GTX 660Ti vs HD 7950 V3 Boost - Which one is faster in rF2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PorscheMR6, Sep 21, 2012.

1. PorscheMR6

PorscheMR6 Registered

hi,
    i'm currently planning to uprade my system:
    Code:
    Model: Home Built
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k @ 3.3GHz
    Motherboard: ASROCK z68 pro3 gen3
    Memory: 8GB DDR3
    Video: ATI 5850 PCS+ 1GB GDDR5
    i'm determined to stick with my current CPU, but i might overclock it if needed.

these two cards have made it on my final list
    VTX3D Radeon HD 7950 X-Edition V3 Boost
    EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

is there anyone(preferably with an i5 2500k @ 3.3GHz) who can test those cards(or any 660Ti any any 7950 v3 Boost) with the newest build at 1920x1080 + 8xAA or higer + 8xAF or higher + HDR ???

btw: a few builds ago i saw that Ati cards, which are quite a bit faster than their nVidia counterparts in almost all games, are significantly slower than their nVidia counterparts in rF2.
    Does the game lack optimization for Ati cards or does nVidia's architecture simply suit the game better?
    In case the 1st possibility is true: will the game's optimization for Ati cards improve?

2. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

According to Toms Hardware, those 2 cards are roughly equivalent in performance. That being said, if rF2 shows significant differences in performance, then it could only be due to how rF2 does things and not due to the cards. This would include driver optimizations and such.

It has been stated in the past that ISI asked ATI to help optimize for rF2 and was told that ISI needed to make their product compatible with the driver not the other way around.

All of that being said, I have no clue which one performs best in rF2 though I would expect that the issue is going to be more involved than just what others can achieve as everyone's system is different. As far as your CPU, the i5 2500K is more than enough to handle pretty much anything you can throw at it right now, though if you plan on running quad graphics that might not be the case. Also you would need at least a triple monitor setup to really push your system with either of those cards.

3. PorscheMR6

PorscheMR6 Registered