FOV/Seat Position Opinions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by miguelskaff, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

2. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

read that thread
    physics may well not change in the game but the human physics element definitely changes.
    this may also explain why a low FOV can feel 'twitchy'.

3. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I guess what I was trying to convey is that the imaginary lines of perspective that converge at the horizon (which is what the "proper" FOV techniques try to get right) don't change with seat position. Then I went on to convey my feelings about my head position in the cockpit, since that was OP's concern. I'll concede that what ISI offer for seat position may be technically correct but I would just like to get a little farther back. Hey, what if I was some weird shaped driver with chimpanzee arms! :D The fact that they allow any seat adjustment at all is really a concession on their part since I doubt an F1 car from any era has a seat slide adjustment like we have in our street cars.

I never wanted any great adjustment beyond what they offer, maybe just another 6 inches. My goal being, as you suggest, to gain 6 more inches of peripheral view for when I guy is coming up along side and also to gain just a little more view of the dash.

Edit: The more I think about it, more rear seat movement really is impossible since the virtual driver is confined by the virtual cockpit just like a real driver is. To go back 6 inches without stretching the car would have the virtual head merging with the engine. Boy that was simple. It just took 4 years for me to figure it out!! And you guys weren't any help!! ;) OK ISI, you're off the hook!

Edit 2... Unless the virtual head movement could stop while the virtual eyeballs kept moving... hmm... let me keep thinking on this.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2014
  4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Does anyone here find the NSX stock, default view (seat position 0,0) ridiculously high? It's unbelievable, lol. It's like your head is 3 feet higher than the steering wheel. I bet if we could somehow find out/calculate the point where the camera is located at 0,0 that it would be like 2 inches from the ceiling when in the NSX, lol.

We need an app with a side, top and front view where we can visually move the camera position (a dot with lines extending out at your chosen FOV) instead of just some random, meaningless seat position number.

5. TechAde

TechAde Registered

But then you wouldn't be able to see anything other than the back of your own head/helmet :)

6. speed1

speed1 Banned

I had similar feelings with the standard setup, but i managed to find a quite realistic seating position and view with my FOV of 23. on the triples.

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

What have you found as a realistic seat height for the NSX (regardless of FOV)? I think I'm using -50 or -70 or something...

EDIT: Then again, there's a bug where your "head movement" setting messes up your seat height even though the seat height number doesn't change, so a seat height of, for eg. -50, will most likely be different for me than it is for you (unless we're using the same head movement setting).

8. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2014
  9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

!!! What track is that? Holy crap I need to drive that track ASAP! Absolutely marvelous! Is that some sort of 70 or 80s racetrack?

10. speed1

speed1 Banned

I have to check the ecact numbers of my setup. I'll let you know once i did. ;)

11. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

@Spinelli...
    I can't remember which track it is off-hand.
    I'm sure I still have it somewhere in the RF locker. I still have 65.9 GB of rfactor downloads.
    If I get some time this week, I'll try to identify it for you.

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I just synced up rFactor 1 with the bockerbiude server for full auto-updates on cars and tracks, so I'm willing to bet that I have that track downloaded now, lol. If only I could find out which one it is amongst my 600+ tracks now, lol.

13. Mikk Quickmikk

Mikk Quickmikk Guest

This is Vitus Parc 2009

Greetings Mikk

14. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Thanks Mikk.
    Enjoy it Spinelli.
    Check out Solitude64 as well...some nice straights and elevation change there as well.
    The car I ran, was DRM's Zakspeed Capri.
    I'd still like to see those guys bring that mod to RF2.

15. speed1

speed1 Banned

My settings are -50 / - 50 wtih 100% head movement in use, but do not wonder if you have no center mirror and only ~40% of the dash, at least in my case and the monitors i use with a FOV of 23.

16. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

This is just pushing me to purchase Oculous Rift :)

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

18. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

19. speed1

speed1 Banned

;)

Did you have a good setup for that plugin. ?

----------------------------------------

And maybe somebody can need a FOV calculator, which i used to see if my feeling based setup is right, and i was only a step away from the calculated result. So it seems the calculator works right in my case.

http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/index.php

20. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Real Head Motion v.1.0.3 has only 4 lines to edit it is simple to use.