How do I export a track mesh from 3ds max ?

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Jameswesty, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Are there any guides step by step ?

I want to export my track as I work on it so I can test parts out and see how Rf2 handles things.

cheers

2. ethone

ethone Registered

Have you installed the rF 3ds max plugins? Have you set up your meshes to use the gMotor materials?

I'm currently not at home so I can't provide you with a detailed walkthrough, but those two would be the two biggies. The 3ds max plugins provide you with the gMotor materials you need to use for your materials, and it gives you an export function to output your meshes to .gmt (and produce the necessary .scn file if you set up your .max file accordingly).

3. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

ha

yah i installed the plugins not sure what i have to do to set the mesh up specifcaly ( do i just use channels as you would texture normaly with a multi sub object and then apply the materials to them ? )

I think you put a track up or sumone did i got that so if I can find out how to exsport that as if it was my own track then i can work out how everything works from that , im just stuck on the exporting aspect.

Thanks for the help Its really appreciated !

4. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

ok i got the mesh converter on the tool bar now lol so going to try and fiddel with that to exsport :)

5. ethone

ethone Registered

Ah ok. Yeah, if you have mianiak's test track you can look at his .max files on how to set up the materials.
    For exporting the meshes, select the objects you want to export, select the folder to export them to, and hit the export button. :)

Materials go in a multi-sub material, and on the meshes themselves you use the Material IDs, yes.

6. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

his track crashes Rf2 eddior at the moment ( just using his files having not touched annything) might work for him need to try and find sumone that has a track or just wait for ISI to give out one :) ,

on the face of it seems like things should be ok though , thanks again !

7. freew67

freew67 Registered