Frustrated

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sittinhere, Jul 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sittinhere

Sittinhere Registered

I want to like this game just as much as I like automobilista but I have a problem that I am unable to get past. First let's get this out of the way, I play on a Xbox one controller (for now) plan is to get a g27/seat in October. In the meantime I would like to play the game. Having a hard time finding settings that will get the car to turn. Sometimes it turns but seems like the car is on ice and will just slide to however the corner is going. Is there any fixes in the json file, controller sets, changing the wheel range? Also is there away to get the ai to stop stuttering. Dx11 has to many problems for me so went back to dx9. Usually just have 10 ai with 6 visible. Automobilista I can run on max with 24 ai and 24 visible with no problems. I have also done the crtl c and the purple/green are halfway up. Please help

Specs
    I7 4790k
    GtX 970
    12gb ram

2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Hi and welcome!
    Please tell us what monitor setup and resolution you run.
    As far as I know purple and green bars are ok (or should green GFX-bar be maxed out?)
    How much FPS do you get? (in DX9)
    I say it another time here, although some people seem to disagree and give other recommendations,
    but my tipps as a long time controller-user (joystick in this case) with experience and knowing of joypad-users are:
    - use right joystick for steering
    - useig left stick for throttle/brake. (note: for some the other way around works better.) Don´t use the shoulder triggers!
    - set your steering sensitivity to 0%
    - set sensitivity of throttle/brake to your liking (best bet are about 20-30%)
    - when you´ve loaded a track, check in garage/general the steering lock! Decrease to about 50-70% of value.
    - use a low powered car (clio, USF2000, Radical, kart) and a easy track (Silverstone international, Mores) to test and learn
    -practice, practice, practice!

Pro-tip: Set exaggerateyaw in player.json at 0.4

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  3. DaREALMastaD

DaREALMastaD Registered

Ah I love the shoulder triggers as gas and brake :). I use the Left joystick for steering and the right joystick as the look directions. I also use the Xbox One controller for testing purposes on a mod I have been developing over time. I think there is a preset controller config for the Xbox controller. You can also mess with the max and mins of the Steering, throttle and brake if that helps. All other recommendations by peterchen are great tips as well. It might just be getting use to rFactor 2 that will need to come, I know compared to other racing games, the controller for me at least has taken patients, slow increments and slight adjustments lol.

4. Sittinhere

Sittinhere Registered

1920x1080 refresh rate set to 60hz. In dx9 I get roughly 40-80fps depending on the track. I will try those settings and see how it goes

5. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

once you get the g27 it will become easier to know if your tires are slipping.
    you feel in forcefeedback if the front tires are below, at, or past slip angle. with controller it's quesswork.
    you could try to raise the tire volume, if it helps? that way you hear when the tires start to slip.
    best of luck and welcome :)

yonder45, peterchen and Adrianstealth like this.
  6. Sittinhere

Sittinhere Registered

I'll see if it helps and if not I'll record s video of it

7. Juan

Juan Registered

Look for this line in the controller files,,,

"Steering effects strength":10000, change it to "Steering effects strength":-10000,

The FPS depend on the graphic card, so...

I hope I have helped.

8. Stefan Kanitz

Stefan Kanitz Registered

The green bar should be maxed out. The purple bar around 20-50%, depends on the track, conditions and cars around you.
    I have the same Specs like you, just 8 GB RAM. Can't complain about DX11. Always around 100 fps with everything on Max. I think there is something wrong. Maybe apps in the background or something like that.

9. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

I used a Ps3 controller until a few days ago that I got a wheel.

What worked for me is this:

- Keep throttle and brake on the triggers, having them on separate axis is really important to drive properly, specially on corner entry.
    - Set steering rate to 100% (will eliminate input lag)
    - Increase speed sensitivity, the actual setting will depend on the car and track, so you have to test what works
    - Reduce steering sensitivity, I think I used around 25%, but again you have to test to see what works for you.
    - Reduce engine noise, increase tire noise, to somewhat compensate for the lack of force feedback.
    - On the car setup reduce steering lock

Start driving with traction and braking help until you get used to it an can do consistent lap times, then start reducing them, you will learn the limits of the car with practice, or at least to the point that having no force feedback allows.

10. Comante

Comante Registered

Your FPS are strangely low for your specs.

Kelju_K likes this.
  11. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Please check if the PCI-E Slot of your motherboard/GPU is running at PCI-E 3.0

12. Boldaussie

Boldaussie Registered

As strange as this may sound, when you try to turn the car into a corner and it is ( like driving on ice ) and it won't turn...check your speed...when I started with rf2, even with a wheel I found it difficult to get a feel for the speed i was travelling and this was the issue....also when in rf2 do alt and tab and ensure you select rf2 before you drive otherwise any other ap you are running can reduce your frame rates dramatically, even the steam screen if you launch from there. Sometimes minimizing an offending aps window is not enough and it will need to be closed when running rf2

Kelju_K likes this.
  13. Sittinhere

Sittinhere Registered

Was able to get the steering fixed but still stutters for the ai

14. Sittinhere

Sittinhere Registered

All that was mentioned has been checked and all is right. Changed the rfactor2.exe priority to high and affinity core 0 uncheck. Changed use thread to true. Lower graphic settings, no luck. Not sure what is going on and only this game.

15. stonec

stonec Registered

The green bar is supposed to be close to 100% most of the time. If it's not, your GPU is underutilized for some reason. You could try to update GPU drivers, but newer drivers generally don't have much DX9 support, DX11 is much more recent and developers are actually working on that build, so your chances of getting it working with DX11 are higher IMO.

16. Sittinhere

Sittinhere Registered

Did a check lastnight on that and the green bar is maxed out. FPS now at 100 consistent but ai still stutters

17. Comante

Comante Registered

To have Vsync on is enough to not have the green bar maxed out, this is not an issue. The problem is stuttering. Maybe your transformer is a bit on the limit? Their output tend to decrease with years, maybe is a bit old.
    What about CPU and GPU temperatures ? If they overheat the clock is throttled down, decreasing performances.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  18. Sittinhere

Sittinhere Registered

Nothing is overheating. GPU maxes at 68 degrees with full load and CPU I believe was 72. Both are watercooled

19. stonec

stonec Registered

Stuttering AI is almost certainly a CPU problem of some kind, either related to a badly made modded car/track, or something in your system not allowing CPU to be used properly. Purple bar in-game is the best indicator for game running out of CPU time.

20. Sittinhere

Sittinhere Registered

Where should the purple bar be? This is the only simracing game or any game that has encounter a problem with. Using the official content when this happens. Is there any config files to alter? There are somethings I will try out later tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.