FOV Calculator

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taufikp, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Filip

Filip Registered

My mathematically correct FOV is 17. Higher FOVs feel fake now, I can't go back to those distorted proportions where I had to "learn" distances and when close driving near barierrs and other vehicles was a guessing game.
    The problem of seeing around you in slow corners can be greatly reduced with:
    1. Lookahead in game set to 100%
    2. Lookahead angle in player.json set to some higher value from default 0.2 Mine is 0.5 (Warning: there is a bug when entering controller settings in garage resets this value back to 0.2 so only solution is to quit the game, change json value and start again)
    3. Crew chief
    4. Newly introduced stabilize option set to high - because on low FOV bumps can make picture shake too much

All these give me best combination of immersion and raceability.

mesfigas likes this.
  2. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

going to try your settings filip

3. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

:)
    My new FOV is 28 now and i m super exiting
    indeed the good FOV makes you not guessing anymore and know exctly when to turn the steering wheel instead of Fighting the sterring wheel

anyone knows what LookAhead is doing ?
    from 100% to 0% seems nothing changed

i like my new FOV it feels likes its my birthday :)
    haha
    cheers

Filip likes this.
  4. Filip

Filip Registered

When you turn the steering wheel the camera view shifts in that direction. The more steering the greater shift angle so it helps in low speed corners. It is also known as look to apex.
    I don't know why you don't see the difference between 0 and 100. It is noticeable when car is standing still and one is steering the wheel full to either side.

5. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

Thanks Filip i will test more i m sure there is a difference but cant notice yet
    cheers mate

6. Louis

Louis Registered

His "head physics" (i mean in game) should be set in higher values to "look to apex" work. Don't? Im not sure. I hate this effect.

mesfigas likes this.
  7. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

gonna test it again soon with head physics at 100%
    by the way which head physics should i choose Linear or others like Engine etc ?
    i m confused which are more realistic

8. Filip

Filip Registered

I'd say choose an option which suits you best and gives you more comfortable driving.
    Watching through single 2d screen is not realistic in a first place.
    There are posts explaining how are eyes stabilize view in real car and bla bla.
    Personally I love some shaking for immersion but on low FOV it can get unplayable.

9. Filip

Filip Registered

I am not sure too and can't check until September

10. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Only aero (All) at 100% is very good. Avoid engine (for smooth impression).

Deactivate lock to the horizon except if you are a VR user.

mesfigas likes this.
  11. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

@ DrivingFast
    thanks mate

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@mesfigas As Filip said you should be able to see LookAhead even when sitting still in the pits, and turning your wheel side to side. Your view will move relative to the car. You don't need any head physics enabled for it to work (I always turn head physics off, and used LookAhead for a while).

I personally use Stabilize Horizon on High, I'd like to use a High+1 setting because some tracks are still too bumpy, but it's personal preference. Even when I wasn't using low-FOV I didn't like the view shaking around too much.

Ernie, Filip and mesfigas like this.
  13. Louis

Louis Registered

its not "head physics" as Lazza said above. But i remember some kind of second setting must be turned on to make it work. Well... Anyway, @mesfigas , are you using only one screen? I do this question because it only make sense (not to me:D) to use this with a single screen setup

14. Louis

Louis Registered

this is bad for immersion, i think. I know our eyes can stabilize until certain point but nothing like those super f1 cams on tv, so i always messing with this depending on mod.
    Like f1 1988 by carrerra. When you use higher head physics make impossible to drive because under breaking and at beggining of eau rouge you only see the tachometer

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Looking at the g-forces aspect of head physics, with the view pitching forward under braking, back under acceleration, etc, I can see how that conveys the forces you're undergoing and could help with 'feel' by better indicating how the car is moving. I've just always found it nauseating.

The vibrations, again obviously tied to what's happening so not at all unrealistic in a sense, I do find exaggerated compared to what I'd expect to see in real life. I've seen 'fuzziness' with harsh vibrations, but when I'm looking at something that's about as bad as it gets - I don't have trouble keeping my eyes on a distant object, and that's how more vibrations affect me when playing games. If the small and high frequency vibrations that would cause fuzziness are in the game, for me they are overridden by the larger vibrations which stop me continuing to look at distant objects (I also doubt 60fps would enable those small vibrations properly). But I know from even rF1 days that I'm more sensitive to this in games than a lot of other people, I've always tried to 'calm' the cockpit view camera so I can drive without feeling like I'm getting a headache.

Even in my roadcar over medium normal road bumps, the car moves around me while I continue looking in the distance, and that's what I'm aiming for when I drive a sim car. For me head physics doesn't work, but it will vary for different people.

Ernie, Emery and Corti like this.
  16. Louis

Louis Registered

you do have a point on this, i do agree and thats why i dont like the "look to apex" or head tracking softwares* (my head moves to the side but my eyes should stay in same position relatively to the screen) but i know at some situations, like small screens, they are needed for some users. But i dont believe (im maybe not fullying understand your point of view) that you really believe that turn of head phisics and stabilize horizont completly in small, big or triples could represent better in game how you could see at 300km/h in real life at any track. Im not talking about 70km/h
    I even made a point thats is mod dependent (like not able to use head physics in f1 1988 like use in others mods)

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I haven't been in a race car at 300km/h, so I can't say for sure what's realistic. But most of us playing games are in the same boat. So I would purposely avoid stating that one particular setting/aim is realistic and nothing else is correct.

However, over years of watching real racing telecasts I don't think I've heard current or former drivers talking about having trouble keeping their eyes on where they're going (in dry weather, sun glare aside). Thing is, people can play with full head physics (apart from when it's so extreme you literally lose sight of the track, as you've described in some mods) and be fine with it, and I can't. So if they can see where they're going, like real drivers can, and I need to smooth things out to feel I can see where I'm going, like real drivers can, then that's the sort of settings I should aim for myself.

So maybe, for me, there's a disconnect between realistic (wherever that is, exactly) and where I need things to be to feel 'right'. Having never felt it for real. By the way, I only mentioned "head physics off" because I was saying I didn't need to have head physics on in order for look ahead to work. I wasn't saying it's most correct to have head physics off.

18. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

The most unrealistic choice is to disable the head physics.

The most realistic choice would be that S397 strongly improves head physics by also including specificity for VR (because unless you have a powerful dynamic simulator simulating G force, YES these specific head physics should be enabled. Recently implemented functionality is not a realistic solution IMO).

The logical choice knowing that we have the current system is to activate the current headphysics.
    Then you have to know which parameters to use.
    I use Aero All 100% simply : not realistic but the least unrealistic IMO. Look ahead disabled because it's a fake effect and I can afford it with a FOV of 50. With an FOV of 50, it is very rare that the head physics effects are too strong.

On the contrary in the majority of cases it moves much less than in reality :
    1st video found (FOV GT3 on-board cam) ->

19. Filip

Filip Registered

There is no correct or wrong here. Sitting still in a room and watching the picture on a screen shaking is not natural so it is good we can customize things according to personal preference.

Larry Thomas and Louis like this.
  20. Filip

Filip Registered

???????
    Fake effect?
    Are you saying people when driving real cars cannot move their head or eyes into direction of the apex?
    When you drive your car you look straight ahead exclusively all the time? How do you survive crossroads then?
    I have to ask you have you ever driven a car?