Fixing true billboard sponsor images around the track

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by SmokinJo65, Feb 1, 2012.

1. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

I'm lost and don't know if it's as simple as resizing the image on the billboard but it looks fine in MAX but in-game looks like a$$ and is totally off. I want to replace some of the sponsors and that shouldn't be an issue but if they give me the same problems I'd like to know the work around to fix this issue. You think if it shows up in the MAX file great it would look this way in the game, good lord how games work..

View attachment 971 View attachment 972

2. Devin

Devin Member Staff Member

did you forget to add MIP maps to the dds?

3. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

Well this is a converted track from RF1 I found that was a Race07 track because I just love it so I wanted to do it and I doubt anyone else would and I plan on replacing a bunch of stuff. I gave the folder that goes into the ModDev/Locations folder inside of Documents/rFactor2 to a couple other people and they say that the billboards look fine to them. I also heard that it could be a folder structure thing for me, not sure how that can be though as everything is pointing to this folder in the scn file, the other folder I have on my external G: drive is where the MAX file is with all the other maps and GMT's and is my working folder but it is called ModDev/Locations but I am not sure why that would make a difference. These sponsor billboards only show a Mipmap 1/1 when I open it with my dds viewer so obviously it does not have any billboards and even if I put 5 billboards in I am not sure that is going to fix anything for me.

I think I will have to watch that video that mentions working folder structures and follow that but then I'll probably have to redo all my textures again to point to that folder. Maybe things will be better then I don't know. All these things are just baby steps in learning stuff, I have never done anything like this before and only drove tracks on rF1 before and even working with Max is new but I am getting us to it plus I am building my own real track as well that is based in Minnesota here as well so all these things I do will help in that process, if I screw anything up I hope it is a converted track not my own..lol

This is what it shows in the .scn file for pointing to folders.

SearchPath=.
    SearchPath=Zolder12
    SearchPath=Zolder12\Zolder_GP
    SearchPath=Zolder12\ASSETS\GMT
    SearchPath=Zolder12\ASSETS\MAPS

Like I said I am not sure why it would be a folder structure problem but I can check into this.

4. ethone

ethone Registered

Looks weird. And I still struggle with your different terminology. :)

If you had a folder issue it would crash while loading or it loads the wrong (older version?) textures.
    If you don't have any mipmap stages in your dds file, load it up in Photoshop with the DDS plugin, resave and check the "Generate MIP Maps" before clicking Save in the Tools dialog.

5. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

Terminology?

Hey I'm German to so it should be no problem, Ich Despair... :p

Although I had to look that info up. :D