Formula ISI's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blakboks, May 28, 2012.

1. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Nah you're right, I had re-worded half my sentence and it doesn't make sense.

Even if you put your foot to the floor it would not be a vertical line since it takes time (albeit a short amount!) for the physical action. Those throttle traces I believe show close to full depressing to ~60% pedal position.

Best thing to do is get a FISI throttle trace for a competitive lap of Monaco and do a comparison.

2. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

What speed are you gearing 1st gear for...100kph/125/150??

3. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

I'd wager that fully stomping on the gas wouldn't be significantly slower than fully getting off of it, like they do when braking. Compared to them getting off the throttle they're much slower and progressive when getting back on the throttle. Still, stomping to 60% isn't hard to do even now in the FISI, depending on the corner obviously.

4. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

I imagine even though traction control is banned, like people have already said I bet the engine is mapped to such a degree to make the car highly stable under acceleration, in comparison to say, a traction control era F1 car. It's totally fascinating stuff from a car geek perspective, personally I've always fed the throttle pedal in as smoothly and gently as possible without TC and if anything, slammed it to the ground when I've got beyond a certain speed threshold. Of course I'm refering to my driving technique for the 'slicks & wings' cars, which obviously become more stable when the downforce kicks in.

I watched a fascinating vid from the simraceway team from Dario Franchitti on degressive braking in a car which produces downforce, very cool and interesting stuff!!

5. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Whatever the default setup is. I don't have it in front of me atm to check the actual numbers (besides, I use mph :D).

6. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

60mph is default I think....
    In GTR evo, you had some set ups with the F1 2007 mod ranging from 150kph-170ish...{100mph=160kph}

7. fastfezzer

fastfezzer Registered

How do you fast forward time in a practice session?

8. Cangrejo

Cangrejo Registered

What brake pressure and distribution normally you bear with this mod?

9. royleeiv

royleeiv Registered

They don't have TC? But there's a TC Override on the steering wheel.

10. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Looking at the engine files for the current FISI, the old Formula IS from rF1, and the FBMW 06, the current one has lower torque most of the way, getting up to speed with the other only after 15k revs or so. After that it's very similar. So the engine's powerband is found at higher revs than before, and has less power at low revs, which should make accelerating a bit easier in theory.

11. blakboks

blakboks Registered

I don't know if it's the new engine model update or what--but these FISI's feel SO much better in the new build--even on a completely green track. The torque doesn't feel like it comes on in so much of a rush, anymore. The throttle/rpm/torque relationship feels much more direct, linear, and predictable now.

12. Legion78

Legion78 Registered

I struggled massively with FISI at first 60/40 brakes helped as did reducing throttle & brake sensitivity. letting the track & tyres evolve is crucial, but if anything since update 101 I think the cars are much more forgiving and within reason you can really push and be a bit reckless where in the older versions you would definately be spinning! i love this mod and all you can do is keep going round until you adjust to the physics - once you do it really feels right. I too rarley push the brake pedal all the way down and sort of hold it at 50%/60% which feels effective - I totally agree about the lack of stiffness in the brake pedal, if I was lucky enough to own a G25/G27 I think I'd try the modding the pedals with s a stiffer spring (available on e-bay) but you can hardly blame the game for this.
    Quick question of my own - Time acceleration doesn't seem to work for me? I've mapped it to different buttons but it has never worked? Am i missing something as I'd really like to send out the AI to prepare the track for me....
    keep keepin on :)

13. JGraf

JGraf Registered

combination of keys.
    ctrl+X = "default key assignment"

14. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Is the 1st and 2nd gear power spike less aggressive with b101...?

15. jtbo

jtbo Registered

In another discussion I was bit questionmark faced when people complain about how F1 car is snap spinning one, where as I could rather well control it even at slow corners, maybe that would explain as I have not driven it much at all before 101 version.

What comes to brakes, it is bit sad reality that our pedals are not quite good in replicating true brake pedal, but I have used brake pressure as a solution for that, something 80-90% seem to work most of the time rather well. There is lot of science behind brakes and problem lies mostly within our plastic pedals with those.

At monaco I believe I had brake pressure set to 83% or near there, brake balance around 4 clicks toward front, rear arb I took 50% off, brake duct 1, engine brake map increased by two clicks this is very important when adjusting brakes, if brake map is not adjusted you end up with too much front biased brakes and stopping distance is not so good, but then again it depends from track too, with some tracks you can avoid jumping to brakes using higher engine braking (lower engine braking map), but it makes issues with braking quite often.

