Getting started with a new track, few questions.

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Sam Moss, Jan 16, 2012.

1. ethone

ethone Registered

I would put the two xsectors in the red spots to make sure nobody's cutting out Hammerhead. For the garage/pit spots, you should always include them. Put them on the runway around the area I marked in black. If you want to use those garage spots as starting points for time trial laps (so that the timed lap immediately starts once you cross the s/f line), experiment a bit on how far away from the actual track they need to be so that speeds roughly equal those when coming through Gambon on a regular lap. If you use several garage spots (it should fit 4-5 easily, perhaps more) in parallel you can make it work fine for multiplayer too. You might want to place collidable barriers - visible or not - behind the garage spots though so nobody can use that area to further build up speed and cross the line much faster than anyone taking Gambon on a regular lap ever could manage. You'd be surprised what hotlappers can come up with. ;)
    Pit spots - just put them in the same position as the grid spots, their placement is unimportant in non-race situations but they should be in the AIW just in case (and I'm not sure, rF2 might actually crash on you if there are no valid pit spots for existing garage spots, or it defaults to 0/0/0 which might be right on the track.

Edit: Forgot starting spots - place them like the pit spots in the same area as your garage spots. If you're never going to run races at the track their placement is unimportant, but add them. And who knows, maybe small groups of people would love to race the track despite the crossover. ;)
    View attachment 1361

2. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Thank you. That's a very smart option.

At this time we're pointing at a basic AIW to simple testing the circuit/quality check - in AI mode (we are working on models/textures)....without drive around the track, but your solution could be a nice way to get the final job.

Thanks again.

3. Tuttle

Uh! Another fast question (sorry but there are a lot of new features that I probably don't know);

Is there a way to have a preloaded groove around the track? I mean...with rF1 we can program the groove visibility inside the AIW...but I don't know if this option is still available...and/or there is a new option to get a groove line from the start of the session...without waiting several car laps...

This track (dunsfold) it's really dirt and we would like to see the groove from the start, above the tarmac...

4. ethone

ethone Registered

Not yet but Luc has said that being able to load a groove from a previous session will be looked at for future updates.

What do you mean by "it's really dirt"? If you want to add dirty tarmac either put it into your base texture or use the way tire marks for given corners were added in rF1: Put a flat object above the track and use an alpha blending material to add a layer of dirt.

5. Tuttle

Of course we are working with panels with alpha blending for every decal and FX above the track...but the groove line it's now dynamic so...we looking forward for a future update for this feature.

Thank you again.

6. Tuttle

I've a strange issue with the distance terrain on my WIP.

I'm using a GIS/DEM elevation model with 8Km2 of terrain;

View attachment 1400

...the problem is that I'm encountering a lot of clipping on far elevations profiles. I've tried forcing LOD distance without results. Same stuff on Devmode and on Game...with any cam.

Any idea?

Tnx

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2012
  7. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Try cut the terrain part in smaller pieces. If its not already... The maximum distance for element to be visible in rF2 seems to be around 70km's (I tested this once).

8. Tuttle

Thanks Johannes...but the DEM is around 8Km square...BTW, I will try to cut the mesh.

9. Johannes Rojola

Yes I just wanted to point out that the distance should not be problem in this case cause you are well under 70km.

10. Tuttle

Just cutted the mesh but nothing changes. Clipping on elevations...Strange issue. :/

11. Johannes Rojola

Then try split the terrain to different objects altogether. Also, clipping is different depending on the camera in use.

12. freew67

freew67 Registered

In the mainview part of the scn file, try adjusting the clipplanes from 1000 (if thats what it is) to 1500 and see what happens.

View=mainview
    {
    Clear=False
    Color=(0, 0, 0)
    Size=(1.00, 1.00) Center=(0.5, 0.5)
    FOV=(77.75, 62.50)
    ClipPlanes=(0.50, 1000.00)
    View=rearview
    {
    Clear=False
    Color=(0, 0, 0)
    Size=(0.200, 0.100) Center=(0.50, 0.01)
    FOV=(62.5, 62.5)
    ClipPlanes=(0.50, 150.00)
    }

13. Tuttle

Hmmm....I don't think this works. It's a strange "radial" clipping with any cam view and it's not correlated to the linear distance...but with the angle of view. If I look 360° around, with the car stopped, I see far elevation profiles disappearing/appearing.

14. Tuttle

UH!!! Completely forgot to get a look at the SCN ClipPlanes!!! ..Great!

Works perfect with;

View=mainview
    {
    Clear=False
    Color=(0, 0, 0)
    Size=(1.00, 1.00) Center=(0.5, 0.5)
    FOV=(55.0, 44.0)
    ClipPlanes=(0.50, 4000.00)
    View=rearview
    {
    Clear=False
    Color=(0, 0, 0)
    Size=(0.200, 0.100) Center=(0.50, 0.01)
    FOV=(62.5, 62.5)
    ClipPlanes=(0.50, 150.00)
    }
    }

Thank you! :D

15. ethone

ethone Registered

Freew67 gave you the path to fixing that. :)

For other projects (I don't think this should be an issue with your current track): Be aware though that moving the far clipping plane far away can cost you a lot of performance as far less polys will get culled. Using sensible LODout values will become more important then.

16. Johannes Rojola

Oh lol how could I forgot the SCN edit...

17. Tuttle

For sure, but this track is almost completely flat...so I really need to see some profiles elevation. :)

18. Tuttle

...Hmm...maybe after buildings modeling I could reduce clipping planes just because the treelines/buildings view obstruction.

For now we're are still on decals and road FX, around the track. :)

View attachment 1401

19. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

How to add weight to the movable object? (tires, posts)

I have few objects movable in track and when I hit them they are reacting correctly but they don't have any weight.

20. ethone

ethone Registered

Add a section like this to your .gdb (above the settings paths and below default scoring overrides in mine):

////////////////////////////////// LOOSE OBJECT STUFF /////////
    sign_pbarrier=(75, 45.0, 45.0, 150.5, 2000.0, 120.0, 0.8 )
    //<mass>, <inertia x>, <inertia y>, <inertia z>, <spring>, <damper>, <friction>

sign_ is the prefix of your movable object type, pbarrier is my plastic barriers, my instances are then called sign_pbarrier01 to sign_pbarrier15 or something.

As another reference, here's the section from Spa:
    sign_HayBayle=(70, 25.0, 25.0, 20.0, 7000.0, 420.0, 0.8 )
    sign_KmMarkerA=(20, 7.0, 7.0, 6.5, 2000.0, 120.0, 0.4 )
    sign_TurnMarkerA=(24, 8.5, 8.5, 8.0, 2400.0, 144.0, 0.4 )
    post_reflectorA=(12, 4.0, 4.0, 3.5, 1200.0, 72.0, 0.5 )
    post_FPostB=(10, 3.3, 3.3, 3.0, 1000.0, 60.0, 0.7 )
    sign_FenceB=(20, 7.0, 7.0, 6.5, 2000.0, 120.0, 0.8 )
    //<mass>, <inertia x>, <inertia y>, <inertia z>, <spring>, <damper>, <friction>