High GPU Usage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dice65, Jan 1, 2013.

1. dice65

dice65 Registered

just installed version 134 and i am getting very high gpu load with just myself doing laps , i have a ati 6970 with newest drivers , res at 1920x1080 32bit 60hz , 8x aa ,8x anti with HDR on , using radonpro im at 80 to 98 % GPU usage , seems very high ? what happenes if i add ai cars or go online ? will it go to 100 % an cause studders ?

2. Golanv

Golanv Registered

8xaa + hdr especially if you have shadows running is alot to take for most gpu's. Game is too heavy for high end cards atm. and most likely continues to be till proper optimization.
    AI and online racing adds load for CPU and not so much for GPU so I wouldnt be too concerned about it.
    Lowering shadow quality and taking shadow blur off helps plenty with fps if youre not willing to give up anything else for a tad better performance.

3. dice65

dice65 Registered

somethings not just right , i turned off HDR turned off AA an AF shadows on low an no blur , still getting 99% GPU usage but 200 fps and game runs still smooth

4. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

And what is not right there?

5. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

He doesn't like the fact that his GPU is still running at near 100% even though he turned off AA and HDR.

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Forget about gpu usage the more the better, why waste it. :D
    I can have mine peaking out for hours not a stutter online/offline.

200 fps is at least solid 60fps with AA / HDR on so GPU or V sync it.

7. Minibull

Minibull Member

If the CPU is not bottlenecking the GPU at all, and you are running with no Vsync or framelimiter of any kind, the GPU will render as fast as it can. Hence, 200fps and max GPU usage. Keep your same settings, and put some form of cap on the fps, and I bet you will see the usage drop.

The one place I noticed this was with Jdoom, running the old Doom games. I would have an fps reading into the million billions, and a GPU going flat out. Capped it with vsync to 60, all good.

8. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

Yes there's nothing wrong with 99% GPU usage.

Whether you are alone on track or you have 20 AI cars it doesn't matter - the GPU can still be running at max (dependant on the rest of your system). The only difference is it'll give you better frame rates when you're the only car.

9. Minibull

Minibull Member

Yep nothing wrong with it, except it is wasted power and extra heat if you are only needing 60fps constant and the GPU can easily deliver that 60fps.

10. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

You can always limit the FPS to somewhere around double your screen's refreshrate, that way it doesn't have to render 200fps all the time... Just do'nt use vsync to accomplish this but rather something like MSI afterburners fps limiter

11. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

If his system is running over 60 FPS all the time, there is no reason not to use vsync as there wouldn't be any slowdown caused by using it. vsync is a very viable option to ensure smooth game play, but I have to stress your system must be able to render a minimum of your monitors refresh all the time. If it drops below your monitors refresh it will show as a stutter and lower FPS by 1/3 or up to 1/2 of your refresh rate.