How many of you bought rF2 for mods and have now changed your mind (about mods)?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by titi611, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

There is nothing that we've seen that works differently between dev mode and single player where it concerns physics. Graphically there are issues, but physics wise there has not been any issue. But yes, that is what we do, we re-package every time even if we change a couple values in one file, we package it, get it to our testers and they test it. So yes, my solution is to really do the repacking every time. Its just a process, not a big hassle.

I do not know what issues you're having with your mod, maybe we can share some info to help you out, but I cannot believe under any circumstance that you are incapable of continuing your mod unless that circumstance happens to be your knowledge of the system. That then could pose the issue of not knowing how to fix it and that can be frustrating, but if there is a way we can help you with info or if you have a question about something, you can let us know.

This is why its best for people to join teams and work together, there are a variety of people who work together, share knowledge, and produce things together as a team. So many people go it alone and then find it frustrating when no one wants to help them or when they don't know how to do something. You got a good mod there that deserves to be out in rF2, I just don't know what your going through so I'm speaking in a general sense as an outsider. But always willing to chat via PM and offer any help I can. Helping each other allows all of us to progress further. :)

Also, rF2 will never be finalized, it will become more stable in the future, but finalized? no...no game is ever finalized, its just left aside for something new because its become too old.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2013
  2. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

There are lots of suspension physics issues which seem to be solvable through DevMode, I hope so at least. Then some tire related things crash the game in single player but not in DevMode. The problematic issues however are that some cars crash the whole game when I try to assign them to AI players. They work fine when they are under player control. At least few cars do work correctly.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Because it's your first time crossing over to single player (or pretty much the first time) you've just got some catching up to do. Obviously if you'd gone completely the other way and done your testing via single player you would know what step, if any, broke it, but depending what you're doing I think it's clear doing the packaging each time could slow you down.

In various ways devmode is more forgiving than the packaged side. There'll be a few little things here and there breaking it, but it's probably worth trial and error to find them after the time you've spent on a mod.

4. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

Physics issues we haven't had so I'd assume something is not right in the files which is causing that. I know that if its not done right it can crash so that's what it sounds like to me. Sometimes its a small thing you don't really notice until you really delve into analyzing it. As for the cars crashing the whole game when you try to assign them as AI, that is more than likely a gen issue. Something not written right but I can't really tell without seeing. If we had your moddev version we could have a look into it to pinpoint the issue and give you the info on where the problem is. If you're interested, let me know via PM. :)

5. Johannes Rojola

I never really thought I would get into trouble using DevMode, but it seems to be the case. Maybe with single car mod this would be acceptable to try to fix things, but I have over 10 cars more or less broken. More I think of it, more I want to move on and actually have done that already. Working with Unity 3D and making my own games :)

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Unfortunately if you come back whenever you think rF2 is more consistent in this area (hard to know when any of it is 'finished', because by definition it's not finished... but anyway...) you'd probably just find they no longer work in devmode, matching the rF2 behaviour.

7. Johannes Rojola

That would be only good thing if they get the DevMode to match with SP. I am willing to risk that nothing works then, but at least I am able the start crunching the physics values with fast workflow.

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

How long was rF demo, then beta, then add to that the time it took till there was even enough of the better mods to warrant " buying it for 3rd party content " ?

Helluva lot longer then rF2's life that is certain. :)

Frankly I think GTR2 GTL rF especially have spoiled us with mods, want, want, want.....even then it never happened overnight did it.

Answer the question posed in another 2 years is fair you ask me. ;)

9. Emery

Emery Registered

I've noticed!

I think a lot of people need computer upgrades for rF2 to shine. I know I do, since the 2009-2011 computer gear I have just isn't up to the task. But that's no different than when rF1 came out... what worked for SCGT didn't do so well for rF1 and what works well for rF1 doesn't do so well for rF2. A new computer every 4-5 years is within most budget plans :)