How is brake wear implemented? Is it the disc or pad?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I've been poking through a HDV file trying to figure out brake wear. In a real car, there's brake pads that wear out as you use them then you change the pads. In endurance races, the cars are set up so that pads can be quickly changed out in the race. If you watch V8 supercars in the enduro races, they show a pad change and it very fast. Discs aren't usually changed out unless there was a crash or a prob with them and then the team loses bucketloads of time to disassemble the wheel and hub assembly to do that. Big job.

in rF2, this is what we have for pads (a 3rd party car- Howston looks similar though):
    BrakePadRange=(0, 1, 5) // pad type (not implemented)

It looks like brake pad wear is not implemented but there is a place holder maybe for the future? Is this right?

But there is brake wear:
    BrakeWearRate=2.5e-13 // meters of wear per second at optimum temperature
    BrakeFailure=(2.5e-002,9.0e-04) // average and variation in disc thickness at failure

It looks like brake wear is tied to brake disc thickness. Now if you have gotten to the point where you are wearing out your brake discs- YOU HAVE issues! That means the pad is gone and the calipers are digging into the steel/ceramic/carbon fiber. Yet, rF2 brake wear apparently is tied to the disc thickness (meaning that the disc is wearing away and not the pad) unless I am missing something. Does anyone know how this is calculated?

2. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

It says Brake"Pad"Range. ??? There must be a default setting in place, and it's being affected by the following wear values.

3. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

It also says not implemented

4. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I think the variable is not implemented. You just can't adjust it, but there must be something in place.

5. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Actually in reality brake pads and discs wear out. This is particularly true with carbon fibre brakes, so both are changed. However this is probably lumped into one brake wear factor.

6. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

If you guys pay attention to Le Mans races, the teams change pads on one brake stop and pads and rotors on another, alternating throughout the race. This should be enough of an indication that both do wear, though the pads wear faster. I think the biggest problem that the racers incur though is that the heating and cooling of the rotors actually warps them too much and is why they are replaced rather than due to actual physical wear of the surface.

7. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I've never seen that, GJ- good to know. rF2 must just do disc wear at this point, I wonder if pad wear will ever be implemented.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If you can't change pads or discs while racing, it doesn't really matter what's being worn ;)

So presumably the distinction will be made (separate disc and pad wear) if/when you're able to replace components in pitstops etc. Considering the 'not implemented' comment has been there for brake pads in rF1 for... erm... 7+ years? I probably wouldn't be holding my breath :)

9. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

That tells me all I need to know! I wonder now why they even have that line?

10. David Wright

David Wright Registered

Rf2 has its roots in rF1. rF1 has its roots in F1C and earlier F1 titles. In F1 its the discs which fail rather than the pads.

11. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

Rf1 had brakes that wore out. I remember doing a 24h le mans race with the 70's prototypes (512k etc) and about 11h in the brakes were gone, and again about 11h later.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Are you sure you're remembering rF1? I don't see how you could replace/renew the brakes... I haven't seen any [PITMENU] entries that would allow for it, and as far as I know there's never been any sort of automatic changing even if you pit with a failed brake. You start with a certain disc thickness, it wears in accordance with parameters, and when it approaches a (usually) randomised failure point it fails. I'm not too familiar with the Simbin titles but maybe they had something going in this area?

13. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

It resulted in an accident so we drove the car back to the pits and it did get fixed there.