FOV Calculator

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taufikp, Mar 29, 2012.

1. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I already turn my head in a natural way in front of my big screen and my FOV of 50 ....

The only limit is that I can only see in the limits of the screen.

To have a realism greater on this aspect, one needs a VR helmet.

You must have a very small screen and a very small FOV.

It is not a good idea to simulate the fact of turning your head uniformly IMO.
    If it is not a fake effect, it decreases the realism but also the immersion. So call it a fake effect or not, all this is only prose.

Louis likes this.
  2. Filip

Filip Registered

This is totally unrealistic if you turn your head and your picture doesn't change so you are having very unrealistic setup.

This is how it looks in real life.
    You can see it looks like lookahead on 100%

3. Filip

Filip Registered

More examples of real life.
    You can see lookahead is 100%

4. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Man, buy a VR headset.

5. Filip

Filip Registered

VR has natural lookahead already built in.
    See here:

Conclusion: playing without lookahead is unrealistic and is acceptable for casual gamers but not for real simmers

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@DrivingFast Check out this racing vid, it also shows all that realistic movement:

I don't see that when I drive. I don't choose to see that when I'm playing a game.

Larry Thomas likes this.
  7. Louis

Louis Registered

what you are not understand about "unrealistic fake effect" is when using single screen and you turn your head to one siide, you had to keep your eye in the monitor to see what your head direction should seeing.
    its a very unnatural movement to me.
    but i shouls not have used the terms right/wrong on this matter because of the particularities of each system and what everyone is doing to feel like was there based on real experiences or assumptions

8. Louis

Louis Registered

To imitate this video in a sim racing game you could use a big 3 screen setup and save your video with a go pro device like.
    I think also theres is two different visions racing and driving (about how much steady your head still when performing one of the tasks). Plus the guy is overacting to show what he is looking bacause when you want to look to some point that is not directly in front of you, your eyes made the movement first, not the head.

9. Louis

Louis Registered

lol, feelings were hurted

10. Filip

Filip Registered

It doesn't matter if it is the head movement or eyes movement. Your view "window" shifts and result is the same in both cases. Of course gopro camera can't track pupils because it is mounted on the head, not on the eyes

11. Filip

Filip Registered

12. Louis

Louis Registered

yes but there is no "world" where to your head shifted so you must keep your eyes on the single screen to see in the center what your head is pointing. Unfortunately dont know how to explain. I hope someone understand what im trying to say and explain better

13. Filip

Filip Registered

There is no point in moving head if playing on single screen unless screen is too big and too close to see it whole at once. In a real world when person turns his head around he/she sees different things because we cannot see 360° at once.

I feel silly writing this obvious stuff. I hope there is a language barrier causing all this

14. Filip

Filip Registered

More obvious stuff: lookahead option sets players view on screen accordingly to match real life drivers view in corners when drivers subconsciously look to apex.

15. Filip

Filip Registered

16. Louis

Louis Registered

well, this last vídeo (cannot hear áudio properly) shows hat i said about eyes moving first then head moving on the same direction and shows why you dont need "look to Apex" or head tracking stuff when you have a triple screen setup. When im in triples, and just look to side to take a turn and move my head if my eyes cant see what i need to see. The cam doesn´t need to change dirrection because there is a side monitor to look what i want.
    Im out of ideas: imagine if nico Hulkenberg was using only one monitor made a head movement to right what will happen to that pink circle lol

17. Filip

Filip Registered

If on triples you see wide enough good for you and you are lucky. All this lookahead thing is most useful for single screen

Emery likes this.
  18. Emery

Emery Registered

Head movements are not eye movements. The eye can stabilize vibrations up to a certain point. I choose to turn off head motion and vibration graphic effects. These sorts of things are best left to motion rigs, but like so much in the simulator world, options are there for people to use or not use according to the gear available and their own sensibilities.

Small single screen, medium single screen, large single screen, triple screens, and VR all have their special constraints & requirements to provide a good simulation experience.

Filip and Larry Thomas like this.
  19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

lol there's a lot going on in that video, I should have been more specific :)

I wasn't talking about 'look ahead' at all. DrivingFast showed a helmet cam from a Porsche at Barcelona, with the view shaking around over bumps and kerbs, after saying that he's talking about 300kph and not 70kph. The video I posted shows driving in a straight line at street speeds, on a moderately bumpy street (middle part of the video) and the camera is tilting and bumping around. Ignore all the bits where he's looking around corners and at his centre console.

So my point was, a head camera will move around a lot over some bumps even in a normal roadcar. But you don't see all that jolting out the windscreen when you're driving - your view is stabilised by your neck and your eyes/brain. If you pay attention to the car you realise it's moving and jolting around you, but your view of the road is unhindered.

Actually the later parts of that video, on the smoother road, are much closer to what I see in a car (on a bumpy road). You can easily keep your eyes on the road/cars ahead, and you can see the car moving around underneath you.

Look ahead / look to apex is another matter entirely.

Larry Thomas likes this.
  20. Filip

Filip Registered

Ok I get your previous post now. Regarding bumps and shakes I agree eyes/neck are stabilizing view.
    But some people (me included) love a bit of shaking. It is probably influenced by all those onboard footages.