FYI: rFactor2 runs extremely well on Windows 8 Release Preview x64

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by buddhatree, Jun 3, 2012.

1. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

If any of you were thinking of trying the new Windows 8 Release Preview, rF2 is running extremely well on it. In fact, it's running better than it did in Win7.

All stuttering is completely gone and I don't need GPU sync anymore. Frame rates are a better and it looks better (placebo?) :p

I have to admit, the last 2 public builds of Win8 were not that great, but this build is so good, I'm pre-ordering it. It's very fast and stable and it has much better memory management.

I ignore the new metro desktop, remove all those dumb apps, and use the traditional desktop exclusively. It's basically a better version of Win7 now imo. Everything I had running on Win7 is running now on Win8 flawlessly and WHQL Win8 Certified Nvidia drivers are coming out next week.

I recommend highly. It's free to download and use until it comes out for retail. I don't see myself going back to Win7.

2. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks, I like the sound of that even as I love hearing "it's free to download" :)
    Can we just take that from the site of microsoft then? Are there (as it is a test version) severe bugs we have to take into account?

Thanks for the message.

Just read your location; you FOUND it! Nice.... :) Shut down CERN, we don't need it anymore!

3. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

It's the Release Candidate version they calling "Release Preview". The final RTM is expected next month, so this build is almost "release ready". You can get it here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/release-preview

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Nice, thank you. (And for finding the missing particle too ;) )

+1

5. Cleverleyson

Cleverleyson Registered

be careful of drivers :O

6. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

All my Win7 drivers are working: Nvidia, Creative, Fanatec (Logitech works also), Intel, etc..

Haven't hit a snag yet (knocks on head) :)

7. whiplash

whiplash Registered

did you eventually have had the tdr-bug in win7 with your system? if so, how does win8?

8. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

No, never had the TDR bug.

9. osella

osella Registered

Interesting!
    Not that it makes me try W8 :)
    But good to know that in few years we can all switch for even more performance.

10. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Well, got an extra HD in my system, downloading it now and can't wait to try it out.
    Keeping my W7 install to be sure of course, but can anyone tell me; do (and how) I have to reactivate the game?
    And it that legal, to have two copy's of RF 2 on your computer?
    What do I have to do/ make sure of?

11. frankwer

frankwer Registered

I had freeze issues with Win8, but it seems it was fixed by installing the latest Intel Chipset driver (Win7).

12. Navigator

Navigator Registered

And another question :)
    Can you just run this for a while or will it stop after a few weeks? (Because then I don't make much work of it :) )

13. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Yes. Intel chipset driver is needed.

Your activation information is stored in folder called .rfactor in appdata/roaming. If you save it and then put it back in it's place after Win8 is installed, you don't have to reactivate. That's how I did it.

But I don't have 2 installs. I'm using Win8 as my main OS so just the one install.

14. osella

osella Registered

Well thats logical after all, why would you do another install just because of OS and duplicate everything..

15. Hiatt66

Hiatt66 Registered

Rf1 does not run at all in Win8 x64

16. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Well, tried it.....same drivers and everything; no improvement whatsoever. No fps, no smoothness......instead; the smoothness (what I was not having in the first place in W7) is less. Sometimes there was a stutter, sending me 1 meter further down the road al of the sudden but that was a few times a lap; now it is every 100 meters.
    Maybe, but that's a long shot, the colors are a bit better.......don't really know, all of the sudden I thought that.
    All is the same, except for stutter (witch becomes to me more by every update anyway, don't know why)

17. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Got GPL running now too! :cool:

18. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Yes it does :)

All it needs is for .Net 3.5 to be installed from "add/remove Windows features". It runs very well.

19. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Buddhatree, did you do something special to your version of W8? Like the .NET thingy you say here above or the apps you put out of commission I believe you said?
    My version just doesn't work better and I want to compare things to your setup. I suppose updating the W8 itself isn't needful yet?
    I installed the drivers from my Asus P5KC main board and the GTX 260; that's all I need isn't it?

20. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Well first of all, I don't use the normal user account that is created when you install.

After install, I enable the hidden built-in Administrator account, log off, then log back in as the Administrator and delete the default account.

This ^ is important: UAC is disabled by default in this account. Also, all the Metro apps that aren't system tools are disabled by default.

Two very big annoyances and resource hogs out of the way right off the bat.

Then I installed the latest official Intel chipset drivers, latest official Nvidia drivers, and latest official Creative drivers. Then I installed .Net 3.5.

And believe it or not, there are some updates in Windows Updates. I would get those too.

The main thing is being the Administrator. I know people will say that's not safe, but just pick a very very good password ;)