FOV Angle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Golanv, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Golanv

Golanv Registered

How do you tilt the FOV angle in rF2. I know up and down, back and forth... but tilt is still avoiding me with its absence.
    And how high you folks usually set the wheel in front of you, from the top of the wheel in relation to your eye lvl?

2. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

poke around the plr file for tilt angle its there

3. Golanv

Golanv Registered

thanks Skeletor

4. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Next time you sit in your car be conscious of where the wheel is in relation to your body position. Try to replicate that in your sim rig. If you ask me it's all about comfort.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The monitor is your eye, it's your vision to the game world. So your eyes are your monitor in a sense. Therefore you should have your eyes at the exact centre point of your screen, height and width wise.

Then for in-game, well most race cars, fia gt, single seaters, dtm, f1, etc etc have the top of the rim just underneath your eye level if you were looking exactly straight. So the top of the rim should be around halfway in-between the one quarter mark and the half way mark of your monitor (height wise obviously), or at the lowest around the 1 quarter mark. You can see that when drivers turn the wheel, and their hand is at the top most part of the rim, that their knuckles are almost directly in their line of sight and almost in their way.

Most ppl don't drive like this in sims because the low seating makes you see less of what's in front of you, you see less of the road, and it makes judging car placement more difficult (judging the exact spot your tyres are on the track is actually an art/skill all on it's own). However, if you really want to go as realistic as possible, that's how it is in real life.

Aside from being more realistic, it feels more immersive as well, as you get more of a feeling of the physical car wrapping around you.

By the way, don't listen to the ppl that set their view really high up and say it's realistic because they sit in real life much lower than the screen, because it doesn't matter where you sit in real life, you will still be looking at your monitor "through the eyes" of a person that is wayyyyyy too high. It's completely wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2013
  6. Golanv

Golanv Registered

This is what I have tried to achieve, the gt race car steering wheel hight. Tomorrow I'll raise my wheel mounting with an inch and should be pretty close to it. I cant lower my screen since the tv leg is not willing to shorten, but I'll get there, my fov and I are wrestling and Im winning... for now. I also thought of getting a wall mount and turn it into a table mount so I can adjust the screen as I want. Thats a project that I take upon myself if I get it figured out how to do it cheaply, all the extra money I have for this hobby is going twards triple screen solution from now on.

7. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

I tried to copy the same relationship: me/g27 to Hamilton/Button and steering wheel of wich i think was 1991 Ayrton Senna's McLaren. They was inside One garage with various cars off many decades. They do a special only with that garage.

8. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I think of things a little differently Spinelli. I look at the monitors as the windows of the vehicle I am in. Obviously this won't work if you are driving an open wheeler, but you get my point. If you setup the monitors to mimic where a real cars windows would be and what you would normally see out of them, then you have the monitors setup right.

I am taller than most race drivers, so my eyes tend to be higher than them. When I look out the windshield of the car I am in, my eyes are typically looking out the top 1/3rd of the windshield. Therefor I place my monitors so that is where I am looking. As to the wheel, yes I do the same in comparing where a real wheel would be and adjusting my sim wheel to be in the same relative position. Due to the sim wheel being a smaller diameter than my real life one, I won't achieve the same view of the wheel as I would in a real car. In my rig, the wheel visually appears lower than in real life, but in actuality, the wheel center is in the same place.

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya gearjammer, I think you are still doing it the right way, as long as the centre point of your middle monitor is the centre point of what you see in real life.

So in real life if you look exactly straight and you see exactly 9 inches below from where your roof ends and windshield starts, then that exact same point should be the centre monitor of your screen.

You can use any point as a measuring reference. The reason why I choose the top of the weel, your knuckles at the top of the wheel when turning 90 degrees etc etc. Is because in race cars, in general, most drivers are usually in that same ballpark of how low they are, and it's always around in that ball park of where I explained with the top of the wheel, your knuckles, etc.

The windows, dash, body panels, etc are much different on every car, so its hard to use them as a constant general reference, but the top of steering wheel thing, and knuckles thing, relative to your vision, is pretty much always around in the same area from race car to race car example, fia gt, dtm, f1, general single seaters etc.

Some cars you do sit slightly higher though, like a general road car, the skippy and such, especially if you're very tall, you would be sticking out pretty high in the skippy. These cars can really differ from person to person depending on their height, seat, etc

Once you have the centre of your monitor showing exactly what you would see in the centre of your vision when looking straight forward in real life (horizontally and vertically obviously), then your real life vision and your monitor vision will be perfectly matched. Then from there on it's up to you to adjust your seat, desk, wheel, etc in real life to match that, which may be difficult depending on your furniture, your space, etc, but the game/monitor is now matched to what u would be seeing if you were to sit in the real car, so you won't want to move that, but rather move your real life seat, monitor, wheel, desk, etc to get as close as you can to that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2013
  10. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I guess it means I gain an advantage in visibility, but lose that advantage in wind drag on my helmet when I race open wheelers, ;)

11. MrPix

MrPix Registered

I have now adjusted my eye-level to midway on the screens and use the following setting to change the FOV tilt angle so the Horizon is just below that..... in player.plr file, under [Graphics Options]

Seat Pitch="4.00000" // Cockpit camera pitch orientation (degrees)

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Beautiful, I was going to say the seat height alone cannot make it perfect, you need to change the angle of the view so it is looking more forward because the default settings has your vision pointed too downwards. I have noticed this in just about all sims.

Thanks for that MrPix.

Have any of you guys tried raceroom racing experience? The new build that came out today has the Aquila car default at just about the absolute perfect height. One of the most perfect I have seen from any sim's default height (not talking about horizon angle, just specifically the in-game adjustable seat height).

13. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

i tryied. Seems ok but i thinking in concentrating in one sim. Even user interfaces changes annoy me and i like to customize a lot one game to keep jumping for one sim to another.
    I even stop to download the thousands tracks people keep releasing for rf2 because i only drive few tracks and having this amount of tracks installed only confuses me and i didn't learning well to drive any of then.
    Exception to this rule only probably occurs when feels release interlagos and someone release modern spa.

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya I was just referring to the default un-touched view of the Aquila with regards to the view/seat height, that's all ;)

15. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Ok i'm just spreading my sim racer philosophy to the crowd. :)

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

No problem :). Are you fast, but a little wild, like your name implies? Lol :)

17. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

No. Just wannabe type. :)

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned