free up resources and gain FPS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D!2T, Jan 30, 2013.

1. D!2T

D!2T Registered

This FREE utility is generally very useful as it frees up computer resources and only allows bare minimum to play games etc.

I heard about this utility through Microsoft Flight Sim X and figured if they recommended anything that's third party then it must be ok?
    I definitely gained frames in that and it seems the same with rF2..

*have the rf2 launcher & anything else u need still running such as TS3 as you will not have a desktop once this process is complete though you can still run anything through task manager (ctrl-alt-del)*

TO RUN:
    install, run from desktop..
    click default vista profile
    hit start..
    wait till see notepad appear
    alt-tab to the launcher or ctrl-alt-del to run anything from the task manager (file-run)

TO EXIT:
    close notepad *services and desktop should all restart though if anything is missing everything will be back to normal after a restart*

DESCRIPTION:
    AlacrityPC is a utility designed to help you get the most performance out of your computer when running resource intensive applications, like modern games. It does this by shutting down unnecessary services and programs before starting your application. When you finish your application, those services and programs can be automatically restarted.
    AlacrityPC also provides some additional optimizations, like memory defragmenting, removing your desktop background, shutting down the desktop shell and Vista Sidebar, and forcing background tasks to execute.
    AlacrityPC is the sequel to FSAutoStart. It is written in C# .NET 2.0.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/alacritypc/ (the download button on this page is for 32BIT OS, below is 64BIT)

64 BIT OS : http://sourceforge.net/projects/alacritypc/files/alacritypc_x64_1.0.0.0.zip/download

1.0.0.68 UPDATE : http://sourceforge.net/projects/alacritypc/files/alacritypc_update_1.0.0.68.zip/download

(unzip and place files in the install directory overriding original files to update to 1.0.0.68)

2. D!2T

D!2T Registered

To restore your PC to it's normal state a simple restart is necessary to reload the services and programs shutdown by this utility.

3. Novis

Novis Registered

Sounds like a cool app, might give it a try!

4. t_blkance

t_blkance Registered

Guide for AlacrityPC

Found this guide for Alacrity PC.

http://snomhf.exofire.net/alacrityPC.html

Haven't used this program or guide, but it might be good food for thought.

I'll give this a go when I get home.

Let us know if any of you have used this.

5. Max

Max Registered

lol I am sorry, but this "program" has no place for a modern PC. An old old one, ok, but nothing new. Meh. I remember trying this system optimiser years ago on XP... Trying to play GTA IV on a e6600... and 2 gigs of ram with a GTX680 or some such thing. I laughed then, I laughed now, good times

6. D!2T

D!2T Registered

I am sorry too as this is different to a 'system optimizer' as unlike them it makes no registry changes, therefore nothing is permanently affected. It simply shuts down the services and programs not necessary to running games.

How were you playing GTA IV on a GTX 680 "years ago"? That card is barely a year old (March 2012)

7. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Lol, not a gtx680....currently nvidia's flagship card

8. Max

Max Registered

lol I meant 6800GTX, told you it's been a while.. Relax, I kina knew it when I typed it, but didn't bother to change it, lol.. All good now 6800GTX, then went to a umm 9800GTX? Then I went to a HD6950 . Get confused after a while, but yea. There ya go :)

9. D!2T

D!2T Registered

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the 6800 or 9800 GTX series either.. The GT series yes? Thanks for telling us your GPU history too!
    Anyways we are off topic now due to the trolling.. I guess 'A troll's gonna troll'!

10. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

lol, i know you didn't mean it i just found it funny.

out of interest, how much fps gain did you notice D!2T?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2013
  11. Max

Max Registered

lol it isn't trolling... I am just typing man. I am not all into this trolling thing you are talking about. Since you mentioned not knowing of the GTX's, yes they existed. I had them. I think. You are welcome for my history in video cards, was just explaining the error I made. Go and do some laps buddy

12. D!2T

D!2T Registered

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Just use gamebooster man, simple, quick, and returns everything back on if you want it too at the click of a button or automatically

14. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

I never install these kind of apps that claim "memory defragmenting" or similar claims. Memory management isn't something I trust to a free app vs. the knowledge of the people that made my OS. Memory defragmentation is up there with messing with your Pagefile size... maybe was useful 10 years ago but now, just let the OS do its thing.

That said, you can probably gain most of the claimed benefits by not installing crap of your gaming PC and selecting Disable Desktop Composition on the app's Compatibility tab (the latter alone gets me about 100 fps in rFactor 1, for example).

15. D!2T

D!2T Registered

Gamebooster - 20meg & AlacrityPC - 1.5meg.
    Though I'm not familiar with gamebooster I know which I'd prefer ;)

16. D!2T

D!2T Registered

17. Max

Max Registered

yes, the 6800GT. Thanks :p The name BFG comes to mind with that card...

18. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

+1

Also to answer the question about download size. Game booster actually has a GUI.

I believe that the performance enhancing software out there offers very little and is mostly spy/malware and is just junk.

Do a quick google search for shutting down "services" and you'll be much better off.

Just my $.02,

Bryan

19. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Most people here are going to have 4 GB or more of RAM. I have 16 GB. 20 MB vs. 1.5 MB... it doesn't matter. The days of caring about the size of a executable are long gone. :)

Be more concerned about poor memory management when the application has been running for hours.

20. D!2T

D!2T Registered

Alacrity has a GUI too.

That may be true with other titles however not with this. I've been successfully using this software now for months and am not one to install new software onto my pc without first testing in a 'sandboxed' environment.