HP Reverb G2 and rfactor 2

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Andy Bonar, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Rf2 only appears in that list in steam when it's running. As soon as you shut it down it disappears again

2. J0E

J0E Registered

I had the launcher open and it didn't register it. Strange that it would show IL-2 and Eleven but not RF2.

3. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

I now also have the G2. The following greatly improves the performance:

Uninstalling NVIDIA Geforce Experience
    Deactivating the Xbox Game Bar in the settings
    Set the following regkey:

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Holographic" If the "PreallocateVirtualMonitors" REG_DWORD is not present, create it by selecting Edit > New > DWORD (32-bit) Value and entering PreallocateVirtualMonitors as the name If the "PreallocateVirtualMonitors" REG_DWORD is present (or you just created it), double-click the entry and change "Value data" from 1 (its default value) to 0 (zero) TRUE - 1 FALSE - 0

Apart from that, the resolution in SteamVR should be set below 100% unless there is an RTX 3090 in the computer.

4. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Ive tried all those, none of them really made any difference. Ive never used GeForce Experience though, so cant comment on that.
    I think ive got it the best it can be, and it does look pretty good now ive tweaked everything.

5. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

I just wanted to update this thread as I seem to have finally managed to get this sorted.

First of all, I always had set my resolution in Steam at 50% for the G2, that was based on what everyone seems to say as there is some sort of bug in steam vr.

Well, its not. I watched this video and it all makes sense.

I now run my g2 at 100% and have my graphics set somewhere between medium and high, depending on track and weather conditions.
    I also run the headset at 100% in other games, half life alyx etc, and it makes such a difference.
    When I was told about running the headset at 100%, i thought, no chance, my pc will grind to a halt. But i was wrong. The difference now is that my GPU is actually being used up to around 90% rather than 35-30%.

I have locked my motion reprojection to 45fps as I do not see any difference between that and 90, and it works really well.

To say rF2 has become a different experience for me since making these changes is an understatement. It now looks and performs superbly, and not far off AMS2 which has been my gfx benchmark.

I have made the coupld of changes to my player.json to these lines:

rearviewback clip was 0 - now 70
    gargae detail was 0.5 - now .01
    max headlights set at 12

As always, the big changer is the number of cars visible, so i keep that at 10 to 12.

I use a fantastic app created by Tappi to have several gfx presets available which I can quickly test before each race, and select the best one for the job.

This alone has been a massive headache remover and can highly recommend it.

https://sim-site.netlify.app/blog/2021-02-20-rfactor-2-settings-widget/

upload_2021-3-5_8-35-39.png

Im using the 4th March RC beta.
    Nvidia driver im using is 461.40, think there is a newer one, but ive not tried that yet.

Hope this helps others who may have been suffering with using a 30 series card

Hazi likes this.
  6. Warrie

Warrie Registered

Thanks for the advice Andy, I came here because I have the same issue. It runs flawless on my G2 with most settings to high/ultra and I still get a stable 90fps, but during a race with about 20 cars it drops to around 60. As soon as the other cars are out of my view it's 90fps, but when I drive in the general direction of the pack it immediately drops to 60 again.
    I do think this has to do something with the engine optimization of rf2 - I can run Iracing with stable 90fps, most settings to max and 40 cars visible. It's weird that in rf2 having 20 AI in your view drops the fps so extreme :-/

Andy Bonar and Hazi like this.
  7. DJChrizz

DJChrizz Registered

Hi, I use a G2 since few days. My first VR ever and my FIRST time I test a VR glass was 1 week before.
    Oh my god ... what an amazing new driving experience.

I have a PC with an I7 9700k and a 2070 super oc and msi micro-ATX board with USB c

the glass works fine since first time plug in and install MS mixed reality.
    I only buy this HP G2 for rFactor 2, the driving is something new, motion sickness on the first times but ... ok now. Think the body needs a little time for this new feeling.

Have anyone the prob after start rFactor2 and take off the G2 rFactor 2 ends every time? I don't know what I changes while testing the new VR glass, normal rFactor 2 don't quit when remove the G2. one of the sensors must be quit the game or something.

8. Warrie

Warrie Registered

Great that you enjoy it DJChrizz, it's an amazing experience right? :) I don't have the issue you are mentioning, but try to delete your surroundings-data in the WMR settings and redraw your border, or select 'seated position'. I had a weird issue where the G2 itself would completely crash after taking it off. I thought my cable was broken first until someone mentioned it was an error with the surrounding data. I didn't believe that at first, that the G2 would completely crash because it has an issue with the surrounding data, but after I cleared the data and reselected seated position my problem went away instantly.

9. DJChrizz

DJChrizz Registered

yeah, I did this before I read it here. All good now but I need a Monitor also I think. The glassis new for me and I have to train a little with it.
    The driving is amazing in rFactor 2