Getting started with online racing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lars W. Andersen, Feb 18, 2022.

1. Lars W. Andersen

Lars W. Andersen Registered

Hey everyone .... I usually pass for a grownup with having tons of grownup stuff to do, so very little time for racing on a schedule. Thus far my racing have mostly been playing with car setups and doing hotlaps on different tracks. Enter a race and someone yells DAAAAAAAAAD louder than one of the old F1 V10s or Group C cars from the 80s ... and a pause button is necessary o_O

But ... those competition system short races sound fun and I wanna have a go. Wanted to try now, but now isnt working so I spend my time asking questions here instead...

So first ... Is there online chatter? Do I need to have a mike setup and be ready for comms? And tell Jim or my spotter Micha to shut up for a minute?

Are setups free in the rookie league? Not that there are too many things to tune on the Alpine ... And what about the other non rookie leagues? Are setup free there as well?

What about damage? I hope its not turned off ... thats inviting a wreckfest I bet?

Anything else I need to know, before I jump in?

And now ... kids to bed EARLY so dad can have some fun ... :D

cheers
    Lars

2. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Hey Lars!

Great to hear you are looking to get yourself online - awesome news.

I'll try and answer a few of your questions now, but I'm sure vastly more experienced people will add their comments as time progresses:

Is there online chatter? Do I need to have a mike setup and be ready for comms? And tell Jim or my spotter Micha to shut up for a minute?
    In the Competition System, voice chat is not required, so you are all good :)

Are setups free in the rookie league? Not that there are too many things to tune on the Alpine ... And what about the other non rookie leagues? Are setup free there as well?
    We have a fantastic community started setup sharing thread where you can find some great solutions to various cars, including the Alpine - link - https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/setup-sharing-for-everyone-free.68226/

What about damage? I hope its not turned off ... thats inviting a wreckfest I bet?
    Damage is indeed on, and to be fair for the most part the racing is very clean and respectful.

Anything else I need to know, before I jump in?
    Have fun!

Cheers

3. Lars W. Andersen

Lars W. Andersen Registered

Thanks Paul! :)