SOLVED Game Crashes instantly on Steam

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Bilungo14, Mar 11, 2022.

1. Bilungo14

Bilungo14 Registered

Hi, I recently bought the game and really want to play it but it has been very weird with me. When I first started the game, the game launched on the wrong monitor (all my other games launch on the same monitor except this, even though the graphic config says it's on the correct monitor). Then when it opened, it was in a extremely low resolution, which made everything impossible to read. I then tried to restart it, same thing happens. I then redownloaded the game and now as soon as the rF2 logo shows up it closes in under 1-2 seconds. I followed multiple tutorials on YouTube and none worked, I read some posts here didn't help either. I also do not get an error message so I have no clue what is wrong.

I have a 10th gen intel i7 CPU and a gtx 1660ti gpu. Most sims run at 100ish fps with medium settings so I don't think hardware is the issue.

I am very excited to play this sim so any help is greatly appreciated.

edit: When I set the game to launch on my "worse" monitor it launches fine which is weird. I also checked nvidia's setting to see my monitors, but it only detects my external display and not my better laptops screen, which is also weird. I found out that if I unplug the display the game launches on my main screen, but I don't want to have a huge black screen next to my face when I play and also reaching the cables under the desk it pretty annoying just to open a game.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
  2. trichens

trichens Registered

A little confused as to your actual PC and monitor setup.
    You have a laptop with an external monitor?

With both displays available rF2 starts on which?
    Your "edit" implies that your laptop display is "better" than the external display... is that true? And in what way better?

How is Windows configured to use the monitors? Two separate displays or as duplicates?

3. redapg

redapg Registered

@Bilungo14 Do you run the rFactor 2 Graphics Settings, before you start the Game?
    There you should select the correct Graphics Card and you also can select the Monitor that shall be used (at least i guess, that the Dropdown "Monitor" can be used for that. I only have 1 Monitor connected, so there is only that available).
    Maybe that helps to solve the Problem.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think since some years ago the monitor selection hasn't worked. Instead I think the windows primary screen needs to be used.

5. Bilungo14

Bilungo14 Registered

Yeah It's what I used. When I set the game to launch on my main monitor it doesn't launch and crashes instantly. When I launch it on the monitor #2 it starts but when I go change it in the game's settings it crashes. When only my main monitor is activated and I unplug the other it works but it's pretty inconvenient to reach for all my cables and weird to have a huge black screen, so ill still look for a possible solution.

6. Bilungo14

Bilungo14 Registered

I think it works, it's just when I launch the game on my main monitor it just doesn't work at all

7. redapg

redapg Registered

@Bilungo14 Like @trichens, i'm a bit confused about your whole Configuration too now.
    Especially because you can only see 1 Monitor in the NVidia Settings, as you say.
    I have to say that i don't use Laptops, but i remember People saying that they had a "low Level" Graphics Adapter integrated into the Motherboard and also a better Graphics Card in a MB PCIe Slot.
    Do you maybe have such a Configuration and it is not "set up" properly?

8. Bilungo14

Bilungo14 Registered

Yes I have a few options for what graphic card to use but I always choose the GTX1660ti because only basic apps run on the other.
    I have taken a few screenshots to see if it helps clarify somethings as I am really confused as to what is going wrong.

Also I just noticed that on the rF2 settings it says windows 8 build, but I am not on windows 8, so maybe this? Idk
    upload_2022-3-13_11-48-20.png
    My rF2 settings

upload_2022-3-13_11-48-57.png
    What nvidia shows

upload_2022-3-13_11-57-25.png
    What windows settings show

9. redapg

redapg Registered

@Bilungo14 You can ignore that Windows 8 is shown there, it's just another Thing that has to be fixed one Day.
    And you also have to select your correct Graphics Card in these Settings, everytime you start rFactor 2, after the Laptop/PC was switched off.
    And i fear i can not be of Help in this Case, because i don't use Laptops and also because it's hard to judge in such Cases anyway, when you have no Access to the Machine where the Problem exists.
    Maybe @Lazza or another User has an Idea.

Bilungo14 likes this.
  10. Bilungo14

Bilungo14 Registered

Yeah I select the correct graphic card when in the settings. I understand you can't help much more since it looks like a complex problem. Any idea how to contact the devs? do they have a discord?

11. redapg

redapg Registered

Discord ;) Good Luck!

12. Dirtnz

Dirtnz Registered

Actually sounds like all the .json files in your player folder have corrupted, try opening one or a few of them in notepad if any of them are completely blank then that's the problem and not your graphics settings etc, delete those .json files and let the game rebuild them next time it launch's.

Bilungo14 likes this.
  13. Bilungo14

Bilungo14 Registered

It worked! Thank you so much I can now enjoy the game. The json files were not blank but I thought "why not try I have nothing to lose" and it worked. Very thankful for receiving help from you, @redapg and @Lazza .