Have a separate pc for hosting ....how many servers can I host on it? ( 20meg bb )

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Adrianstealth, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I didn't even know I could host more than 1 but I think it allows,

But how many?

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Depends on Processor I think mate.

One server per Core.

AMD/Intel Dual Core 2 servers
    AMD/Intel Quad 4 servers
    AMD FX6-8/Intel Extreme, 3930K, etc. 6/8 servers

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Cheers,

I have a quad core so I guess that's x4 servers ( if I ever need to ), I'm guessing the no extra setup to assign each core etc

Nothing else running on that pc so I guess that will help too

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Well I have not tired this on the dedicated server.

I not sure how many cars that equates to but if dedicated menu is anything to go
    by you want 8mb up and down for 30 cars ?

edit >>> I have 8000/356 is why I run a scrappy 8 cars p

So I guess you could run 2 full rooms or 4 with less drivers ?

Good question to ask someone does the same as you would like.

Difference with dedicated server like NRT you do not share traffic.

5. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

Howdy,

Somewhere in these threads is one that Dave-NRT posted that has a small .bat file to launch rFactor2, using only one core of the processor. Dave-NRT also posted brief instructions on how to use the file. The game does NOT do it on it's own.

You want fF2's dedicated launcher to be only using one core. If you don't, every time you launch an instance of rF2, or the server reloads the track, it WILL use 100% of all the cores it can find, making the other instances of rF2 to either crash or experience severe lag.

If you don't find it... PM me and I'll send you the file. NRT is who I use for my server. :)

As far as how many cars you can have running on your server... That's all up to your internet connection (not what your ISP says it is... but what it is).

The only thing you can really do, is to do a little testing and see how many drivers you can actually get away with hosting.

I had lowly DSL with my server at home, with (1.5meg down/768K up) and could host 12 cars. I brought the same "box" to work with (50 megs down/15 megs up) and could only host 3 more cars. Durge can only do 8 with (8megs down/356up). So, your mileage will vary. If someone starts to watch a YouTube video while you're hosting... well, it's all over anyways.

If you're serious about having a server, that can connect reliably with people from (pretty much) all over the globe, you really don't have much of a choice; but to rent one from a company like NRT, who are sim racers who rent servers to sim racers.

Oh yeah, you can run TS3 servers from their VPSs or if you rented an entire box from them you could host 4 instances of rF2 and 4 instances of Team Speak 3.

Hope this helps.

Bryan

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2012
  6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Bryan

Thanks, I'll be using a separate pc, I have a fairly consistent 15 to 20meg down & 1meg up so I think I'll be ok

I'll test it to see how much it will stand

I prefer to use a separate pc & easy for me because I have already setup ( mainly used for streaming media/YouTube to my tv )

7. Bryan Birtwell

Good luck, let me know if you need that .bat file.

Bryan

8. Spadge

Spadge Registered

Batch file? How wonderfully 1980s! ;)

Normally, you'd create a shortcut to load "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 C:\Path\To\rFactor2_dedi.exe" (The "1" is a hex value that gets tricky. 1 = cpu0, 2 = cpu1, 3 = cpu1&2 ... *boggle*)

If the dedicated server exe doesn't respect the cpu affinity it was launched with, I'd call that a bug and report it for a fix.

9. Radar

Radar Registered

Just curious.. Why create a bat file for affinity to run on processor 1, 2, etc.. why not just change your shortcut link and add the +procmask=1 or +procmask=2 for the second processor etc ??????

eg.

Target: "D:\rFactor2\Core\rFactor2 Dedicated.exe" D:\rFactor2\Core\rFactor2 Dedicated.exe +procmask=1 +profile "player"

change it to 2 for core 2 etc..

It works the exact same way as the BAT file above.

10. Bryan Birtwell

Might be 1980's... but with a .bat file you can add "timing marks" that force the process to wait until something else has started.

Bottom line is It works!

Bryan

11. Spadge

Spadge Registered

Which is really all that matters. :)