How to update an original mod

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Iketani, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

But in that case, you are not able to update the mod, so you can't be using the updated content on the default fr3.5 servers?

What is the reason that updating does not work here? I know how to make a new class out of it, but I do not understand why it does not work.

What I especially don't understand, and really would like to know, is why does the updated component work for the sound, but not for the car? The action performed is the same, so there should be no difference I believe.

2. mianiak

mianiak Registered

I'm not 100% sure 'cause I am waiting for a reply, but I think the issue here is that you can't update someone else's mod, which is how it should be. That's why making a new mod and including the existing mod as a virtual component is the way to do it.

*in my previous post I said make the fr3.5 a component, that's a mistake, I should have said, virtual component.

3. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

Ok, I can understand that.

However, it's the opposite of what Tim has said. He said somewhere (can't find it right now), that you CAN update other's mods. It does work, as I have done it before with the Meganes.

I really think this is related to the update on an update. I tried to make the update on the cars (FormulaRenault35s) for version 1.1. and for version 1.0.
    If I use the one for 1.0, it installs without any problems. If i do the same for 1.1, it fails to install.

Probably, but this is just guessing, the reason lies with the fact that update 1.1 only contains a TEAMS file, and the update we want to do is a MAIN file. It's can't find the MAIN file, so it won't install the update.

But like said, thats speculating, and I have to little inside knowledge to make sure of that. Also, I have found that this version of the packaging tool is very instable, and not working correctly all the time. Therefore, I tried the same action on build 60, but in this specific case it made no difference.

4. Iketani

Iketani Registered

I think that are coming a new update of the game. Must we wait, then?

5. Iketani

Iketani Registered

Ok. I can't create an update for this mod. Then... if I want to create a mod from scratch, I create a vehicle, sound and talent components, I package the mod with my rFm, and when I install the mod in the ModMgr, the mod dissappears from the manager list and only appears the cars in All Tracks & Vehicles section, and I get a lot of errors in track loading screen...

6. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

Did you create it based on the files from the 3.5? Or is it a total scratch?

7. Iketani

Iketani Registered

Original talent files/component, original TEAMS component with all the teams files (v1.0 and v1.1), and finally my new vehicle and sounds components. Need I add some track to Packager, or it isn't important?

Thanks.

8. Iketani

Iketani Registered

Do you can try now, with the new build 85, please? There are a new MAS2.exe but I have tried and I have the same problem yet.

Thanks.

9. madleecher

madleecher Registered

I wanna make a Mod which is based on the Formula Masters Mod and want to change Skins, Teaminformation and also some other Graphics. My big problem is that i have export all data to moddev dir but only the serie is showing in menu and no cars can be choose.

please i need help .. is my first modding action for rF2

10. madleecher

madleecher Registered

11. Cangrejo

Cangrejo Registered

We hope these skins with impatience :p. We also appreciate that explain the process.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2012
  12. Iketani

Iketani Registered

Me too :D

13. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Are you pressing 'Done' after you have set up the updated component, then reopening the package tool to pack it?

14. madleecher

madleecher Registered

I dont know :) first of all i want edit all parts and than i will watching die component

15. Iketani

Iketani Registered

What do you refer? I see in green the components when I package and install that... but yes, I click "Done", then close and I package/install the next component...

My problem I think is when I use the mod packager program. I have created a "FormulaRenault35s v1.2" for vehicle (because the original it's "FormulaRenault35s v1.0 and v1.1"). Then, if I add my new v1.2 of the vehicle component, the program says that already exists a component with this name... (because I have installed the entire original mod v1.0 and update v1.1).

And if I try to package an scratch mod, with new v1.0 components, my problem is when I install the mod. I install mod in ModMgr and that disappears from the list :/

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2012
  16. Steffen_M

Steffen_M Registered

I need your help with the mas files.

I´ve paintet a Nissan GT-R and want to test it. But i don´t know how to get the Skin as a standalone ingame. In the forum i had not found anything that fits for me.

17. Iketani

Iketani Registered

18. Iketani

Iketani Registered

Now, I have a problem with Renault Mégane Trophy mod. I want to put that in ModDev mode, but I follow this guide and I get errors in "track loading" screen...

1 - Extract the ISI allcarstracks_10.mas to ModDev\RFM
    2 - Edit the ALL_TRACKS_AND_CARS_10.RFM

Change the lines :-

TrackList to Track Filter = *
    VehicleList to Vehicle Filter = *

3 - Make new folder MEGANE in ModDev\Sounds
    4 - Extract Megane_Sounds.mas to ModDev\Sounds\MEGANE
    5 - Make new folder Megane2009 in ModDev\Vehicles
    6 - Make new folder Teams in ModDev\Vehicles\Megane2009
    7 - Extract Megane_MAIN.mas to ModDev\Vehicles\Megane2009
    8 - Copy M2009.mas to ModDev\Vehicles\Megane2009
    9 - Copy Megane_TEAMS.mas to ModDev\Vehicles\Megane2009\Teams