Future plans for rF2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Martin Vindis, Feb 26, 2024.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

rF2 will still exist, but will likely, LIKELY, not receive too many more updates. The reason is simply money. There is very little left to gain by spending development resources on a title that is being superseded by another. Did Kunos support AC after they focused on ACC? Has Reiza kept up with AS1 while working with AS2? I am sure they could retrofit rF2 to run the hybrids...but then that is lost $$/€€ from potential LMU sales.
    As long as S397 supports the cost of Steam/servers to keep rF2 awake, then there will be no stoppage of gameplay in MOSTLY this current state. rF2 does LOTS of things LMU cannot, the open sandbox concept is something LMU will never participate in, so there is still a place for rF2, just not further development of rF2.

Havner, Emery, RaceNut and 1 other person like this.
  2. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

ANY new sim that came to market made me stop racing on rF2, even on those times where its development was almost zero.

If MG or S397 think rF2 it's a finished product or dead (which i honestly doubt), i think they should release a final version so that modders can still update their work and we'll be able to use it for a lot more years. I say this because or AC2 (in which i have some hope) is a great new revolutionary sim, or i'll still be racing on rF2 for the years to come...

MikeV710 and Michael Woller like this.
  3. Michael Woller

Michael Woller Registered

Agree, a final version of rf2 with everything updated to 2024 standards would be great to handover to modders. Let`s hope!

oikworld, memoNo1 and Rui Santos like this.
  4. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

In my opinion, Kunos, or Rezia stopped developing their first titles because of rF2. Not only that, they worked on and released their second titles AGAIN because of rF2. By that I mean that, even today rF2 Is a better title then all of the sims out there, thus other sims need to progress to get to that bar that rF2 set In 2013. Now with AC2 In the pipeline and Rennsport there´s yet to be seen If they raise that bar and set a new standard for the racing community.

If, as stated above by others, rF2 were to fix those little Issues that have been dragging In the past, have a solid online game, and bring up rF2 to 2024 standards, cars tracks ect, then rF2 would still be viable to ANY sim fan out there, and still hold It´s own candle when let´s say AC2 were to come out and raise that bar. If that were the case. These past 2-3 years have been quite good for rF2, but were late to the party. I am sure that If rF2 got a full polish and chrome, it would really open up for all those that are just now discovering S397 via LMU. Yes It´s all about money, but LMU Is already branded and can only go so far, just as ACC was/Is. Not only that, I don´t know up until when S397/MSG will have that license. Then what would happen with LMU without a license, would that be the end of both titles?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
    Rui Santos and JEmilio like this.
  5. doug484

doug484 Registered

I bought rF2 two Presidents ago. It isn't going anywhere.

The_Bad_Fasterd likes this.
  6. trichens

trichens Registered

Should be until 2034 according to their financial filings...
    "On March 15, 2019, we formed Le Mans Esports Series Limited as a joint venture between Motorsport Games and ACO..."
    and
    "Through our ownership interest in this joint venture, which was increased to 51% from 45% in January 2021, we secured the rights to be the exclusive video game developer and publisher for the 24 Hours of Le Mans race and the WEC through a separate license agreement. This license expires 10 years beginning from the date of our first release of a WEC or Le Mans race video gaming product with the term automatically renewing for an additional ten-year term unless ACO provides written notice of its intent not to renew."

It should be noted that MSG did not make any payment for these licences. Instead they have agreed a specific level of investment which is to be made through their developing the title. TBH it could probably be argued that MSG has fulfilled their obligation by the acquisition of S397 in 2021

MikeV710 likes this.
  7. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Registered

Yes, the world only revolves around rf2.

8. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Hopefully!

9. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

I didn´t say that, I said they set the bar. You may think differently of course.

Rui Santos likes this.
  10. fischhaltefolie

Sorry, you said dev studios (of one of the most successful sims at that time with user numbers 4 times higher and sim that was intended as an intermediate step for the actual planned project) stopped development and even started development of new simulations because of rf2.
    That seems a bit far-fetched to me.
    I wasn't referring to the quality.

11. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Quantity doesn't mean quality, AC was a great sim but very limited, compared with rF2...

If you're going that way, look at Gran Turismo numbers..

JEmilio likes this.
  12. fischhaltefolie

Do you really think Kunos and Reiza made their business plan because of rf2.
    Nothing of your argumentation even touches my statement.
    This just happens from a very rf2 related point of view.

13. sg333

sg333 Registered

I dont even think rF2 requires 'development'. When I play something like BTCC on the very latest tracks, there's nothing that strikes me as needing updating or developing. All I want is more content - cars, tracks (JCW mini hello???) and I'd gladly open my wallet.

oikworld and Rui Santos like this.
  14. wowbaggr

wowbaggr Registered

RWD BOPing? Multirace Weekend? Grid editing?

'these are few of my favourite things ...'

15. trichens

trichens Registered

Yes please !

pilAUTO likes this.
  16. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Of course they had their own business plans, and with things that didn´t have to do with rF2, but while doing so, they also had In mind the presences of rF2 In the market, and what rF2 was as a sim. It´s a logical thing to do when you have some sort of competition, or want to be better (In any way) then the mentioned competition. Nothing wrong with that.

Rui Santos likes this.
  17. fischhaltefolie

Ok, I think we just have a different perception here.
    All fine.

MikeV710 likes this.
  18. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

It's obvious that each company pushes work towards what exists at the moment, that's why innovation in each sim is very important for us...

MikeV710 likes this.
  19. sg333

sg333 Registered

Fair on all points; I would consider these content refinements and new features. I think the underlying 'rF2' is fine. The BTCC BMW AI annoys me with the RWD, but I can live with it and doesnt prevent me racing etc :)

wowbaggr likes this.
  20. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered