free up resources and gain FPS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D!2T, Jan 30, 2013.

1. pdodd

pdodd Registered

Hey its nice nyou have an expensive new graphics card, but for the rest of us poor people, this will be very helpful.

2. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

The combination of Disable Desktop Composition and EndItAll may be beneficial for those that don't want a more invasive solution. EndItAll lets you quickly kill unwanted processes then you close it as well.

Since we're talking about "free' performance enhancements... I guess the old rF1 trick of +fullproc and +highprio have no effect in rF2, right? I'm not at my sim PC to test this.

3. D!2T

D!2T Registered

I was referring to the size of the setup files and why gamebooster is so large!?

4. D!2T

D!2T Registered

This works if entered into the CLI in Advanced tab of launcher.

5. osella

osella Registered

An application that is supposed to do very specific/simple thing should be lightweight, if it's not it's more likely it's poorly coded and filled with crap. Of course nobody cares about one MB here or there nowadays but it can be used as indication that if some app is 12x bigger while doing the same thing, it's worse written.

Good example is official ICQ client (not that anybody uses ICQ network anymore) which is giant and only filled with ads and gigatons of CRAP, while unofficial clients like russian QIP takes several times less resources and actually does what it's supposed to (haven't used ICQ myself for good 4 years so the official client may not be so terrible now).

6. osella

osella Registered

rF2 should have the fullproc enabled by default, should always 2 cores so this won't do anything. Highprio should still work afaik.

7. D!2T

D!2T Registered

+1

8. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I never heard of this Disable Desktop Composition... What exactly does it do?
    I have just tried it with rF2 and gone from 41fps at Dunsfold upto 52fps obviously without changing any graphics settings.
    Thanks for the info!
    EDIT: No problem I just googled it and found it disables Aero, I'm not sure if rF2 actually does that automatically??

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Gamebooster takes up like 1 mb of ram , not 20. Maybe the program is a 20 mb download, doesn't mean that's how much memory it uses while running. Plus, even if it did (which it doesn't) most people have thousands of megabytes of ram nowadays (4-8 GB) so 20 is nothing.

What's important is that the program sits idle in the background so it doesn't interfere with anything, slowing other programs, causing CPU spikes, stutters, hard drive activity, etc.

10. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

all these optimization tools are pretty useless, except if you're running windows 7 on x486;)
    http://tweakhunt.blogspot.com/2012/01/software-review-game-booster.html

http://voices.yahoo.com/iobit-razer-game-booster-beta-review-11903776.html
    "Overall, the program does work and will help older machines to handle certain games that they couldn't otherwise play, but only slightly. You won't be able to do a drastic jump with the type of games you play. I can run older games perfectly like Star Wars Jedi Academy and Baldur's Gate II, and with the help of game booster I could also play Mount and Blade. But as said above, it won't help you run games like Crysis because it will just stress your computer to its limits."

It would be nice for once if people promoting these "magical" tools, would post some benchmarks to show how much performance you gain.

If you're not installing any **** on your pc (like 30 different toolbars) and are doing a reasonable maintenance from time to time (disc defrag, registry cleanup etc...) these tools won't help at all.
    They only may help if you're system is really low-end and full of strange software and services.

If you're never doing any manual "maintenance" on your PC, these tools might come in handy but don't expect massif performance gains.

11. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Keep reading past this post, lol.

D!2T, can you quantify how much of a gain you are experiencing by running rf2 with it on and off.

12. Diablo

Diablo Registered

Interesting tool D!2T, I am usually not very fond of performance enchancers of any kind, but I am actually inclined to try this one.

I think you´re missing the point, the others made. In a nutshell So I too would opt for that tiny program, which focuses on its task and nothing else.

And by the way, +fullproc is no longer an option in rFactor2, I just did a search for strings in the rFactor2.exe, it´s gone. But +highprio is still in there and a nifty new one called +SimThreadPrio, which apparently increases the priority of the physics thread.

Edit: If you want a really clean environment, why not create a special account which has "Launch rFactor2.exe" as its login shell? ;)

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I generally too would just stick with downloading a smaller program, but my point was that in this case it makes no difference as a). while running, it's memory footprint, just like alacrity, is tiny (not even a single megabyte) b). It doesn't install any further software, toolbars or any other crap.

I could care less which one ppl use, or if they use one at all, just saying though that the larger program (download size) does not necessarily mean that once running, it consumes more memory, or uses more resources or anything like that.

14. Diablo

Diablo Registered

Yes, I got that, but as a whole it seems overly bloated, for what it is supposed to do. I mean, why a 20 megabyte installation for a program with such a tiny memory footprint. Seems to me, it carries too much baggage.

15. D!2T

D!2T Registered

+1

16. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Nice find! I will test that. Thanks!

17. D!2T

D!2T Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2013
  18. D!2T

D!2T Registered

A 3-5FPS jump isn't much, though the increase varies track to track and also other factors.

19. D!2T

D!2T Registered

20. osella

osella Registered

Cool, even 1fps more counts with rf2.
    Nobody can expect 30% increase with modern sw and os. 3-5 more fps is very good.