How to update an original mod

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Iketani, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Iketani

Iketani Registered

Hi. How to update an original mod of rFactor 2, please? Formula Renault 3.5 or Mégane Trophy, for example. I want to update the sounds of both mods. Must I create updated version 1.1 or 1.2 of vehicle Formula Renault 3.5 component? Or the component must be 1.0 and not selecting the "update version" option?

A lot of thanks.

2. Novis

Novis Registered

3. Iketani

Iketani Registered

Thanks for the answer. But, take a look. I get the next problem :/

[​IMG]

4. Novis

Novis Registered

My guess would be that you haven't installed the FR3.5 sounds in your development directory. All components you intend to build on or reference must be installed there.

Take a look at the packaging tutorial in the documentation thread:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/1573-Tutorials-Modding-Downloads

EDIT: Sorry I didn't look at the picture enough. Tired, need to think about it. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2012
  5. Iketani

Iketani Registered

The picture shows that I have installed the FR35 sounds in rF2ModDev directory :/ (I think...) I have installed the mod completely in rF2ModDev directory (v1.0 and update v1.1)...

Edit: Ok I think that I can't update original mod. I will try creating as a new mod. A lot of thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2012
  6. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

Perhaps a stupid remark, but with the original downloads, update for RF3.5 is already released to 1.1. So, I suspect that you have a version 1.1 installed already. If not, do so first, and then make the new update to version 1.1a for instance. Update from 1.1, so from the latest version.

What you also can do is check with the PACKAGE function, if the sounds v1.0 is available in the Other box (bottom box). IF it's installed indeed, it should be mentioned there.

7. Iketani

Iketani Registered

In Component creator, must I create the components as next of the original? For example, if the original vehicle component is 1.1, must I put 1.2 (checking update from 1.1)? Or must I put only 1.2 (unchecking update from)?

8. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

You do need to check the Update from box, and fill in the version you want to update from.

That is if you actually want to make an update. Other option is to take all the files from the original mod, and create a stand alone update.
    Normally, thats not what you should do. When updating a single component, like the sound in this example, it's better to create an update.

9. Iketani

Iketani Registered

Yeah, I want to update the sounds. But I don't know if it's possible and after, play the mod with my sounds update in online mode. For example, the actual Formula Renault 3.5 mod version is 1.1, then I want to update with my sounds to 1.2 version, only updating vehicle (sfx) and sounds components. Is it possible to do? Thanks.

10. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

Yes, thats possible.

Do mind that, as the version number changes, it is not possible to use the updated version, with non-updated servers. It only works for those servers that are build including the new sound.

Make sure you name your component update exactly like the original one. Then tick the update from box, and enter the version number. Select the new files you want to use, and create the component.
    To use it in a vmod, you have to install the component first. Then go to the Package section, and select the 1.2 version of the cars.

11. Iketani

Iketani Registered

If I check "update from" box, and I click Package button, the program says: "Base component FormulaRenault35s v1.1 must be installed for make an update." and I can't package and install the new component. And obviously I have installed the entire mod and official 1.1 update in the rF2ModDev folder...

Edit: Ok, I can package&install the updated components with "update from" box checked. But, when I install the 1.2 update version with the ModMgr.exe, in the folder I see that disappears the v1.1 and I see only one "1.0" folder with the original FR35_MAIN.mas and FR35_TEAMS.mas files... Nothing about my v1.2 version files :/

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2012
  12. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

Upload the components to Mediafire or something, and PM me the link. I will have a look for you.

13. Iketani

Iketani Registered

Ok thanks. I will upload the components at 19:00 PM approximately. But if you can explain the procedure here, o by PM, I will appreciate it.

A lot of thanks.

14. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

Yes, I will explain it here. Just want to know what you have done already, and what status all is in. Makes it more easy to give a decent answer, which you can use ;)

15. Iketani

Iketani Registered

Yeah, ok. Then, I will upload the two components, created with the "update from" box checked. Must I add only the new _MAIN.mas (with the new .sfx file), or also the fr35.mas, and _TEAMS.mas?

16. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

No, I do need the default content. Just the things that you have changed, so I can see what you need to do to get it working.

If possible, try to create a .zip file with the content you need in the mas files. So not the already packaged mas file, but the components you have changed. That way, we can be sure that the problem you have is not related to a step in the packaging process.

17. Iketani

Iketani Registered

18. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

I tried, but got the same results.

Only way to install the update on the car itself, is when you select Update from 1.0, and install only that version. Then install the update from the car, and then the update from the mod. Only then it presents 2 components of the car. Really strange, I don't get it.

I asked one of the "knowledgeable" persons to have a look at this thread, to see what we are doing wrong here.

Sorry I cant help...

19. Iketani

Iketani Registered

Ok a lot of thanks for try it man :)

20. mianiak

mianiak Registered

In this situation, you should be creating a separate mod. Using the fr3.5 as a component then adding your modifications to that. You want to make your files a different name to the original ones.