FIA sanctioning virtual Polyphony tracks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hexagramme, Jun 25, 2014.

1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

2. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Licensing level: B$... but I guess it's worth it in marketing.

3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Although Polyphony don't seem to have a clue about racing, they sure do attract a lot of attention.

4. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Sorry?

5. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I forgive you, my child. ;)

Yeah I'll just spell it out for you then (imo of course):

-Shallow arcadish physics
    -Numb, boring ffb
    -Absurd emphasis on boring Japanese cars
    -Some of the worst AI seen in a modern racing game (they brake when you're about to overtake them for God's sake!)

6. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

And even then some good drivers have been produced (GT Academy). Only if ISI made rF Academy, we would get great drivers :p

But about PD, I really thought their tracks were rubbish, but now it gets labelled (correct spelling???) by the FIA, and all of the sudden I think their tracks are great. ISI really should try to get their hopeless tracks such a label so that I can finally enjoy them (SARCASM MODE OFF)

Don't get me wrong, I like both rF (for me it feels as real(-istic) as I have ever experienced in an simulation), and GT (just jump in and drive, hardly any time wasted on fiddling with setups/settings, so perfect for a quick drive), but I really don't get why virtual tracks would need a FIA approval, except for marketing value.
    (PS: according to my brother this is the first time the FIA rated a virtual track high enough, how would iRacers feel, having spend way to much money on them :p it means that either this licencing thing is nonsense (very likely), or iRacing tracks aren't as good as they claim (really funny thought for me :D )

7. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Very good points mate.

I actually took GT Academy quite seriously up until last summer. I was aiming to be among the 5-10 fastest drivers in Denmark, which was going quite well.
    But suddenly I realised how ridiculous the whole concept actually is...

Watching the fastest lap time replays, and the things those aliens do to the poor cars... Power sliding in unrealistic manner through corners, utterly killing tires etc.
    I just had to laugh in the end. It was just so absurd and extremely boring.

Thankfully I was able to quickly make the shift to rFactor 2 and other sims. I never looked back.
    When GT6 came out last year I made the mistake of buying it. The nostalgic value lured me in.
    It was complete and utter rubbish, so boring and shallow as can be.

The fact that the FIA is now going to "sanction" GT's tracks is just sad.
    Even more people will mistakenly think that GT actually is a real racing sim.

8. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Well, I think that PD has done a remarkable work with GT5 and GT6. With the PS3 that has less power than an 2006 old PC they have produced a very good product!
    Yes, you are right about GT5 and GT6 not being at the sane level of rf2 or AC physics, but the PS3 can't handle the amount of engine like ISI and Kunos physics engine.
    Look what they have done with this 9 year old hardware:
    1- a good but simple physics and I have red that GT6 physics is a good and has been upgraded over GT5 and even ISR has given a very good vote for GT6 physics and ffb! i repeat again, it is far from being at the same level of rf2, but you have to consider that GT is a console racing game that is running in a old hardware with a very limited calculation power.
    2-GT5 and GT6 has way better graphic than rf2, tracks, cars, cockpits...are all next generation graphic!

3-they have implemented a very good day/night progression with a very good dynamic illumination.
    4- a very good changeable weather.

And a lot of others features and all this with an 9 years old hardware so I can't immagine what are they going to do with the upcoming GT7 on the PS4.
    Even fms5 with a much powerful hardware doesn't have all these features.

9. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Simple yes. Good- eeh, no! It´s an on/off thingy: You slide or you don´t slide. Just like in old NFS-games.

LOOOOLL!! Please take two monitors, one with rF2 maxed at 1440P and besides this silly 720P GT5!
    What will you see? Blocky, crappy visualisation on GT-side with questionable lighting and shadows
    which rF2 does 100 times better! And here are many people complaining about aliasing/jaggies :rolleyes:
    Take a look at GT, than you know what this mean.

Besides that, graphic is OK for a game on a PS3.

10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I'm well aware of the last gen's limitations.
    I've also moved on from last gen console race games... Simply because I'm not interested in racing games anymore. I'm interested in racing sims.
    And I have yet to try a console sim.

GT's physics are so simple that it just gets extremely boring after a little while.
    If the AI was any good that'd make up for it, but the AI's horrible.
    I don't want to hot lap in cars with shallow physics, arcadish ffb, and still have to suffer horrible framerates.

GT having better graphics than rF2...? I'll just let this one slide. It speaks for itself.

Bottom line is; I don't care for GT one bit anymore, and I find it annoying that the FIA labels this game "authentic" and completely ignores all the real sims out there.
    Money talks, as always, I guess...

11. Domi

Domi Registered

PS3 can handle those physics engines easily, I don't understand why some people thinks that the physics engine of racing simulators are so complex. It's not like they run realtime aerodynamics with billions of particles hitting the car each milisecond...

If physics aren't that accurate in games like GT or Forza, it's because average console gamer doesn't care, as long as the game is playable and enjoyable in a short amount of time, is enough. And it would be insane to have very accurate physics when you have like what, 500 cars? It's just an unrealistic goal imo.

12. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

This is just marketing BS. Bryan Heitkotter for example was the 2011 GTA winner and he spent all his timing racing in an rF1 league. GT is far from his preferred sim although you will NEVER hear him say that publicly. He doesn't make public reference to rF at all. He is probably paid not to. But Bryan is an amazing sim racer and real life racer. He is something like a 5 time SCCA Solo2 national champ. GT didn't produce a good driver, he was a good driver mostly from real life Solo2 racing and simracing in rF1 on the side. GTA just gave him a way to be noticed. Doesn't mean GT is a sim that should be taken serious though.

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I was going to post the same thing. When I see posts like this about CPU power a like to refer people to the taskman to take a look at rF2's CPU load. Assuming your running minimal AI and you have your framerate capped at 60 the CPU load is extremely low. A PS3 should be able to handle rF2's physics without too much trouble. The AI in rF2 run on a more complex physics model than the PS3 is probably capable of. But if you simplified the AI physics some more it should be no problem. And when I say AI physics, I am not talking about their logic, I am referring to the actual physics engine.

Consoles aim for a less complex model because they are geared towards the masses. I wish all sims luck though. If one sim can draw in a new simracer and they end up hooked, they normally end up buying every sim they can get their hands on. Look at hexagramme story a few posts back. We may not have him in our community if it wasn't for GT.

14. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I also think this long term collaboration being announced is pure marketing. Nissan knows that rFactor is a way better sim than GT but they allied with GT. However just looking at GT and rF selling figures one certainly knows were business can be...

FIA might not even know rF. They have readily proven with F1 that they know nothing about racing

I can imagine that FIA would like to support some official Sim Racing championship relatively soon. I think that is the type of collaboration I presume they have agreed.

Therefore, for the sorrow of the real simracing community, a potentially official SR championship would be played with GT :( . Now I need to puke sorry.

enviado mediante tapatalk

15. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Don't worry about the academy guys, they use a good sim when they need to. :)

Sent using Tapatalk

16. Capeta

Capeta Registered

Yep, they use rFactor to work.
    xD

17. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

It would be funny to confirm nissan official racing bteams using rfpro as simulator platform :)

18. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

19. Fraggon

Fraggon Registered

That made my day :D

20. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

My french is terrible. I dont know what is worse if what actually says or what I barely understand... :)