Game is getting worse by the update; now unplayable.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navigator, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

This evening, I installed the 101 update, didn't want the full installer because of the HUGE problems setting my mods back the last time......
    I reported more than once that I got stuttering and lower fps by the update. Never got a decent reaction to that, but okay, dev's are busy. So I hoped, there was something done about it anyway.

Now, with this build, I got from 125 fps to 70 fps (!!!!) and the screen runs like it's doing 1 fps; I can't watch it without hurting my eyes.
    Sad thing is; I'm not overreacting, it's true.

Due to a hernia, I can't sit for too long behind the pc, so I can wait it out, not playing anyway really, but it's dramatic that I get the game worse each update and it never got better, never got a good reaction to what I should do and so on from ISI.
    I'm just swimming here and if I get a bit annoyed about that, a nice mod give's me negative points TWICE!
    I mean; ............ is my money not good enough? Am I not a customer? Then be a man and refund, not pissing me off even more by not listening to my problems and meanwhile, take time to deduct points.

I know this is a beta, but I try to give the bugs I encounter......never get solved, never get an answer to ANY......my problems are only getting worse and I don't know if it's the morphine speaking now, but I am really getting bummed out by MY game. Played RF for years and now, this is the last drop; can't take it anymore, I'm really pissed of.

2. Bart S

Bart S Member

Hey dude, I know u contributed to the beta but if nobodies helping you sort out the problems maybe you should just sit tight and wait for gold. I do alot of testing and research to see what works best with settings in nvidia and game each build that is out but dont have much time to be a key contributer to performance and bugs right now.
    When gold is here you will find many peoples suggestions for performance and graphics near to your setup.
    Personally my game feels different daily on the same build but I set myself a target for no less than 45fps for triple screen, if I fall below that I start playing with AA and SS.
    I think alot of problems can occur with internet and router security software etc.Turn off your security and run single player and compare to multiplayer. First place I start when I notice a lack of performance is reset the router.

1 person likes this.
  3. mianiak

mianiak Registered

I think I know these slowdowns you are talking about, I was experiencing them myself. I had a gtx260 and every now and then it would do just like you said, high fps indicated but feels like it is going 1 fps. None of the other testers experienced it, so I just put it down to my ageing video card. Recently I upgraded to a 680 so I will keep alert with this and see if the problem still occurs and get back to you if I can.

I have recently been able to fix this by alt tabbing out and back (since alt tab has been fixed).

1 person likes this.
  4. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I have put bug report that is bit of same issue, if task manager or winamp is open there is lot of this slowdown thing, but them shut off it goes away.

Something to do with how other application redrawing graphics is causing interrupt and rF2 is from some reason waiting for that update to complete until continues.

I had similar with rF1 too after I made mistake and updated nvidia drivers, never should of updated those years old drivers as since then all kind of issues have been happening.

1 person likes this.
  5. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Hi Nav, me too since last update games not running to well, @ monaco and mills i notice it more fps anything from 30-120. I got a new system 3 months back to replace my old not so up to the job system, but now its running like it did on my old system, damn shame.

6. DocJones

DocJones Registered

This may be the reason though. You could try the full installer, keep your current rF2-installation for the moment and install the new build to a different directory. Just add one mod (nothing else, no plr, no ini from previous installation) and give it a try. Stuttering gone? If not it's probably driver/hardware related.

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I have read some of the issues you have been having Nav and I feel your pain on it. Unfortunately your issue is not exactly common or even close to it.

With as few people having the issue that you have, I would have to guess there is something about your hardware/software configuration that is amplifying something in this beta and is causing the issue. I am not saying your system is totally at fault, I am saying that the combined setup of your system plus rF2 beta is the issue.

As a computer tech, I would normally start by double checking settings of anything that might even remotely have issues and temporarily shutting down software not needed to run the game. If the issue persisted I would then start looking at hardware to see if there was an issue there, and finally I would start looking at drivers and OS.

A quick test, or fairly quick anyways if you have a spare hard drive and are familiar with working on computers would be to load a drive with just the basics from windows and the drivers needed to run the game. You would keep your current drive disconnected so that nothing would be lost in the test. If rF2 ran better doing this, then the obvious is that it was something in the software installed on your system.

Basic troubleshooting method is divide and conquer.

8. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys, thanks for your reactions and advise. As soon as I can sit behind the pc for a bit longer, I try all of that.

Maybe yesterday, I was a bit harsh and I don't want to come up with excuses, but I was really disappointed; didn't play for two weeks, took a lot of morphine and wanted to drive just a few laps; I needed it bad :) You know what I mean I hope ;)
    Thought it would be nice to do that with the update and because of the fact I didn't want to sit for that for a long time, withholding me from actually doing a few laps, I took the update version for the first time.

Then I got this and couldn't drive at all :(
    Saying things about a mod, was true but uncalled for.....that was just pure frustration and I was even a bit sad.

What I meant was that every time there is an update, I don't see any improvement at all and I can live with that, maybe it gets better for other people.......nice then..... but here, it gets even worse every time and this was a record.
    If this goes gold, I probably can't play this at all (as is now) and that was not what I was hoping for.
    I carried out a lot of stuttering and "hooking" problems, but never seen in the release notes things like "fixed the stuttering bug"......... I do see things like "added a button"........
    I really ask myself then if ISI does work on those problems still or if they think all is good and they just have to "add a wiper and make it look nice".

I know I'm one of the few that has this problem and I understand ISI doesn't work for me solely, but there has to be a way out right?
    It frustrates me that it only gets worse; with a new update, I have work for a week to get it running in a way I can look at the screen, it stays worse than I had, but I adapt.......get used to it.......the next one; all over again.......

