[WIP] Highlands Motorsport Park 0.82b

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Drathuu, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Glad I could be helpful, even if I don't understand yet how I helped! ;)

2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Just by bringing the topic up!
    As you probably know and I think you have already commented, my tracks are very poor in terms of road textures. I didn't give to it the importance that I should have, I guess. The way you posted made me see how important it can be and made me think how could I introduce more variety without complicating too much.

The basic idea would be to use one main flat texture and a secondary texture full of road marks and other details. This secondary texture would be divided in transversal direction in 8 sectors which is the number of polys I typically use per width for real road. In the longitudinal one I guess I will use less divisions. In the limits of the rectangles both textures would be the same to obtain a seamless result when the secondary material is applied to two triangles of the road mesh composing a rectangle. However in the inside of the rectangle cracks, "seamless" patches, and other track details could be easily introduced. I am not sure if I explained very well. I need to try it to see how it works and its limitations. The main idea is to be able to do the material swaps in 3dsimed or 3dsmax. To do the same thing in BTB is a pain in the butt due to the cross section working method.

3. Seahawks1Fan

Seahawks1Fan Registered

This evening I was testing this track for use in a possible league race and 2 of us had an issue with the lap not registering when going through the pits while serving a drive through penalty. Curious if the start/finish line does not extend through the pit lane.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2014
  4. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

I just checked, no i didnt extend the start finish line across the pitlane (that was a bit of an oversite).... I will edit this now.. and upload a newer version this evening along with some other fixes already applied from above.

View attachment 13715

Fixed - Will upload in 3 hours or so - Other items done
    View attachment 13716
    Texture saturation altered as per Tosch's very informative email on texture colours.
    Spelling errors + a few other minor annoyances i wanted to clean up.. (Nothing more than 1 hours work sadly).. will get time later next week to do some work.

Happy to hear people think its already good enough to use in a leugue season.. Keep the feedback coming guys .. Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2014
  5. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Just uploaded a fixed 83b version (to fix the pitlane problem for those running leagues) - See updated link at top of thread (first post) - (I would like to change the thread subject heading to remove the version too - Dont seem to be able too myself) any admins could help with this ??

I will add in the HDR profile tomorrow (Thankyou Tosch)

Oh i should add - Awesome Race Ricardo !!! Go you good thing :)

6. tjc

tjc Registered

Good stuff Drathuu. :)

7. MrBiscotte

MrBiscotte Registered

3 laps on this Track with the DTM T5 Series Mod. Thank you Drathuu.

8. coops

coops Banned

drathu when are you going to release morgan park and wellington ?????????????????????

9. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Haha coops :) I know youve been nagging me on wellington for a while now :) Rework my first RF track, yes its in the pipeline

My agenda looks like -
    1. Finalise this track

2. Eastern Creek (new layout) as your aware was also being done in parrallel by another group so i have parked that to let them finish it (RADAR im looking at you !!! Hurry up).

2. Complete Luddenham for the Luddenham Team in Sydney (Shouldnt take long at all as simple track) and i want to finish it as they Open the track for use here. (Its half done already, just going to put in what i learned on this track).

3. Build a simple end to end track in 3ds - Learn all the skills necessary (and feel the pain)... Likely Highlands Speedway as many tutorials on oval tracks + joesville i can use as a sample. (Added to highlands release for the Dirt Track people).

4. Re-Build wellington from scratch. (This would be my first hardcore attempt in 3ds end to end)... and I want to up the Ante again on detail and visuals. (I set myself expectations way beyond my ability.. but then i'll learn). I have a fair swag of source material from my first effort and a lot of feedback that i can use to improve the 2nd iteration.

That should keep me busy in my lack of spare time ;) If you want to learn some 3ds with me on the way, your welcome to drop me a line.

10. coops

coops Banned

i have not got your email you can msg me it if you like would love to learn things but dont have 3ds max lol cant wait for your wellington its a great track and you did an excelent job on that for rf1 and i know you will do even better for rf2.

11. Radar

Radar Registered

If work stops flying me around the place I'll have a chance to complete it, plus the other project for rF2 and another sim game. Getting there Drath, getting there.

12. Andy_rsrf

Andy_rsrf Registered

13. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Andy, .. Thankyou :) - Wont be doing much work this weekend, but will get back into it next week to update quite a bit for later next week update.