GPS Line

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by john gianni, Nov 21, 2012.

1. john gianni

john gianni Registered

Hi All,
    we know that the correct line will play the most important role in a fast lap time...
    I was arguing if is there any tool in F1 or motor racing real world that lets the pilot analyze his lines through a circuit? Just to check if pilot is actually on the fastest turn-in, apex, turn-out combination?

BTW... any plugin that would do this in rFactor? :)

2. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

I don't think GPS data is accurate enough to help. But you don't need GPS data to analyze your lines (well not specifically your line but how fast you are) because you have a lot of other telemetry data.

3. Nick Johnston

Nick Johnston Registered

I run a karting team and we use GPS Data a lot. It is very good for comparing two drivers in the same category out on the same session. You can overlay the lines, look at entry, apex, and exit speeds and RPM to see which drivers line is better, and how to adjust driving styles to suit it. Very very great tool for tuners like myself, to really see if the driver is at his optimal and not just blaming the chassis.

4. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

motec has GPS track generation. For some reason it works with rf2 i can compare only the line the car travels though. I use it to compare laps to see what lines i chose but the problem is...or i just haven't figured it out yet is that it only draws the the line the car drove and the the width of the track is left out . I haven't messed with it to much but maybe there's a way to input that data into motec..........

5. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Just let the AI doing some laps and the track becames so dark when rubbered even on straight lines thats make easy to learn any new track, if i understand correctly what are you asking

6. osella

osella Registered

That's not what he asks for, I think he knows the basic line but he want to further master it, the line taken by AI is not always perfect, also drivers have different driving styles and some people are actually faster on some tracks if they suboptimal line because when taking the perfect one, they screw up (like me sometimes, lol). So he wants to analyze all the various lines he is using in a race and compare.

7. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Motec. You can compare two lap times in "track report". That would be exactly what he is asking for.

8. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

About the best way to use motec to "compare" laps using GPS would be to overlay or underlay as the case may be a video of the laps in question and sync it to the motec data so you can visually see your lap and see the motec data for that particular lap. It is a bit of a pita to get things setup, but can be very informative when viewed this way as you can tell exactly what line you drove on the track and the outcome of that line.

9. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

today i tried to upload a google earth image of the track i was on. There is a way to do this on the track editor but im confused on how to do it atm but it seems promising. From what i can tell while in the track editor it asked to upload google earth img or something to that extent but since the gps data from my driving line is wrong ( im assuming) it defaults to wrong Lat and Long data from where ever. If i can or someone else can find this lat and long data im sure i could find a way to make it right so we could use google maps API and have an over view of your racing line superimposed on the actual google earth track which would be totally awesome . With that you could measure the radius of cnrs and do calcs of the top speeds and so forth....really cool stuff

10. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Hmmm, that might be an option, I have never honestly even looked at that to see how it worked. The issue that we would run into though is for all those fictitious tracks out there ;)

11. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

maybe with the fictitious tracks there's a way to export a top down view from 3dmax. The modder could do this when the said track is released. It just getting it into motec as the back ground and scaling it to the proper dimensions. TBH i think that would be cool for all tracks because all we need is the width anyway

12. john gianni

john gianni Registered

Thanks for so many good answers... Yes the problem is that I'd like to refine my line... And check for my consistency lap after lap...
    Good to know that MoTec can somehow do this... Will try :)

13. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

One of the nice things about motec is that you can have 2 or more separate laps showing at once and have the track map set to show braking and you will be able to see where one lap differs from another. It usually works best with only 2 laps showing, but still very cool stuff. You can also animate the cursor on the track map so you can see both laps running at the same time. This will look a little like a horse race tbh, but at least you can see visually what the differences are.