My system is not the fastest, I know that, but when I got the 90 build, I got it running "okay" and fps were good.....then it should run with the 101 build too, right? Thats my humble opinion and I know it's not that black and white, but....come on, pfffff :)

Sorry to bother you all guys, thanks for the advise; I will try it all out.
    Just a shame I can't do it now, I "messed the game up" and have to wait till I can go sit down for it :(

9. Navigator

Navigator Registered

EDIT; well, I took the time to do the full install, removing ALL other files.......(did it all standing up, pffff) and now.......the mods don't install anymore! Some (most) are even not visible! Same problem I had before.......

Man, does it never end?!!

How good with computers do you have to be for this game to JUST PLAY?!!
    Sorry, frustration all around here; come on!
    This is the same problem I had before and more people have; nothing done to that too while it is a first necessity! Can't judge or try the game if you can't put cars in it.

10. Sentri

Sentri Registered

Go to your rFactor 2 data folder and remove all the files in the Manifests folder but all tracks & cars_10.mft. Now reinstall all the mods making sure to use the rFactor 2 launcher to start mod manager or by installing from inside rFactor 2. This way mods will not get installed into the core folder.

To get rid of the slow downs enable v-sync, software v-sync seems to work best. The slow downs seemed to have be introduced in build 80 and seemed to be tied to a few builds of Nvidia drivers. The latest 304.48 drivers do not seem to have this bug, as well as all drivers 295.X and lower.

11. corsa

corsa Registered

Not sure why you're having problems with the mods, so I can't comment on that, all my mods have kept working from build to build.

But, regarding performance, I actually go into each new build expecting to have slightly *lower* performance than the last for now, because they are not yet focusing on optimization, they are still working on implementing features. And adding more features can slow things down.

For example, turning on a feature that was not yet active in a previous build may require rF2 to perform more calculations as you are driving, slowing things down.

Once all the features are in place, then they can start working on optimization and get things running smoother and faster.

12. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I did run out of space from drive where rf2 is, rfactor lost all my PLR file settings and complained it can't create shaders, so I did emptied shaders folder after getting more space to drive. After that I got more fluent fps and some graphical bugs did disappear.

This did happen with dev mode, now I did remove all shaders from single player side and it seems to be bit smoother, maybe, need to test if task manager affects now less or same, odd if that has anything to do with it, but at least that did change looks a bit, sky is better etc.

13. jtbo

jtbo Registered

That sounds interesting about drivers, but when I go to nvidia driver page it says:
    GEFORCE R300 DRIVER
    Version:
    301.42 WHQL
    Release Date:

These 304.48 drivers are beta ?

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I use 301.42 as I didn't get on with the 304.48 beta (awaiting next WHQL release which should be about due based on previous dates)

2x GTX580's 3gb versions

Have read that some nvidia users are finding this beta actually better though, guess it depends on your pc configuration etc

15. Sentri

Sentri Registered

Yes, latest beta drivers.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Click on legacy/beta drivers.

16. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Driver 304.48 beta seems to be great improvement, got much better low end fps. Some tearing but was fixed using video option for vsync.

17. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Well guys, spend way more time on it than I really should and I will be sorry tomorrow.......but I started of with reïnstalling and did a full install; start with the first thing........

Now that was not easy: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/7195-Fresh-install-tracks-and-some-mods-already-there

But I got it running and know what? Off COURSE it doesn't run better!! Half the mods gone, still 70 fps and running like 1 fps!

Hopefully you understand that I am pretty sour right now, physically and emotionally and I am really fed up with the game. I am on the edge of quitting it, really; nothing should be THAT much work and that hard.

Does ISI realize that there has been no update where people have given the feedback: "now it runs smooth!"?
    I never read it here, maybe there is a line that says that, but most of the time, guys get more (or less) fps and look to that as if it is all there is.

I do have the latest Nvidia driver and it works okay on B90, so I shouldn't be trying for a week all the former drivers to see if there is one on coincidence that runs okay, right?

Damn, been busy for a whole day, my back and leg hurts like hell and there's NO improvement whatsoever; can't even drive.

Writing about this, I'm getting all worked up, just as today when nothing worked properly and I am just getting furious, I really am.
    This is a beta, okay, but it should be doable to install and play; then get bugs out.
    I know I'm one off the few, maybe the only one and that's okay, but........mannnnn.........

There are bugs with installing and with stuttering/not smooth running that are known, but haven't been attended to; I say; work on that instead of giving shine to a button in the menu!

Getting negative points twice from a mod and being put on his ignore list, doesn't help my feelings........Every customer is ONE and you don't kick a customer out for coming back because the milk is sour, fine him and be awfully rude!
    (Sorry, just had to say that, was in the past and I know another mod has promised to help here, but it IS a lot of frustration, a LOT)

18. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I can tell that official driver is faulty, something in it has something wrong with it, but this beta I got has no such issue, it is quite small thing to test and it fixed many of annoying things for me, maybe they learned how to make better drivers again.

It can be really annoying for sure, but hang in there, if even driver does not help, give it week of rest, that has helped for me many times as when I have returned to problem it has been easy to solve, which is bit odd.

19. Navigator

Navigator Registered

You are right, thanks.
    But you know how it is right; you have a problem, and then you just DO want to take it on :)

Reïnstalling the driver now........ (and probably getting an overdoses of morphine, lol!)

20. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I feel for you Navigator, but unfortunately, when dealing with computers, some times things don't work as intended. If I were near you I would spend a bit of time on your system and help get it running the sim properly, but alas I am not.

I am saying I am not btw because of your sig as I am from the US and everyone I know can speak English they just can't speak anything else, :)

BTW, your doing pretty darn good on your English, so I don't think you need that sig anymore.