Also brake duct and brakes in general, make sure rear brakes are not getting warmer than front brakes as that tends to skew brake bias towards rear, this is easily seen with F1 car as brakes need to be hot to work well.

I like to move car's weight distribution max to front in attempt of increasing stability, more front end weight should make car more stable, but as weight bias is more rear no matter what, it might also work against me, however that is probably hardly noticeable effect.

My general idea of setting brakes is that I should not be afraid to brake, setting them so that I can jump hard on brakes allows me to focus more on my line than brake pedal, that way I can be faster as I know I will not spin out when applying brakes.

I don't understand wings in cars, it goes above my understanding, so I think those I left default.

For some reason I never save my setups, I would of uploaded my setup if I would still have it.

I don't understand power spike that is talked here, I understand that engine torque overcomes tires ability to grip at low gears if full throttle is used while tires still need to corner too, well at 1st gear and partly at 2nd gear car does have wheelspin if floored and there is appropriate amount of rpm, so my rpm are bouncing against rpm limiter quite a bit at 1st and 2nd, what those datalogs show to me is that real drivers don't seem to use 100% when at lowest gear.

F1 car fully warmed up and track in good condition is much easier to drive hard than Formula Renault car, imo.

16. Fergy

Fergy Registered

Happy to run some training session for those interested in an ARI Server. Requirements would be MoTec installed, Teamspeak 3 installed. Not for advanced drivers but to intermediate level. Getting on track and understanding everything can be a big step forward.

PM me if your interested.

17. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Sounds like it is time for you to start learning about down force then jtbo :) Suffice it to say that down force is how you get your car balanced on cars with wings. You start off by getting suspension working properly, then you start working with your wings to get your car balanced. Too little front down force and you push, too little rear and you over steer. Too much on front and rear and you go slow on longer tracks, but not enough and you take corners slow.

I am not that knowledgeable with down force myself, but learning it is pretty much like learning to be an aircraft engineer. :)

18. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I am not sure what you are saying, Are you offering to instruct on building setups and learning proper techniques for driving?

19. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Downforce for setups is still quite easy to figure out, even effect that ride height and angle of car (front lower than rear) has is easy, but when you need to create aero parameters for car when making mod, man, that is one huge mountain :eek:

For track like Monaco, I would set rear wing to maximum and front wing so that car will not try to spin at tunnel when changing line for overtaking, as that is what it does with default settings.

But I don't really need to set aero much as I don't really race open wheelers, however I feel that I need to have basic skills of driving and setup such to be able to talk from them, without understanding it is so nonconstructive to lay down opinions from them, so I spent two days learning how to drive them and how to setup them, I don't know all still, but I can make car do what I like, then it is just problem with my hands, they seem not to be in sync with my legs and brain ;D

I have 1:12.463 at Monaco for ISI F1, I'm quite happy to that time, sure setup I had in use would of given faster times, but I was not brave enough to get all it had + issue with hands not doing right things. Some have driven 1:09 there, I might be able to go 1:10, but not very often.
    http://rf2.gplrank.info/laptimes/199/

I think that Motec has some bug as it shows there around 2s faster laps, imo. At least it shows 1:10 lap for me being best and I'm quite skeptical about that.

One problem with wing car is that one need to set springs for downforce too, some cars have 3rd spring for that, but still setting springs for aero car is complicated, for low speed it can be too stiff and for high speed too soft, so that it bottoms out, that is perhaps most challenging part of setting up such vehicle.

20. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Well, from my understanding, you don't have much choice but to set springs to handle the maximum pressure you are going to generate from down force. Once that is achieved, you will most likely have a very stiff ride on the slow parts of the track. That is the nature of a winged car. The trick is to setup the car to handle properly with the stiff suspension.

Obviously your suspension travel at slow speeds is going to be severely limited, but you still need to pay close attention to travel and velocity of the components. Softening the dampers may help a little, but you still want stability for the high speed stuff. Basic rule of thumb I use is setup the car to handle correctly with as low a down force as you can put to it, then start working on down force and adjusting springs to keep the car in balance. Might not be the correct way, but I do ok with that :)