.

Example: I have a maximum upload of 650 KB/s. This is fine for hosting rF2 (up to a point). Let's say due to drivers on the servers there's a constant 200 KB/s of upload traffic to the clients. If somebody wants to join now and wants to download (a part of) the hosted mod, it will 'choke' the max upload of 650 KB/s and the clients will get less updates (so, lag!). If this HTTP-bandwidth could be limited at -say- 200 KB/s, the dedicated server would have enough headroom to maintain the 200 KB/s to the clients and will still be able to upload the files over HTTP - albeit a bit slower than without the limit, but #care :).